Wednesday, June 20, 2012

At the Beach!

Kathleen at Cuisine Kathleen has issued a challenge for June for a summer beach post.  I decided that I would take up the challenge and shoot this blog at our condo on the Emerald Coast of Florida.  Can you see the emerald colored water?  It is gorgeous!

I really do not keep much china at the beach.  We have had the condo for less than a year and it had never been furnished, when we bought it.  We have been trying to get that done and I have not been concentrating on the tableware that much!  Hard to believe, I know. The main pattern there is Fiesta chocolate. I understand that most of you are thinking – who wants to use brown at the beach? I do, remember it is my favorite color!  We do use blues with it.  Anyway, back to the story.

I really did not have anything cute to use, so my husband and I made a run to Destin, FL to the Old Time Pottery store there.  I had never been (!).  Wow, wow and wow!!  It was almost too overwhelming, but I was on a mission to find cute things for this post.


The first things that I found were these fish plates. I thought the colors would fit into our condo color scheme (I guess I should do a before-and-after of that in a blog).


The store had a matching lantern that we could use during the evenings on our balcony.  I bought a battery candle for it, because the breezes outside would blow out a regular candle.


I found the perfect Margarita glasses in just the right shade of blue.


I thought the green of the Margaritas would look nice with the emerald water!


The blue napkins were also purchased at Old Time Pottery, as well.  I bought some other items, too, but I will have to show you those in another post.  Let’s just say that I have a new obsession about that store!!


I still thought I needed a few things, so we made a run to World Market (I wish I had one of those near my real home!).  I found these cocktail forks and knives there.  I loved the handles – they reminded me of the sea, somehow.


The wicker chargers, which are more like a shallow bowls, were purchased at World Market, too. They will be handy for carrying plates outside.


For this post, I actually cooked!  This was our dinner that evening – boiled Gulf shrimp and cocktail sauce.  O.K., for you readers who know me and understand my condiment phobia, I did not really eat the cocktail sauce!  However, my plate looked empty without it!

The Margaritas were a perfect accompaniment – icy cold on a warm evening.


Later, we enjoyed a glass of wine, while we watched the sun set.  Oh, how relaxing is our view! O.K., for you readers who know me – you know that I did drink the wine – lol!!



Kathleen, I hope that this is what you had in mind, when you asked for beach settings!  Mine is not elaborate, but it is authentic!!

Diane














 




27 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful tablescape with the most perfect background setting! Love the cocktail forks...they are so unique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable fish plates in your beautiful beachside setting! I can feel those ocean breezes now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How very lovely with the sea as your backdrop! Yikes! Very nice....

    ReplyDelete
  4. The table and view are gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Diane, First, let me say you have an amazing hubby who not only vacations with you at this exquisite location but also takes you shopping to buy dishes for a tablescape! And your table is so pretty too--and delicious! The wine also looks refreshing. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am SO glad you were able to get to Old Time Pottery!!! Isn't it just the greatest?!??!? I LOVE that place! We have one about 20 minutes or so from our house, and I try to get over there a couple of times a month. They always have such fun stuff, and it seems like they add to their inventory pretty often. It's one of those places you could spend 3 or 4 hours in (and hundreds of dollars!!!) if you're not careful!!! The fish plates you found are perfect not only for this beach challenge, but for your color scheme there at the condo. Brown is a great neutral to work with, and it becomes very "beachy" when paired with blue or the emerald green of that fabulous water in the background!!! Now what is this weird thing about an aversion to condiments??!?!?!! That's a new one on me! So funny!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. With that view who cares whats on the table! LOL!! But you did a great job. I love those fish plates. I love brown and blue together and you did a great job. Love the flatware handles! ~~Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am loving the view from your condo, I would string up a hammock there and sleep peacefully. Great finds at Old Time Pottery. Very lovely table for two. And I like the brown. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your table. Very good tablescape.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember that my grandaddy always used to have only one thing on his plate at a time during meals. That would have probably eliminated condiments for him, too. You did a great job on your tables cape...I think that you have the beginnings of a great condo tablescaping collection! Thanks for inviting us for a peak. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  11. While some of us had to have the ocean next to our table you have the real McCoy...what a beautiful setting for a meal. Love the fish dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love those fish plates.. omg they are fabulous. Sadly, not OTP anywhere around here. I love your view.. it's spectacular. The table is charming and you pulled this one off so well. xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am really wondering why my sister did not take me to Old Time Pottery the last time I visited her! We do not have them in Colorado. I love your color combination (I love brown, too!) and it really complements the beautiful emerald sea in the background. Never heard of someone with a condiment phobia before! Would love to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Old Time Pottery is a great place, the one near us closed :-(

