Sunday, December 16, 2012

Obsession Number Five




Do you have a Christmas china pattern that you absolutely love? My obsession is “Christmas Tree” by Spode.  I first bought pieces of the pattern years ago, when I had moved into a new house that had a very strong wallpaper pattern in the dining room.  I realized one day that “Christmas Tree” would actually look pretty good in there and saw on television that QVC had a set for sale. I excitedly ordered the set, which included eight dinner plates, salad plates, mugs and wine glasses. Over the last 20 years, I have added to the pieces and, even though the wallpaper is long gone, this pattern is still my favorite. I, now, have enough place settings to feed an army – well, at least a couple of squads!!






Every year, after Thanksgiving dinner, I change all the china in my china cabinets to “Christmas Tree” and some pieces of Villeroy and Boch “Christmas Toys” that my husband and I have collected through the years.  Did I ever write how much I miss those wonderful Villeroy and Boch outlet stores???


This year, I thought it would be fun to show a few different settings with “Christmas Tree”, since I have decided that it really almost goes with everything.



The first setting is the one that I use most years on my dining room table.  I use a Vera Bradley tablecloth, gold chargers and the “Christmas Tree” china.  I add Gorham “Strasbourg” flatware, since I usually have a crowd on Christmas and I have the most place settings of that sterling pattern.


For stemware, I use some of my “Christmas Tree” wine glasses and a gold-rimmed water goblet from Maxim. Green napkins and gold and silver napkins rings complete the setting.


In the center of the table, I use a collection of Villeroy and Boch and Spode pieces – a Christmas tree, a rocking horse and jack-in-a box sugar and creamer, and a Teddy Bear teapot. My grandchildren have always enjoyed these.




For the next “Christmas Tree” setting, I used a red and green plaid Linex tablecloth and napkins that I purchased at Old Time Pottery. I added green place mats and put pieces of “Christmas Tree” china on top.



The red, white and green flatware is made by Cambridge and is called “Holly Jolly” – so festive!!


The crystal stemware consists of a Concentrix dark red wine glass from Tuesday Morning and a green Tiffin “Killarney” (stem #17453) water goblet from Replacements.


tried two different centerpieces. One is a ceramic Santa cookie jar given to me by a friend and one is a Christopher Radko Santa that is a music box and plays “Jingle Bells”.  Which do you like the best – I think I prefer the Radko, but it is difficult to see your fellow diners over him!



For the last table setting, I used a white tablecloth and plaid placemats. The big secret here is that these are the same placemats used in the last table setting, only reversed. Two for one – don’t you love something that can do double duty??


On top of the placemats, I used a white charger from Maryland china, a red Biltmore “Louisa” dinner plate and a “Christmas Tree” salad plate. I used white, even though the “Christmas Tree” pattern is cream, to show that you can use this pattern with either color.



The sterling flatware is “French Renaissance” by Reed and Barton and the napkins are a mixture of red and green ones that I purchased many years ago.


The green crystal balloon glasses were interesting purchases.  I own six of these.  The first four, I bought at Goodwill and sometime later, the other two showed up on eBay!  I have no idea who made them, but I love the emerald green color and the etched design.  The water goblet is by Schott-Zwiesel in the “Delilah” pattern.


The centerpiece was made from a small faux arrangement of holly in a gold container with real holly added, along with a couple of pine cones sprayed white.  I put a large glass cloche over the arrangement.  Another secret here is that I was worried about putting the damp holly on my white tablecloth, so I cut a round piece of white freezer paper that exactly fit inside the cloche and put the paper down first, before I added the real holly.  No harm came to the tablecloth and it was almost impossible to see the difference between the tablecloth and the paper.  Problem solved!


I hope that you have enjoyed seeing a few “looks” with my favorite Christmas china. I would love to see your Christmas china obsession! Hope your holidays are fantastic and I will leave you all with my burning question for Santa…






P. S. Some of you might have been wondering why I have not been blogging for the past six months.  After the holidays, I plan on posting a blog about what I have been doing.  I have missed all of you!!
 




