Saturday, April 14, 2012

Obsession Confession, Guest Blog!


I shared with you in an earlier blog that my two youngest grandchildren had decided to decorate tables, when they were spending time with me recently.  I published my granddaughter’s Easter table the day after Easter and, now, it is time to share my grandson’s table.


Carson has one great obsession – Lego building bricks! He came to me, during his visit and said that it was his turn to “do” a table and that he wanted to use the Lego pieces for the theme. He decided to use colors that represented the Lego bricks, so we used all of the colors, except green.

I showed him different choices and he picked out the tableware that he wanted to use.  I truly helped him only with the placemats and answered questions about the placement of the napkins and silverware.  I was not even in the room with him most of the time and thought it was wonderful that he realized that there is a correct way to place these pieces.  I photographed the table just as he decorated it.


Black placemats went down first.  Then, Carson put a red Biltmore “Louisa” dinner plate on the placemat.  Next he added blue, yellow and white smaller plates to the setting.  I think he was constructing the tablescape, just as he builds his Lego creations.


He chose to use a combination of red and white flatware and “Sunflower” Fiesta napkins.

The Spiegelau footed juice glasses that the two youngest grandchildren use all of the time at my house were the last pieces added. They love having their own “goblets” that fit their smaller hands.


Of course, the centerpiece had the starring role on this table!  Carson’s main Lego obsession is the “Star Wars” collection, but for this table, he shared other pieces and figures.


We had knights on horses and unicorns.


Little people rowed to dinner.  



A couple of characters brought their house along.


Batman and Robin made an appearance.


An astronaut joined us, while a shark kept watch.


Carson has been obsessed with Lego bricks, as long as I can remember.  In 2010, my daughter and I took the three grandchildren to England and France.  One of the mandatory stops was Legoland in Windsor, England. Here is a photo of the grandchildren and me spelling out L-E-G-O in London, while waiting on the bus for Windsor.


This is the entrance to Legoland.  Even though it was so hot that day, we had a wonderful time. I am not an amusement park person, but this one was by far the best that I have ever visited.


The year before in 2009, Carson was able to visit the large Lego store in Berlin, Germany with his mother and older sister.  Here he is with a Lego image of former President John F. Kennedy giving his famous 1963 speech in Berlin with the Brandenburg Gate behind him.

I am thrilled that my grandchildren are so creative! They are so much fun to be around and they teach me news ways to look at the world all of the time.

Carson, thank you for sharing your obsession! I love you.

Nana



















10 comments:

  1. He has quite an artistic eye..with such an architectural bent...I love the way Carson set this table..he did a really good job....way to go Carson...seems like tablescaping has already been passed to the next generation Diane..

    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love Carson's colour blocking and his placement of all the little themed characters. Rowing to dinner sounds like fun
    And I always knew JFK had many layers. He looks like he could be peeled in that shot. The trip to Legoland looks like so much fun too.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute that he wanted to "do" a table too. Before I read your whole post I was thinking I would suggest taking him to LegoLand! I guess you already thought to do that! I really want to go but I don't have any grandchildren and my youngest is 24!

    Robin
    Robin Flies South

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful that your grandkids get to share on your obsession. My granddaughter spent her spring break here and I tired to get her to be interested in tablescaping with me. She said "I want to be surprised when I see what you have done", her tactful way of telling me to do it all by myself, lol. Love your grandson's table. My son who loves Starwars even if he is almost 40 now, will enjoy this...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, how adorable grands you have and they love tablescaping with you! Their lego touch is great, just perfect! I love it when they participate amd my little grandgirls love to bake with me, but not tablescape, lol! Thanks for your lovely and sweet visit. Have a nice Sunday.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi lovely lady.
    Wow Carson has a eye for mixing colors good for him!! He did a great job putting this Tablescape together.way to go Carson...seems like tablescaping has already been passed to Him. Thanks so much for your sweet comments on my French Dinning. I hope you are having a great weekend.
    I see I do follow you already.
    XXOO Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this entry. What a creative and fun table setting with a lot of backstory to make it so personal.

    My daughter was never that into Legos (all her friends were though so she got plenty of time to play with them over at their homes) but we visited LegoLane in California and I thought it was AMAZING. I had no idea they had one in Europe. Very cool.

    I dropped by after you left such a sweet comment on my post about a Percy Jackson party. I am basically stalking you now bc I am eager to see the Nancy Drew Party you mentioned. I LOVED Nancy Drew as a kid and would have loved to attend such a party as a kid (or as an adult to be honest bc I've hardly grown up. LOL)

    I will poke around and see if I can find it.

    My sister, Reba and I, share a blog and we are following yours now. From what I can see, I am sure I will enjoy your posts. Your blog is giving me the same giddy vibes I got when I first visited Susan at Between Naps on the Porch. Stimulation overload in the table dept. - but in a good way. :D

    Eldarose

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great job on this table! The colors are wonderful and perfect with the legos. Oh, how my nephew would love this table!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job Carson...you are very creative...I love your LEGO theme and all the bright colors. Thanks for sharing your great work...Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's great! I am impressed he wanted to do a table!

    ReplyDelete