Monday, February 6, 2012

A Gift for You?


According to History.com, Valentine’s Day is a “holiday that celebrates love by exchanging candy and gifts”.  Gifts? Who does not like gifts? What do you like to receive on Valentine’s Day?
       



                                                            A box of candy, perhaps?




                                
                                              Red  roses, the official flowers of the day?
 


                                                       
                                                       A beautiful card from your love?





                                      
                                                  Some jewelry???? Maybe, from Tiffany’s?




                                                                  
                                            Or like most of us bloggers – more tableware?

What do you like to give on Valentine’s Day?  Since my husband’s birthday falls on February 14th, I usually prepare a special meal for him.

This year, I am setting the table for six, so that some of our family members can join in the celebration. It is a big birthday year for my husband, but I do not see those big numbers - I still see the young teen-age boy with whom I fell in love (so many years ago!).




                                                             
                                                           Am I a lucky girl or what?? 




I am using my Ralph Lauren white “Peyton” tablecloth.  Next, Valentine placemats that I bought on sale at Kohl’s last year.


  
The white underplate is “Opal Innocence Carved” by Lenox. I love the romantic swirls on the rim. Next, goes a red Biltmore “Louisa” salad plate, which was purchased at Dillard’s.




On top, holding the candy is a small “Yardley” bowl by Mikasa.  I have owned “Yardley” china for many years and recently broke a dinner plate.  We use it for every day and I truly thought it was indestructible. Alas, it is not!! Fortunately, Replacements has dinner plates in stock.  Unfortunately, the plate will be pretty expensive to replace!!



For the silver, I used a fork and teaspoon in my Gorham “Strasbourg” pattern.  I tried several different silver patterns with the dishes, but I liked the way the curves in this silver mimicked the swirls in the Lenox china.  However, I decided against the “Strasbourg” knives and used George C. Shreve pearl handled dinner knives. I thought they were perfect for this feminine setting. I originally purchased these knives from Replacements to use with an older sterling flatware pattern that I own. I have never found any knives to match the pattern, which was made in 1889 and the pearl handled ones seemed like good substitutes. However, it was difficult to find pearl knives that were the correct dinner size and that were reasonably priced.  Once again, Replacements came to the rescue!



My favorite things on the table are the water glasses.  They are “Diane” by Cambridge. I think the beautiful lacy pattern is perfect for a romantic Valentine’s Day meal!



                                              The red iced tea glasses are “Iris” by Artland.



The lovely gadroon bowl holding the red foil candy hearts was the first piece of “Diane” that I ever owned and was given to me by my thoughtful daughter.  Thanks, Andrea!


                                                       The napkins were an Etsy find.



In the evening, the candles will cast a romantic glow on the table.


Oh, by the way, you probably have more than enough time left to leave hints for your sweetheart, so that you will get exactly what you want for Valentine’s Day – good luck and I hope that you all have a great one!

Diane

P. S. Happy Birthday to my husband!!




Sharing at The Tablescaper http://thetablescaper.blogspot.com/ for Seasonal Sundays
A Stroll Through Life http://astrollthrulife.blogspot.com/  
Between the Naps on the Porch http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/

16 comments:

  1. Diane, your table is perfect to celebrate your handsome valentine on his birthday. You selected beautiful details for this table. I know your guests are going to feel special. Happy Valentine's Day and Happy Birthday to your husband. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah. I hope that you have a beautiful Valentine's Day, too.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this post! I have three pieces of crystal I had never been able to source until I saw your "Diane" by Cambridge gadroon bowl. Mine looks almost exactly like it, so I started with Cambridge and learned that mine appears to be "Rose Point-Clear" pattern 3121. I also have the nite set carafe (minus the tumbler). Thank you again for helping me solve this mystery! The pieces belonged to my Grandmother and hold a special place in my china cabinet.

    Happy Valentine's Day to you and your Sweetie! LOVE-ly table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so excited for you! I spend hours online researching tableware and when I discover the name of a pattern, I am "over the moon". Rose Point is a beautiful Cambridge pattern and is probably their most popular. Lucky you to have inherited such beautiful crystal!

      Delete
  3. Diane, The table is beautifully set, and I love the water glasses.The pattern is so delicate.
    Happy Birthday to your lucky husband and Happy Valentine's Day to you.
    Babs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and Happy Valentine's Day to you, too!

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday to your husband (such a handsome teenager!). Your roses are beautiful but my favorite is those glasses! Here's hoping we all get something in that blue Tiffany box this Valentine's Day!

    Robin
    Robin Flies South

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun to have a Valentine's Day birthday! I know your hubby will appreciate the special table. I love your Opal Innocence Carved -- really lovely and so versatile! And your etched crystal DOES add the perfect touch to your festive table!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday to your hubby! I didn't know "Opal Innocence" came in a "carved" pattern. That's pretty. I don't ask for much on V-Day since my husband is almost never here anyway. Peace & quiet &...OK, you busted me: MORE DISHES! :-) Have a Happy Valentine's Day/Big Birthday for your Husband!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Robin and Tricia! Alycia, you are so right about the dishes! I "busted" myself!

      Diane

      Delete
  7. Happy Birthday to your husband! Love your romantic table and I have to agree with you, the crystal is my absolute favorite! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, romantic table! Love the crystal. Happy Birthday to your sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday to your hubby first. How cute is that picture?!? Your table is beautiful and I agree that crystal is over the top breathtaking! Absolutely gorgeous! Enjoy your meal and celebration there!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  10. The only thing better than a beautiful tablescape is a beautiful love story. Happy Birthday to the hubby! Thank you for inviting us for a peak at your celebration. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh! How lovely! This is a very romantic table. All your beautiful pieces are so coordinated with the red and white colors. The "Diane" crystal is my favorite. Have a Happpy Birthday and Happy Valentine's Day! Pam

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous table! I love all of your beautiful dishes, silver, crystal, and everything! How great that your sweetheart has a double reason to celebrate. Enjoy v-day and his birthday! It looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete