Saturday, February 9, 2013

Valentine's Birthday


Love is like a Cabbage

My love is like a cabbage
Divided into two
The leaves I give to others
The heart I give to you

Author Unknown


February is a big month for our family.  We have the opportunity to celebrate many birthdays.  My sister-in-law, my mother-in-law and my youngest granddaughter all have birthdays in February.  However, the most important is my husband's birthday, which falls on Valentine's Day.


I usually set a table for eight, so that our immediate family can help my husband celebrate.  Red is the color for the day - pink, except for a tiny bit in the flower arrangement, is not allowed!


This year, I began with my old favorite Ralph Lauren "Peyton" tablecloth. Then, I added a red beaded charger from the Dollar Store.


Next comes a Lenox "Opal Innocence Carved" dinner plate. I find that I want to use these plates every year for Valentine's Day.  I love those romantic swirls on the edges! On top of the Lenox plate is actually a peppermint pattern salad plate from Bon-Ton, which is really supposed to be used at Christmas.  However, I just could not resist the red and white colors!


The last little plate on top was a Cracker Barrel find a couple of years ago. The little dots are so sweet and I guess we see a little more pink - hard to avoid, I guess.  Maybe, my husband will not notice - lol!!


For the glasses, I used an Artland "Iris" iced tea beverage and a "Red Swirl" goblet from Pier I.


The red napkins are ones that I have owned for many years, but I added a white doily and a tiny red ribbon to continue the red and white theme.  The pretty flatware is an old silverplate pattern, "Jasmine", which belonged to my grandmother.


For the centerpiece, I grouped a tall red vase full of mixed flowers, a red glass compote with yummy Dove chocolates inside and an adorable cherub, which holds a tea light in the evenings.  There is a really funny story that goes along with this cherub.  When my oldest granddaughter did her Valentine tablescape for  Tablescape Times Three, she used this cherub with a red votive candle inside.  By the time she had finished photographing the blog, the candle had started to drip and red candle wax was "bleeding" through the holds of the basket the cherub holds.  You can see that blog Here.


I cannot decided, if I want to serve the meal during the day, when the sunlight shines on all of the glass or...


in the evening, when the candles cast a glow on the table. It certainly looks more romantic this way and isn't that what Valentine's Day is all about?

I am a pretty sentimental girl and this is certainly a day to get sentimental.  I have a husband who deserves to be treated like royalty twice as much on this special day. I always want him to know how much I love and appreciate him, so I hope that he likes the table setting, despite the little touches of pink.  No cabbage leaves for him - only the heart!!

Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!!



Diane





Sharing at:





























 
                                                                                    

38 comments:

  1. now this is one gorgeous table ....I love your flowers and that red swirl plate is great ...the whole table. ......I am sure Leon will be honored and feel the love .....
    Love,
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  2. now this is one gorgeous table ....I love your flowers and that red swirl plate is great ...the whole table. ......I am sure Leon will be honored and feel the love .....
    Love,
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your lovely table. And a very happy birthday to Leon! Have a wonderful dinner surrounded by those special people. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday to Leon, and many blessings! We have my sis and bro in laws, my nephew and finally one good friend on Feb. 14th! Lots of celebrating going on! Your table is gorgeous, I'm sure your hubs loves it and all you special guests. I love the flatware! Enjoy the weekend.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, about the time of day..I prefer the evening cause it's more romantic, with candle lights and all! All your dishes are adorable and sweet, just the perfect Valentine's setting!
    Fabby

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your table setting is beyond wonderful. I love each of the plates. I am going to copy your idea of the doily and ribbon.

    I can't get away with anything like your setting because my husband is the cook and he likes it simple. But, he does expect the table setting to be worthy of his gourmet meals. The other night our son was over and asked if we really needed candles at dinner. My husband was adamant that the setting be perfect.

    Have a lovely Valentines Day

    ReplyDelete
  7. Diane, this is beautiful! Wow that is a lot of birthday celebration for a short month! Today would have been my mom's 90th! And you were not the only one who did not see yesterday's post. I did one today and it seems to be better, I think. I hate Blogger. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. The swirl plates along with the glasses are perfect! Beautiful table!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read a comment you wrote on another blog that you loved dishes and tablescapes sooo much and it was hard to find someone like you who could appreciate all the creativity in that...well I always feel that same way, so happy I have found you, I think I have commented on your blog before but I thought I was a follower, I am now a follower...sorry it took me a while to find you...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now I am looking at your followers and maybe I am already a follower...lololol oh well

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a beautiful table! I love those heart dishes...so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your table is so lovely and perfect for the family valentine birthday gathering. I love the red and white swirl plates and the red goblets. Your guests are very lucky. Happy Birthday to all.

