Sunday, January 27, 2013

What I Have been Doing!


I have been promising to write about why I stopped blogging last year. I finally have time to revisit my insane year and explain why I have not posted a blog recently.

Last year proved to be quite a stressful year, but I managed to blog, until July.  After that, I could not find the time.  The following are just a few of the events that took over my life.

Early last year, we had a divorce in our family.  It involved children, which is always stressful.  However, this one has a happy ending with a new wedding in December.  Here are the happy bride and groom:



Early in the year, I was also still working on the Florida condo project.  Here are a couple of photos of the main room.  Almost everything is finished, except for the master bedroom.  It is still a work-in-progress, after more than a year!



 

Both children moved to other towns.  They both purchased homes - one needed some work and the other one needed building.  Our single son bought a house that looked like this:


He did not want to pick out anything, so he asked me to do it.  I have always enjoyed the building process, but since the house had already been started, the builder wanted everything chosen "yesterday".  Since I had to travel around 45 minutes each way to handle each little decision, I was on the road a great deal.  This, too, has a happy ending.  The house now looks like this"



My husband and I both made many trips picking out furniture for both houses, but it was well worth the effort.  My daughter's house looked like this, when it was purchased and still looks like this on the outside:


However, the inside is quite different.  The first thing that we did was to replace the carpet in the master bathroom with tile.  Since her marriage, our daughter and our new brilliant son-in-law have made many changes to the inside.  It is amazing how much they have done in such a short time!

Our oldest granddaughter was accepted to the same boarding school from which her mother graduated and it was partly my job to get her ready to go in August.  We shopped, until we dropped (literally!).  Here is a photo of her in her uniform that she sent me from school:



Having the other two grandchildren an hour away has kept me busy with babysitting and trying to be there for their performances and sports activities.  Here are some of those:


I, also kept them at my house, too.  We did some fun things together, during the summer, but here is my favorite photo of them taken, while they were staying with us.  They were "helping" rake the yard!



Thanksgiving was particularly busy last year.  My boarding school granddaughter and her friend from  Cologne, Germany spent quite a bit a time with us.  We shopped a bit then, too.  Here is a photo of them in front of the huge Christmas tree at our wonderful shopping center:



The week-end after Thanksgiving was crazy!  My daughter drove the girls back to school in Maryland and I went along for the ride.  We left on a Saturday and had them back at school Sunday morning:




That part of the trip went well, but trying to get home on Sunday was a nightmare.  We could not get out of Virginia!  Here is all we saw:



We finally made it home Monday afternoon, thank heavens.  Of course being so busy, during Thanksgiving made it very difficult for me to get ready for Christmas - oh, that and my husband had surgery on his knee the next week!  We went to Florida for his recuperation, since there are no stairs there. I did about half of what I usually do for the big holiday, but we survived.

Well, that covers most of 2012, before I returned to blogging. What I have been doing recently was fulfilling a New Year's resolution. I have had most of my tablescaping items in a Word file for a couple of years. Last year, I accidentally deleted Word from my computer (ALAS!).  The computer genius at my husband's company managed to retrieve the data for me and installed a more recent Word software program.  Since, I had realized that my old file was not organized the way that would be more useful, I began the arduous task of copying and reorganizing my file into the new format.  I worked on it a little at a time, but at that rate, I would never have finished. After New Year's, I began an all-out assault on the project and yesterday, I finished!!! Hopefully, I am now back in the tablescaping business and will be much more efficient. My smart daughter taught me how to make one of these files and she posted the method on Tablescape Times Three, when we were blogging together.  I am going to give you the link, in case you would like to make one.  It is a little difficult at first, but it is soooo (!) worth it in the end.  You can see her her post Here

Thanks for your patience in reading this very long blog! I hope that we all can have a peaceful and fun year in 2013 - I am certainly glad that 2012 is gone!!

Diane


P. S.  This is where I plan to spend most of 2013!!




                                                                              



















10 comments:

  1. Wow, I'd say you packed a year and a half, if not TWO years, into 2012! We will have to start referring to you as SuperDiane! Glad you are back blogging. I'll look forward to your tablescapes and now I'm off to check out the post you recommended. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good grief, that really was quite a year. Sounds like you handled it all very well. Can't wait to see more of your tablescapes. Welcome back. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness sweet lady..WHAT A YEAR you had!! Welcome back and I love seen your children's great houses, specially your son's transformation into such great looking house! I'm glad you're back, can't wait to see what you come up with this year, while you enjoy your view!! Thanks for your lovely and kind visit. Happy Sunday.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew a little of what has been going on, but wow, it has been quite the ride for you. Glad your kids are settling in their new homes and the grandkids are doing great. Nice to have you back with us. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I get it....you had a "normal year". :-Q. I'm going to check out the inventory post. Thanks. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You have been busy!! Thanks so much for stopping by!!

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I certainly do approve of your "2013 site!" Thanks for visiting me this week!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. WHEW!!! it's a good thing I am on my way to bed or I would have to take a nap..LOL
    I am glad you had such a good ending to a full year...also glad you are back blogging..
    that chair looks like a good place to blog from..looking out over the ocean...

    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what a year! You summed it up pretty good. Glad you are back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tablescape Times Three is finally back! Love you, Mom!
    http://tablescapex3.blogspot.com/2013/07/where-tablescape-times-three-has-been.html

    ReplyDelete