 

 
 

 


 


 



 







25 comments:

  1. Diane, Every setting is just beautiful..and I am so glad to see you back..I have missed your blogs and seeing your wonderful tables....Merry Christmas my dear friend...
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tablescape are so warm and inviting. I love your beautiful sterling flatware.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very festive! Your tablescapes are divine. Happy Holidays :) Seasons Greetings from Australia♥ ~Pernilla

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very festive and beautiful!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Hope to see you on my blog:)

    Happy Holidays and Warm Seasons Greetings from Singapore~Sanghamitra.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of them are so pretty. I've never seen that holly jolly flatware. Love it! I'm also loving that white charger in the last setting. Also, your china cabinet is gorgeous. Enjoyed getting the inspiration of several settings. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing the different table settings with the Spode Christmas Tree pattern! It shows just how versatile it is and how lovely your table settings are. The mix of the red plate with the reticulated white charge plus the Spode salad is my favorite. Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woohoo you are back! And you've enthralled us with 3 amazing tables. I too have spode Christmas tree pattern. Love them, They were my first Christmas dishes. I almost gave them to the daughter in law but came to my senses. I love the plaid tablecloth, i love the first more formal dinner. Just amazing all of them. I wish you the merriest of Christmases and many many blessings for this season and next year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! I love all of these! Thanks for showing how versatile this china is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Diane, I, too, change over my everyday dishes to this pattern the day after Thanksgiving! Don't you just love it? It is so versatile and interesting too. Love the way you have explained all the different looks and your Radko Santa is wonderful. I'm looking forward to seeing more posts from you! Merry Christmas! Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love it, Linda! It looks wonderful with so many colors. However, I am not sure all of them fit well into a Christmas scheme!! Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  10. If you tell us you ran off to join the Secret Service, I just don't know what I'll do! You HAVE been missed, but you came back slammin'!!! Aha! I've got it! You've been away training under Martha Stewart? Seems to me that Martha would be able to show us all how to make all these great tables using one set of dishes! Or maybe...just maybe...you ran off and married Richard Gere!!! Think about it...he hasn't made a movie in a long time. Plenty of time for honeymooning with his secret new wife...YOU!!! That's it! I guessed it! I'm going to tell everyone! :-) Seriously...you did a great job here, and this is a great teaching tool for people who wonder about how to make dishes work in multiple scenarios. Welcome back, Mrs. Gere....uh, I mean Diane! I look forward to reading your wedding announcement...uh, I mean your next post! :-) Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a hoot, Alycia!! I cannot tell you about the CIA - oops - I mean the Secret Service - hahahaha!! However, I will spill the rest of the story soon...

      Delete
  11. I love that dish pattern and yes, it does go with everything! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Spode is such a wonderful pattern. I love your flatware too. They are both so classic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have always admired the Spode pattern, and it is sooo timeless. I love the three tables, and I want to get some of that fun Cambridge flatware. Love the white charger too. Joni

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, I love the different looks of each table...my favorite is the dark plaid, with the Santa and festive flatware!
    Wishing you a Merry Christmas!, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your tablescapes are all beautiful. You gave me so many wonderful ideas. I also own the Christmas Tree pattern. 'Didn't know it would work with so many different tablecloths. Glad I discovered your blog. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I too love Christmas Spode! It's great to mix and match.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous tables. Each table is totally different. Love your creative work. I am happily your newest follower. merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh so many things I love! The charger, the flatware, I would love to have that! The dishes are so classic!
    Did you see the table I did recently with the VB Toys Fantasy? I miss those outlets too!
    Thanks for linking to Let's Dish, and have a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have been collecting Spode Christmas Tree since 1970 when I visited England as a graduate student. One of my sisters was born on Christmas Day and she also collects Christmas Tree. Another sister and I collect Lenox Holiday china and linen, which I use to set the dining room table for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just popped in to tell you that I have four of those dinner plates. I bought them years ago in TKMaxx UK for the children to have their christmas dinners on because I didn't have enough of our wedding china that the adults were using. They're still going strong.
    Love the flatware.
    Have a great 2013! xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Here I am, 5 years later and I STILL can't find a set of Holly Jolly flatware. I Need help!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Avis, I feel your pain! I am kicking myself, still, because I had two opportunities to buy 4 additional place settings and did not. When I purchased the set, the store had an additional set of four place settings and, once, eBay had a set for sell. What was I thinking in not getting all of them? I hope that you find yours some day. I have given up!

    ReplyDelete
  23. My proof reading on the last comment was terrible. I meant to write that the eBay had a set for sale! Lol!

    ReplyDelete