Sunday, February 19, 2012

Let the Good Times Roll!



I love New Orleans! The first glimpse I ever had of the Crescent City was in 1964.  My father drove my mother and me through New Orleans on the way to visit my sister in Texas. Eight years later, my husband and I visited during a three week trip across the country to celebrate his graduation from college.  Here is a photo I took of Jackson Square, during that stay.




Several visits later, I chose to celebrate a big birthday there.  Here is a photo of Jackson Square from that 1999 trip.




When we arrived for the birthday visit, our hotel surprised me with a bottle of champagne waiting for me in my room, along with a gift  my sister had ordered from the hotel. My husband treated me to a birthday lunch at Commander’s Palace and dinner at Begue’s Restaurant. A grand evening on Bourbon Street listening to jazz and blues was the highlight of that special day!




My one regret is that I have never made it to New Orleans for Mardi Gras, so I am bringing Mardi Gras to me this year!



Did you know that the official colors of Mardi Gras were chosen in 1872 by King Rex?
Purple for justice, green for faith and gold for power.

If you would like to know more about the history of Mardi Gras, you can follow this link to read Arthur Hardy’s history (probably more than you ever wanted to know, but so interesting!) -  http://www.neworleansonline.com/neworleans/mardigras/mardigrashistory/mghistory.html





For the tablescape, first I put down a “tablecloth”, which is actually a twin sized bed sheet that I purchased on sale at Walmart for $8.00 – it was in a set that, also, included the fitted sheet and pillow case. Quite a bargain and the perfect color of purple!



The ruffled gold napkins were bought at Florida Linens in Panama City Beach, FL.  Oh, the beautiful placemats and napkins they have!  You can order a few things online, but so many of the things have to be purchased in the store. Worth the trip!!

I bought the green flatware at World Market.

The gold and white plates are from Savinio Designs and were found at Tuesday Morning.

Pier I was the source of the purple balloon wine goblets.

The placemats and feather masks were ordered from the Mardi Gras Outlet online.





The purple centerpiece filled with Mardi Gras beads was, also, a Tuesday Morning find and the gold leaf glass plates beneath the vase were sale purchases at a Corelle outlet store. The purple votive was purchased at World Market.

The Fleur-de-lis napkin rings were, also, bought online at the Mardi Gras Outlet.




The Mardi Gras beads were collected over a number of years.


For those of you who observe Lent, now until Fat Tuesday will be your last few days to indulge.  I hope you all enjoy your celebrations - I am still hoping to celebrate in one of my favorite cities, New Orleans. Maybe, next year??

Diane












17 comments:

  1. I saw your post on the Tablescaper. We lived in New Orleans from 1973-1976. I loved the old part of the city, the incredible food, and the history. Didn't like the suburban living there though. We go back to NO whenever we can. Our oldest son lives here in Texas, but belongs to the Morpheus Krewe..he and his wife have been in NO this month for all the balls, parties, and parades. Laissez les bons temps rouler, indeed! :) Patsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Patsy, I am totally jealous! I know your son and daughter-in-law are having the most fun! Didn't you love the Royal Street shopping? Oh, and the food... Happy Mardi Gras to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did a magnificent job of bringing Mardi Gras into your home. Good for you! I never get myself organized in time. Maybe next year!
    Karen
    Ladybug Creek

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Karen! I understand what you mean about getting organized - there are just so many holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Diane.. I'm back! Just wanted to see more of your tablescapes. Lovely! I'll be back even more often. I'm your newest follower.
    Karen
    Ladybug Creek

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love, love, love your table! Great deal with the sheet, er tablecloth! Purple is a hard color to score. I am totally envious of your fleur de lis napkin rings! I love NO also, but never went during Mardi Gras. I did go to JazzFest once and it was amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never made it JazzFest, but one of my young friend's husband plays there every year. I know you had a great time!

      Delete
  7. I am so happy to view your Mardi Gras Tablescape! The story of going to visit New orleans is great. Thanks for including you sources for your tablescape for I love the plates. The centerpiece is beautiful with the beads and your tablecloth idea is one I will remember! I also posted a Mardi Gras tablescape that was the reason I excited to see your post! Happy Tea Party! Pam

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a wonderful collection of beads, Diane! I really, really like those with the clusters! It's so cool that you shared the photos from 1964 and 1999 with us. I wish I had the photos from our honeymoon in New Orleans, but that was back in the old days when we used actual film. The film was ruined and our pictures were just gone! I thought I recognized that purple votive holder! I was just at World Market this afternoon and wanted to buy every color they had!!!! It looks great on your table centerpiece. I'm headed over to check out Florida Linens website!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alycia - I cannot believe that your photos were lost from your honeymoon. How awful! Doesn't World Market have amazing things? I wish I had a store close by, but I do not!

      Delete
  9. Wonderful table!!! I love your place setting...especially the placemats and napkins! Lucky you to have actually visited New Orleans to get the flavor of it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am very jealous! There are only six states I haven't been to, and Louisiana is one of them. Your table is gorgeous! I love the centerpiece you put together, and the placemats and napkin rings are just perfect! Thanks for sharing your table and your memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elaine - you are doing much better, than I! I still have 11 states to go. We should have been to Alaska, but we had to cancel a trip there a few years ago at last minute. Isn't travel wonderful? That is one of my big obsessions and I will be doing a blog on travel soon!

      Delete
  11. Oh how pretty those masks are! Your table looks like a "good time" for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Mardi Gras table is stunning, with the great looking masks and that special colouring it has. I'd love to eat in a table like that and what a great trip you had in 99...maybe you should repeat it? Hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your blog, it's my style, as I specially love tablescaping, dishes and all accessories and elements that go into it...so I am your newest follower and hope you like to do the same, this way I will find what you post inmediatelly! So nice meeting you,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for using our products in your post. Pretty tablescape!

    ReplyDelete