Saturday, February 23, 2013

What Was I Thinking??


Oh, the things we do as tablescapers, when we are on a short timeline! Recently, I purchased some new chocolate Fiesta luncheon plates for our Florida place at a great price at Dillard's. I have never owned any Fiesta, before we furnished the condo, and had no idea how small the salad plates were. We like to eat breakfast and sometimes lunch on salad plates and the ones that came with the place settings were way too small!

Anyway, we were headed to Florida in a few days, so I decided to shoot a post using the luncheon plates, before they moved to their new home. I had already done a brown and blue blog, so I started to look around for other ideas.



I spied my Royal Doulton "Samarra" plates and realized that they had enough brown in them to work.  Whoohoo! I would do a green and brown tablescape. This is where being in a hurry usually clouds the brain and it certainly did mine on that day!

Green and brown - why didn't my brain scream out warning signals?? What was I thinking??? To help you  understand this situation, I must leave tablescaping for a moment and write about travels.



In 2007, my husband and I made a trip to California.  We had been there on other occasions, but we had never traveled to the wine country nor Yosemite National Park. We had a wonderful time, but I remember complaining the whole time that we were in Yosemite that everything looked just "brown and green".  Actually, there was gray, too, but all I saw was "brown and green". Maybe, the park is prettier at other times (we were there in early June), but I was used to parks like Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons, where the variety of colors is much greater!



The very next year, we took a trip to France and spent most of our time in Provence.  We went in the fall and guess what?  Everything in the countryside was brown and green!  I remember commenting that this landscape reminded me of Yosemite, because of the colors.  Now, I loved the cities in Provence and I understand that the countryside is not to be believed, when the sunflowers are blooming. However, I was not impressed with the landscape in the fall. Normally, I am not a complainer, when I travel - I love to travel and usually only see the good in the places, where I land. There was just something I did not like about all of this brown and green, which brings us back to, "What Was I Thinking"?



Well, I was thinking that I wanted to get this post done quickly, due to the time constraint. I hurriedly pulled out new placemats from Dillard's (also, on sale), bamboo flatware from Steinmart, Raymond Waits napkins, wooden beaded napkin rings from Kohl's and Fostoria "Mesa" glassware. 



The green tablecloth is Ralph Lauren "Waitsfield" and the centerpiece is a peace lily that usually resides in my family room.



I have had these brown candlesticks so long that I have no idea where I bought them.  I do love all of the different textures on them.



I finished the table, shot the photos and immediately repacked the luncheon plates in bubble wrap for their trip to Florida.

After we returned from the trip, I started really looking at the table and suddenly realized the error of my ways. Brown and green - oh, no!  The table looked so boring and there was nothing to be done!  The Fiesta plates were five hours away (did I mention the chocolate color has been discontinued??). I could not re-shoot the table (sigh). What to do?  I finally decided that I would not post this week and start over next week. After mulling over that solution, I thought my mistake might be fun for you other bloggers to enjoy!  I guess most of us are guilty of doing things quickly and not really planning well enough.  The place settings on my table are O.K, but the overall table is blah, blah!! I could not add anything, since I had no plates, so I am trying to tell a cautionary tale for the rest of you - lol!!

I certainly hope your tables are more interesting than mine this week.  I am looking forward to seeing your pretty ones!

Diane





Sharing at:









37 comments:

  1. I love your table. I don't think it is boring. I am glad you got some Fiesta. Yes, Chocolate is retired now. I love the way you combined it with your dinner plates. One of the great things about Fiesta is that you can mix it with patterned dishes. I love your glasses also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your table isn't boring. It looks beautiful, not overdone. Perfect table for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your table looks lovely. Sometimes a more serene table is in order, but I do love your travel tales. And I can so relate to doing a table in a rush!

