Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Bargain Shopping

One of my obsessions is trying to find tableware bargains. I live in a small city and we really do not have all that many estate sales, so I have to be creative.  One of my favorite places to shop is the Goodwill – yes, I wrote, “Goodwill”!

The nearest Goodwill store to my home is where all of the tableware in my area is sent.  More times than not, I find something wonderful there.  Usually, it is not a complete set, but sometimes it is possible to score big.



Today, I am featuring several bargains, but the stars of the blog are the Villeroy and Boch “Twist Bea” salad plates.  I own discontinued Villeroy and Boch china, so I know how costly it can be to replace.  When I spotted these four salad plates at Goodwill, I knew I had to purchase them.  They were marked a whopping $4.04 for all four.  After returning home with my treasures, I priced them on Replacements and they are asking $79.95 a piece for them! I have no idea why these cost so much, since others in the “Twist” series are much less expensive.  However, I am delighted that I was able to buy mine at the greatly reduced price.




The rattan chargers were purchased at Walmart for $6.96 a piece, which is a lot less than you can pay for comparable rattan chargers elsewhere.  The yellow dinner plates were ordered from Replacements and are “Pearl” by J. C. Penney.  I love this brand of china.  It is usually a solid color and some of the plates are large enough to use as chargers for some of the older, smaller dinner plates.  I paid $5.99 each for these plates and $3.99 for the matching salad plates.







The bamboo flatware was a Steinmart purchase and was on sale, when I bought it. The green napkins were a reduced price purchase at Kohl’s.





Last year, on a birthday trip to Replacements, I discovered their overstock room.  Oh, the bargains there!



 

I found several things and these yellow Fostoria “Moonstone” champagne/sherbets were among them.  I paid $1.99 each for them.  I so wish that all of my purchases at Replacements had been bargains, but I am afraid I splurged a little, too.  All those bargains made it possible, right???


 

The centerpiece topiary and the gorgeous napkin rings were the biggest bargains of all – gifts from two dear friends.  Thank you Sherrie and Anne!

I love finding these bargains and will be writing about many more of them in future blogs.  I hope that you will share your bargain shopping places with me.  I always enjoy discovering new places to shop!

Diane













11 comments:

  1. beautiful, Diane....and that sneak peak of your kitchen is fabulous! I like the way you took these pictures and the angles...nice post..
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mona! I wish we could do some bargain shopping together. Maybe, one of these days!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love!! I bargain shop, too but mostly clothes!! Goodwill does have some treasures if you look!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Carole! I have been to many Goodwill stores and some are a disappointment, but I usually find something I like!! Happy shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you DID get some fabulous bargains! I really love the V&B plates -- almost all their patterns appeal to me -- and the yellow sherbets are darling! I didn't know Replacements sold ANYTHING for $1.99! These pieces set a really pretty table!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Tricia! That overstock room is the most fun!! I wish I had come home with lots more, but now I guess I will have to plan another trip - lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A pretty table and what a great bargain on those V and B plates! I didn't know Replacements had a bargain room -- that would make a trip there worthwhile!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Martha - you are so correct! That overstock room is definitely worth the trip. I bought some plates, too, that were such a bargain! Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, a birthday trip to Replacements?! How wonderful!! Lovely table. Great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My favorite color combination is blue, yellow, and white. This tablescape sings to me! Amazing value for your wonderful finds. A birthday trip to Replacements....that's on the same level as a trip to Paris! Thanks for inviting us for a peak. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks! That birthday trip to Replacements was actually my husband's idea - he is the best!! You can see more about it at Tablescape Times Three, which is the blog that my daughter, granddaughter and I started.

    ReplyDelete