Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Time to Think Pink!!


It is already spring in the South and in my city that means one thing – Cherry Blossom time! This year is the 30th anniversary of our Cherry Blossom Festival and everything is starting to look pink!  The festival calls itself “The Pinkest Party on Earth” and I do believe that it true. Some of you might have seen the cherry trees in Washington, DC – did you know that we have more?

The Yoshino cherry trees are just starting to bloom – all 300,000 of them! It is perfect timing, because the Festival begins on March 16th this year. You should join us for all of the fun activities!  You can find the calendar Here.

I have set a table for dessert and coffee for four and pink is the color of the day! I began with a white Battenburg tablecloth with pink placemats layered on top.

 

Next, I placed a pink “Miss America” dinner plate.  This stunning pattern was made by the Hocking Glass Company from 1935-1938. It constantly amazes me that other women lovingly took care of these pieces, so that some of them made it all these years with no chips on these edges!



A pink “Block Optic” pattern salad plate was set on top of the “Miss America” plate.  The “Block Optic” depression glass plate was, also, made by the Hocking Glass Company from 1929-1933.



On top, I put a salad plate in the “Mountain Cherry” pattern made by Narumi, which was one of the china manufacturers that Mikasa used.  It is my understanding that Mikasa never manufactured any china – they merely sold it under their name.  This is one of my favorite patterns by Narumi.  Of course, I would love the cherry blossoms on it!



I used matching cups and saucers with the covered sugar and creamer.



The special flatware is sterling by Blackinton. It was made in 1903 and it is called “Cherry Blossom” – perfect!!   I am using forks that I have seen identified as old pickle forks and as pastry forks.  I am definitely using them as pastry forks for this dessert party.



Also, I am using gold washed “Cherry Blossom” teaspoons, pie server, sugar spoon and sauce ladle.



The pearl handle dessert (or breakfast) knives are by Gorham.



The Fostoria crystal is actually identified as the color Rose.  This pattern was used as the blank for the etching on other patterns, such as Fostoria “Versailles”, “June” and “Berry”.  Some of the pieces are named Fostoria “Fairfax” and some are simply called pattern #5098/5298.  I had to learn the hard way that you can more easily find the stemware under the #5098/5298 identification. I had been looking under Fostoria “Fairfax” and I could find mostly items that were not stemware.  The pieces on my table consist of a water goblet and high sherbet, which will hold cherry ice cream of course!



Here is a photo of the underside of the optic bowl on the sherbet.  It is the petal shape (six petals) that helps me identify this pattern, along with the single knob on the stem that has six “cuts” in it.



Speaking of cherry ice cream – if you come to our festival, free ice cream is served daily in one of the downtown parks! 

I am using another Fostoria “Fairfax” piece, which is a mayonnaise bowl.  It is holding a pink cherry sauce to make the cake even more decadent!



I chose pink napkins with white overlays.  If you saw my Mardi Gras blog, you might have noticed the gold sheer napkins that I used on that table.  I purchased the gold and the white ones from Florida Linens in Panama City Beach, Florida.



The napkin rings were a recent purchase from Steinmart.



If you decide to join us for the festival, be sure and pick up this year’s poster.  Some of you might recognize the name of the artist, Steve Penley, a native of this Cherry Blossom city! The posters, also, are available online  Here.

For those of you who cannot join us, I so wish you could see our beautiful trees in full bloom.  It is a sight to behold, especially, if you love pink!

Diane




Sharing at Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Thursday

Sharing at How Sweet the Sound for Pink Saturday

Sharing at The Tablescaper for Seasonal Sundays












24 comments:

  1. so beautiful Diane and I do love pink...it was one of my Grandmother's favorite colors so a lot of the dishes I got from her have pink in them...
    great blog...
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, you have got me hooked!! I LOVE pink and your table makes me breathe in all the pink goodness!!! It's hard being a pinkaholic :-)

    Jocelyn @
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This tablescape is lovely. I wish I could be there to see all the cherry blossoms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful table to celebrate cherry blossom time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You certainly dress a pretty table Diane ... love all your pink glassware, it's gorgeous.
    HPS, enjoy your St.Pat's weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't think of a better word for this table than simply pretty. LOVE it!
    HPS and St. Pat's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HPS!


    Free ice cream?!!! Love that!


    Gabriela

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post.. Loved the details on all your pretty pieces. Each piece is perfection by itself and when combined with the other pieces it's certainly a symphony.. stunning. xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  9. Diane - This is such a beautiful table! It's so pleasing to the eye. You have some beautiful pieces. You certainly know a lot about your pieces, so I hesitate to ask, but the Battenburg I know is certainly not as pretty or as fine as the beautiful tablecloth you have on your table. I just love this table. I have just a few pieces of pink Depression glass, and I'm on the look out for now (come to think of it, the pattern I have is Cherry Blossom!!) Thanks for sharing your beautiful creation. ~Zuni

    ReplyDelete
  10. PS - Thought you'd like to know I went to follow you and I already am! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Diane, The Cherry Festival sounds like so much fun and I bet it is just so beautiful. YOur tablescape really does it justice, you have such lovely pieces. Happy Pink Saturday. ~Marti

    ReplyDelete
  12. Diane, your Cherry Festival sounds delightful, as is your table setting--so many treasures--and the cake and sauce look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. All of the dinnerware and crystal is just awsome. Such beautiful accessories, the napkins are so pretty. Sounds like a very special festival.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those dishes are lovely and that cake looks wonderful.
    Every thing looks beautiful. Your trees are really something. Happy Pink Saturday. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your tablescape is gorgeous! I love your china Miss America, it's lovely. The crystal is amazing, just gorgeous! Everything is beautiful. Come over, I'm also at Seasonal Sunday.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness Diane, I am just bowled over by this post!! I love the pics of the cherry trees; they are some of my very favorite trees. I would love to see them in such a large number as you have.

    But your tablescape is definitely the star of the show. It's truly one of the prettiest I've seen. I love pink, and this pale pink just makes me swoon. All your pieces are just gorgeous, and you are so knowledgeable about them.

    I love your linens, your lovely cake and dessert sauce, your Miss America plates, and the beautiful sterling flatware. Thanks for sharing this with us, and Happy Seasonal Sunday.

    Denise at Forest Manor

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would love to see cherry trees in bloom sometime, so thank you for sharing the photos of both the gorgeous trees and your beautiful pink tablesetting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this beautiful pink table! What a fun party you could have!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful tablescape and I love your tree in full pink bloom. Just gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  20. My Yoshino cherry tree is in bloom up here in Marietta! I love the cherry blossom time. Love the pink glass plates and the frill napkins. My life is always pink and Cherry Blossom time makes it more so! Pink thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love Macon'sCherry Blossom Festival!! A beautiful celebration table setting.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful tablescape.Cherry trees are so beautiful, I love when they're in bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So beautiful. The shading is spectacular. Great to have you be a part of Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, your tablescape is just beautiful, love every item on the table. Thanks for sharing. I am a new follower, hope you can do the same. Please consider removing the verification.

    ReplyDelete