Monday, January 28, 2013

Fat Tuesday!



Did you ever have so much trouble setting a table that it almost did not make it into your blog?  That is what happened to me with this Mardi Gras one.  Originally, I had not planned to do a Mardi Gras tablescape this year, since Mardi Gras falls so close to Valentine's Day.  However, I do love New Orleans and the festive look of the Mardi Gras colors, so I gave in and started to think about what I already had to use.  I did not want to buy new things this year.

I started with the same place mats and napkins that I used last year. I added a Royal Doulton "Richelieu" white and gold plate and placed a purple Pyrex "Festiva" luncheon plate on top.  Even though I had recently used my Reed and Barton "French Renaissance" sterling flatware in a Christmas post, I decided that I would use it, again.  The "Richelieu" and the "French Renaissance" sounded perfect to use in a blog honoring Mardi Gras in New Orleans.


I had a terrible time deciding how to display the masks and choosing a centerpiece.  Nothing look quite good enough.  I finally decided how I would completely set the table and began taking the photographs. Wow, that is when the magic happened!!! 


I opened one of my shutters and this is what I saw.  Oh, the sunlight steaming into the room made the table look mysterious and so pretty.  The Mardi Gras beads that I used as napkin rings (I thought the guests could just remove them from the napkins and wear them the rest of the meal!) and the gold organza napkins sparkled in the light.


The Fostoria "Andover " water goblets with the gold encrusted rims and the green balloon goblets (I do not know the maker), also, sparkled. 



I decided to add some curly ribbon streamers to my chandelier.  This was so easy!  I already had shiny ribbon in all three Mardi Gras colors. I cut long pieces and curled them with scissors.  Then, I hung them to the chandelier by wrapping the first and second "curl" of the ribbon around the arms of the chandelier. Simple, but it did add another festive touch.

All I need to do now is buy a King Cake and enjoy the meaning of "Fat" Tuesday - lol!!! Hope you have a fun celebration!

Diane





Sharing at:

A Stroll Thru Life for Tabletop Tuesday

Cuisine Kathleen for Let's Dish

Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Thursday

The Tablescaper for Seasonal Sundays








31 comments:

  1. We were on the same wavelength this week, weren't we? Love your Mardi Gras table -- very elegant but also fun and festive! My mom's silver is French Renaissance, so it was fun to see it on your table. I really love your purple plates! I think I "need" some. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful & festive tablescape! Very clever to use the beads as napkin rings! I love how you incorporate your chandelier into the tablescape. So much fun! Love the masks too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful table Diane...and I love the way the light makes it come to life like that...great post..
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your table is so fun and colorful Diane. The colors look amazing together.

    Jocelyn @
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty! I love it. I even thought I first saw your gold napkin folded in a fleur de lis. That's how wonderful your setting is! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diane, your table is elegant and festive. Love the colors of Mardi Gras! Beautiful images too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh fun, another pretty Mardi Gras table to visit! What a great job you did.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The streamers from the chandelier make your table so festive. Love the masks. Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun table...I have never done a Mardi Gras table, maybe next year. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Mardi Gras! Your table looks fabulous! Such a fun holiday to decorate for!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's just not fair is it? Ash Wednesday falls before Valentine's Day which falls the day before my birthday! Too many tables to consider lol! Your table is just magical. I love the stems you chose too! And the silver is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  12. EVERY day is Fat Tuesday around here!!! :-) I love to eat, and stuff like jambalaya is high on my list! You did a great job, and the decision to extend that curling ribbon from the overhead light was a really great idea!!! VERY festive! I love your reasoning for the dishes and flatware you chose, too. Makes perfect sense to me! Have a great Super Bowl weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Diane, I love your pretty table. The flatware is perfect and so are the gorgeous napkins and masks! The curled ribbon is the perfect finishing touch! Happy Mardi Gras. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Diane, love this table.. the placemats come together so perfectly and form a great square for the center. Perfect flatware choice.. It's just wonderful. xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  15. In checking, I see that the comment I left from my iPad didn't show up, so I guess I still haven't got that one figured out! At any rate, I love your table -- this looks like a fun table to party. The ribbons from the chandelier and the beads around the candle are such good ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great table for Fat Tuesday, love the masks and especially on the chandelier. I love New Orleans but have never been during Mardi Gras only other times of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I sure like the way you used beads as napkin rings! Sorry, but I may have to copy that idea for next week's tablescape. :)) Do you live in Louisiana?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous Mardi Gras tablescape, my friend, you did an amazing job!! I love all the detail, like the beads and napkin rings. Lovely flatware and glasses too. Thanks for your sweet visit. Big hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  19. You did a great job with your table, very festive. And I know what you mean about not wanting to buy anything new!!! Have a nice weekend, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful table, Diane, I love the ribbon tied to the chandy, great idea. May have to borrow that idea one time. xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Diane,
    Thanks so much fro your visit and sweet words!
    What a lovely tablescape celebrating mardi gras!! Some do tablescapes, I do Trees!!
    LOL!!

    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow I am so glad you decided to share this table! Gorgeous tablescape and I love the masks. One of the prettiest Mardi Gras tables I've seen!
    Miss Bloomers

    ReplyDelete
  23. I do love the colors of Mardi Gras! Your table looks great! Very festive! I like the beads around the pillar candle - I will have to remember that trick!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a pretty Mardi Gras table! Every year I say I will do one. Love the colors of Mardi Gras!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Diane - this is one gorgeous table! The colors are perfect, but your sterling and china (and yes, the names are perfect too), were perfect for a rich table. I'm usually not much into Mardi Gras, but this one--oh, and yes, the napkin and the beads and the light--is simply beautiful! So enjoy your "fat" meal! Bon appetit!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gorgeous! I'm wondering why you had any worries at all. I love it when the natural light comes in like that, it really enhances the table. Oh those green goblets, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very festive!
    Thanks so much for linking to Let's Dish

    ReplyDelete