Sunday, June 24, 2012

The Land of the Free


When I think of America’s birthday, I usually think of flags waving, parades or family barbeques.This year, I came across some plates that I had never seen before and decided to use the salad plates in my tablescape. They are called, “An American for All Seasons”.  I love the idea of Americans going about the business of living all year – a free people choosing how to spend their lives.

As we celebrate this July 4th, I hope that we remember the sacrifices that were made to give us that freedom. The founding fathers put everything on the line – their land, their fortunate and their lives. I personally would like to remember the two ancestors of mine who fought in the American Revolution, Josiah Daniel and Arthur Jordan, both of Virginia.


For my table this holiday, I started with red, white, and blue placemats with silver stars from Kohl’s.


I added blue chargers from Horchow, then red “Louisa” Biltmore plates from Dillard’s. The “An American for All Season” salad plates by Nikko went on top.

Since there are only four seasons and I set a table for six, I had to use duplicates of a couple of the seasons.

Here are the four different designs:

                                                                             Spring


                                                                           Summer

                                                                             Autumn

                                                                           Winter

I have not purchased the dinner plates, yet, but they are similar.  The do have one important addition to the border – two American flags.


I am sure that many of you will recognize the blue Libbey goblets.  I bought them at Dollar Tree and I think almost every tablescaper owns either the blue or the green ones.  Some of you may own both. What a bargain at a dollar apiece!!

I added a Schott-Zwiesel “Delilah” wine glasses.


Red and white flatware was mixed together – both colors came from Walmart.


White napkins from Dillard’s and red napkin rings from Bed, Bath and Beyond completed the setting.


For the centerpiece, I used a cut-out metal lantern that spells U-S-A. I found it at Big lots. I filled it with sparkly stems that, if you really use your imagination, could look like fireworks! I covered everything with a glass cloche from T J Maxx.  I will add a battery powered candle to it in the evening, as well as the four red and blue “star” votive holders in the middle of the table.

I wish for you all a very safe and happy 4th of July.  I, also, wish that all of us reflect on what freedom really means – the risks and the rewards. Happy Birthday, America!!


Diane



















8 comments:

  1. Great July 4th table! I love the salad plates, I haven't seen those yet in Blogland. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those plates really add an intersting touch to the red, white and blue. I love how you topped your centerpiece with glass (makes it a little more formal for the dining room!)

    Robin
    Robin Flies South

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a pretty patriotic table! I love the seasons plates. They have a great vintage look to them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely patriotic tablescape! I love the cream soups in your header by the way.

    Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Diane,
    I have just awarded your blog the Sunshine Award...

    Love,
    Mona
    http://hiddenartofhomemaking.blogspot.com/2012/06/sunshine-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://hiddenartofhomemaking.blogspot.com/2012/06/sunshine-award.html

    Diane,
    you have just been awarded the Sunshine Award.....

    Love,
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful red white and blue for July 4th. I love the Nikko salad plates. What a wonderful find they are! Perfect for the 4th.

    ReplyDelete