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a gorgeous table and I am sure your hubby will love it! What's on the menu!!??? I am having some friends here for lunch on Thurs. (one of whom is Yvonne from Stone gable) and I am of course going to do a Valentine's table for them. You have given me lots of inspiration!! The centerpiece looks beautiful and I love the little heart plates. I have the same candy swirlplates:):) xO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely table setting. I am sure your hubby will have an extra special day due to all the extra attention you have made to make such a special environment.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful table for Valentine's Day, it looks so fresh and yet so romantic. Love every element and especially the cloth and the white dishes with the swirled edge, The two decorative plates are perfect for Valentine's Day and the glasses are beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday to your hubby! We have our anniversary on the 14th, and our sons' girlfriends birthdays later in the month. Your table is gorgeous, and your husband will surely be impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Diane, this table is beautiful. So clever of you to use those Christmas plates. They are perfect with your Valentine setting. Love that little cherub candle holder, and I'm laughing about the candle "bleeding" through. Talk about a bleeding heart tablescape! I'm so glad you're linking this to my Valentine party. It's perfect! Happy Birthday to your Valentine. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just lovely.

    Wonderful to have you at Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Diane, what a heart-felt table for a special guy! I love the layers of dishes and that you used the peppermint swirl with the mini hearts on top. The napkins are so sweet and I love your grandmothers flatware. Happy ❤'s Day and Happy Birthday to your sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Birthday to you hubby and all of the special people in your life with Feb birthdays! Everything is just beautiful...the flowers are gorgeous! Sweet hugs from another 'Diane'!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What an adorable Valentine's table, Diane! I love the little heart plates, so cute, but everything else is so pretty too!...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow- am I impressed with this gorgeous red table, Diane! You must fix a feast for your husband's birthday to go along with this lovely table setting. The swirly white plates are so pretty with those beaded chargers. It's nice that you have your grandmother's silver, too. Thanks for stopping by for a visit today. :-) Sue

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, what a beautiful table...love the peppermint swirl with the little heart plate sitting in the middle and the swirl wine stem is perfect with them.
    Hope your hubby gets spoiled on his special day!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very pretty with all the red on the crisp white. Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is all really beautiful! I enjoyed it all! How nice to make a special day two-fold: Birthday and Valentine's! Have a great time!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  26. He's a lucky guy to have you care so much.....that table is FABULOUS!!!!!! I wish him a happy happy Birthday and a sweet Valentine's day to you both. xo

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your table is beautiful! I love the combination of plates.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Absolutely love it.
    Happy birthday and Happy Valentine's.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Loe this table! I think the swirl dishes are perfect and I love the wonky heart plates too. The napkins are a stroke of genius. Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  30. Happy birthday to all your family members! What a great month for you. I love those swirl glasses. I have the tumblers and I just use them all the time! I think using the peppermint plates is a good idea--after all we all love candy for Valentine's Day! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  31. Diane, this is truly a wonderful table. The tablecloth, the china, the peppermint plates and the little hearts.. so wonderful. February is a great month for celebration at your home!! How much fun it must be. Happy Valentine's! xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  32. I have to believe that a man born on Valentine's Day must be a very special man! Sounds like he is! Gorgeous table! The chargers and plates you put together are perfect. Let your husband know that pink is just red and white together!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is a fantastic table. Those plates are just wonderful I love that Bon Ton plate and the cracker Barrel plate! It all ties together perfectly! Hope you enjoy this special day with your hubby and those you love!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love all the red and white, so pretty with the candy cane and heart such a wonderful combination....thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful table! I have those red swirl dishes but never thought to use them after Christmas. Great idea- and the PB heart plates are the cutest. Your flowers look so pretty in that beautiful ruby vase! Happy Valentine's Day

    ReplyDelete
  36. What an absolutely wonderful table! I adore how you tied the napkins!

    ReplyDelete
  37. HI DIANE
    THANKS FOR THE VISIT AND YOUR NICE COMPLIMENT.
    NICE TO MEET YOU!
    YOU DID A GREAT JOB!! JUST LOVELY YOUR TABLE!!
    I HOPE YOU HAD A WONDERFUL VALENTINE`S DAY
    HAVE NICE DAY
    HUGS
    MIVA

    ReplyDelete
  38. What a beautiful Valentine's table you've set. I just love the doily napkin rings. Thank you for your sweet visit to my Valentine's tea.

    ReplyDelete