    Love the turquoise with the brown! Fish plates are so cute! Nice tablescape with the perfect setting!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lucky you to be so close to sea! It is a lovely little table :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Diane, I am jealous of your condo! We visit Sandestin two or three times a year and rent one and always have a great time, no matter the weather. But I have never been to Old Time Pottery -- must remedy that on our next visit! I agree with you about the amazing view from the balcony!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You made the absolute best choices for your table, Diane, starting with the condo you chose :) . What a lovely table, and of course, the backdrop is beautiful. Beautiful, romantic table for two. ~Zuni

    ReplyDelete
  18. Old Time Pottery down at the beach-y areas has a great selection of stuff, perfect for a condo or cottage. Show us the rest of your place! I am dying to find one I can afford.

    Your table is perfect, and I can't wait to see what else you bought. I think I am going to thaw a bag of the last shrimp we brought home. The condo where we stayed gave us some sort of generous rebate incentive in cash no less, and I saved it till we were leaving and bought a lot of shrimp which I transported home on ice and froze. It has to do till we can get back.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You get points for actually being on the beach. My daughter's good friends are lifeguards in Destin and have said how beautiful it is there. Old Time Pottery is quite the experience. Mine is near the IKEA so you pretty much need a whole weekend to get through the 2 stores! Your margarita looks wonderful in it's new glass. This is my kind of dinner and I would eat the cocktail sauce too!

    Robin
    Robin Flies South

    ReplyDelete
  20. •"The voice of the sea is seductive; never ceasing, whispering, clearing, murmuring, inviting the soul to wander for a spell in the abysses of solitude; to lose itself in mazes of inward contemplation. The voice of the sea speaks to the soul. The touch of the sea is sensuous, enfolding the body in its soft, close embrace."

    Those cocktail forks and knives made me think of this quote.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love all your new "finds." Very cute fish plates and I love the stemware..gorgeous color of blue. Margaritas and shrimp cocktails overlooking the ocean sounds like the perfect evening.
    When all you people go to Old Time Pottery, will you please ask them to open a store in Southern California? Please? Thanks ever so much!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Diane, this is wonderful! What a perfect setting, gorgeous! Love what you picked at OTP, I have never been, I would love it!
    I'll eat your cocktail sauce, I love it just on a cracker!
    Thanks so much for linking this lovely setting up to Let's Dish and glad it inspired , I mean enabled you to go shopping, Lol! It's a good thing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Diane this is gorgeous, everything in your fabulous table is amazing! I love the dishes, flatware and the cocktail sauce! Thanks for sharing and for your wonderful visit, I do appreciate so much! The chinese girl is hand made and has bracelets in her and she has a partner standing up with another bird in her hand. You've seen the teenage girl and her friend is like an older pretty miss. I usually keep them both under cloches, lol..Have a great weekend.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a fun and relaxing table. and the food looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  25. love, love it...and your view is amazing.....I know you are enjoying setting up housekeeping at your new condo...can't wait to see all the dishes you stash away there.....LOL love your post
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, the view from your condo is magnificent. Wishing I was sitting at your beachy table and could eat a bite of your boiled shrimp. Your fish plates are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Perfect coastal tablescape. The fish plates are perfect for the shrimp cocktail. Gorgeous view from the condo. I'm ready for our trip to the beach, but we won't be going for a few more weeks.

    ReplyDelete