Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Mother's 100th Birthday (reprise)


For Mother's Day this year, I thought I would share a post that I did for Tablescape Times Three in April, 2011 for my mother's 100th birthday.  Happy Mother's Day, all!


Dear Mom,
So wish you were here. I am having a little celebration to honor your 100th birthday.



I am serving strawberries and chocolate cake – your favorite. It reminds me of the stories that you used to tell about World War II and how all of the neighborhood ladies would pool their sugar rationing cards to buy sugar, so you could make fudge for everyone. I can certainly understand. Your fudge was wonderful!


I know how much you loved flowers, so I am using plates with flowers and a big bouquet on the table. I remember how you loved to dress in clothes with bright colors and flowers on them and the arguments we had, because I would wear only plain clothes. Guess what? I still wear plain clothes, but I always think of you, when I see the flowered ones.


I put the flowers in the Niloak winged victory vase that you gave me. I am really sorry that my friend broke your matching one, when we were in the seventh grade. These green vases show up on eBay sometimes and I immediately think that I should buy you a replacement. Then, I realize that you are not here to enjoy it.


I am using salad forks from the silver that I chose, when I married. I apologize for giving you only a month to plan that wedding. However, you will be glad to know that the marriage is still going strong. We just celebrated our 43rd anniversary!

I am inviting Andrea and her two girls to celebrate with me. I wish you could know my three grandchildren. You really would love them. They all are such interesting people and all three are voracious readers like you and I. Thank you for giving me your love of books and all of the arts. Those gifts have made my life so much richer, than it would have been without them.


About those grandchildren – did you know that on the day of your memorial service, Andrea told me on the steps of the church that she was expecting our first grandchild? What a bittersweet moment that was! However, it was such a wonderful blessing! You will also be thrilled that the baby was born on your mother’s birthday and she was named “Emma” like your mother.


I am showing a photo of you, when you were young. It is appropriate that you are sitting in the middle, since you were definitely the middle child. Your older brother and sister are not in this photo, but it must have been interesting to grow up with three older and three younger siblings.

Well, I guess that I had better close for now, but I wanted to let you know that I did not forget this important day. I, also, wanted to tell you that I love you and miss you, but most of all – Happy 100th Birthday!


Love,

Your daughter, Diane











34 comments:

  1. Precious, precious, and very loving. Thank you for sharing this touching post. Happy Mother's Day to you AND your mom!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Diane, I missed this the first time around, so thank you for reposting! I have tears in my eyes after reading this sweet letter to your mother. The circle of life becomes really apparent at our stage of life. A lovely remembrance for Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful tribute to your Mother. I know she would have been proud of her precious grandchildren. My own mother never knew hers. Thanks for sharing.

    Jocelyn @
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this simply wonderful tribute to your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What wonderful memories you have of your Mother! The special lady is seen by you in the grand children. I am fortunate to have my Mom in my life she will be 90 her birthday in October! I love the photos you have of your Mother and the lovely heirloom vase. Have a wonderful Mother's Day and thanks for reposting this one.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! My mom would turn 100 next Dec.
    I sure hope they knew how much we loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what a wonderful tribute and Happy 100th Birthday to your mom! I'm sure she's smiling down and wishing she could join you for chocolate cake with strawberries on those beautiful floral plates!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved reading this post. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was such a touching post. Loved it and I know what's it's like to wish your mother was here now to share the good things in your life now. I like to think they know.

    Robin
    Robin Flies South

    ps buy that matching vase!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Diane, This make me cry! What a touching post, filled with love and a daughter's devotion! You mother must be so proud as she reads this!!!!
    Happy Mother's Day

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw, geez, Diane...I'm with Yvonne on this one. I'm all teared up and looking around for a tissue. How incredibly sweet! Funny that you still wear the "plain" clothes but at least remember how much your Mom loved the flowered ones. Touching that you remember things like your Mom's great fudge and the story behind the other vase. I am going to admit that I laughed a little when I saw the photo of your Mom with her siblings. Those BOWS in their hair!!! A strong wind would have just taken them aloft like "The Flying Nun"!!! :-) Happy Mother's Day to you. I hope you can spend it with the love in your heart of those still with us as well as that of those gone before us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely tribute to your mother.
    Happy Mother's Day, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful post and full of love! I can tell it was written from the heart. Happy Mother's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Diane, you forgot to warn us about kleenex.. A truly touching tribute to a beautiful woman. Happy Mothers Day.. xo Marlis (go buy the vase for yourself!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, what a beautiful tribute. Just so touching. I agree, buy that vase. It will do your heart good to see both of them together.

    Happy Mother's Day.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  17. This could possibly be the sweetest and most heartfelt tribute post ever!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awww, that was so very sweet! I loved reading your post. Happy Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful idea to post about her 100th. We all wish that our moms could really pass that milestone, but even if they don't, they are so alive with us in heart, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sweet tribute to your mom. It's fun to see these family photos. Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely, lovely post! Your old photos are great and your mom was beautiful! Happy Mother's Day and God bless you and the mom's in your family.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  22. Trying to type through tear-filled eyes. This was just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a charming post. How very fortunate you are to have had your mother for 100 years. Happy Mother's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such a sweet post to honor your mother! I enjoyed catching up with the previous one, too. Since I wrote a book about my mother, I suppose I have said it all, and so I didn't write about her this year.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Diane, what a touching post. I am sure your mom is very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am so glad you posted this again. What a lovely tribute to your mom? I love the picture of your mom sitting on the steps....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  27. I don't think we ever get too old to remember our mothers no matter how many years pass without them.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I agree this is such a lovely and touching post.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Diane, I remembered reading this post! I remember the bouquet of flowers and the little chocolate cake. I am glad you shared it again and on this special day. Happy Mother's Day. I am now following you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a sweet tribute to your Mom! Such great memories and milestones!! Thanks for stopping by!! My son lives in Bainbridge Georgia. Hope your Mother's Day is special!
    Miss Bloomers

    ReplyDelete
  31. You have put your precious memories into such a beautiful post. Lovely details about what she liked and how much she would have LOVED her grandchildren. What a special post indeed.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a wonderful special tribute to your mother! So uniquely and well done! I didn't see your first post and so glad you re-posted it! Beautiful!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  33. Diane..I really like your post ..it just showed up today for me...go figure....but at least it finally showed up and I got to read it....Happy late Mother's Day to you..
    Mona

    ReplyDelete