    Great to have you be a part of Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to reread your thoughts because I couldn't see a mistake at all. Nature's colors are perfect. I love your thoughts on your trips and relating those to your table plans. The textures are great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have sooo "been there". Why does a tablescape seem to need more stuff when it's photographed than in real life. Your table is really pretty and I like brown and green and no, it isn't boring. Visiting from Seasonal Sundays

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I think your brown and green tablescape looks lovely! A great a color combination, the brown really pops on the Samarra.
    Enjoy your evening.

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had this problem with my Valentines Table - I didn't like it because it wasn't what I imagined in my head. But that doesn't always mean we won't enjoy it!! I like you brown and green table!! I really like your bamboo flatware! Kind of crushing on that!! Thanks for posting it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this table is wonderful because it IS green and brown! I love that color combo because it reminds me of all the wonderful landscapes I have seen. Your table is sophisticated and serene. Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  9. I to love the table :-) I would recreate your table if I had the colors... Very sophisticated....Would make a wonderful Thanksgiving table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee Anne - I tried to leave a comment on your blog, but I could not tell whether or not it posted. I was amazed at how near we live to each other. Love your town!

      Delete
  10. I like the brown and green table. It reminds me of my garden at the moment. '-) Guess we are all waiting for a bit more color in our lives. Thanks for sharing your table. I think the brown Fiesta plates are going to be fun to have.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello! I recently just started a youtube Korean food channel, EasyKoreanFood, where you can learn how to make fast & easy Korean food! It would mean the world to me if you could check it out because I'm just starting out! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sometimes things just don't go as planned, but I like your tablescape. The brown and green and very earthy, and give a formal setting a slightly rustic feel. Hope you can stop by the enchanted oven to say hi.
    xo,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your table is lovely and the dishes are so pretty too! Thank you so much for popping in to see me.
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful shots! I love your table with the beautiful china. Your dining set is lovely too. Thank you for your sweet and kind visit..I'm so grateful and that you liked my "real animal" chair, lol.. Hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's very elegant. You needn't apologize fot the tablescape.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It doesn't look like it was put together quickly. The colors are so pretty together, and how wonderful that you have a peace lilly blooming. It makes such a pretty centerpiece. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is beautiful Diane. these are some of my favorite colors...brown and green..
    Mona

    ReplyDelete


  18. Elegant and beautiful.Very inspiring...:):)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I understand brown and green do not bring back happy memory to you. But it's a perfect tablescape for winter or fall.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your tablescape is actually very pretty, Diane. It looks somewhat rustic and it will be perfect for fall...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the colors, lovely tablescape. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi lovely lady.
    You did a Beautiful brown and green tablescape looks perfect. Thanks so much for your sweet comments on my Patrick's Day table, hope you have a wonderful week with your family.
    XXOO Diane

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well Diane, I think you and I must be kindred spirits. When I went to have a look at your post I couldn't believe the Royal Doulton china. I grow up with that china and have been for several years trying to buy my own collection. I thought I was the only person on earth who owned that china, besides my Mom of course, and here you are a proud owner as well....plus we share the same name. We must be sisters!! ha Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  24. I guess we are, Diane! When I was married, that color green was so in style and I fell in love with the pattern. In those days, we went with our mothers to pick out our tableware, not our future husbands. I had dated my husband for four years and never realized that he did not like green - oops! I did pick out Lenox Solitaire, also, thank heavens. I still love the green ones, though!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I guess we are, Diane! When I was married, that color green was so in style and I fell in love with the pattern. In those days, we went with our mothers to pick out our tableware, not our future husbands. I had dated my husband for four years and never realized that he did not like green - oops! I did pick out Lenox Solitaire, also, thank heavens. I still love the green ones, though!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, don't be so hard on yourself. I really don't mind brown and green. I love to travel and have been to Yellowstone many times and have visited the Tetons, Glacier and Yosemite. There is a huge difference between Yosemite and Yellowstone. I visited Yosemite in the winter and there was a foot of snow on the ground and 45 inches up in the pass but I still enjoyed seeing the falls. I love an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, I was so excited to see your Samarra dishes because the pattern is so close to my Royal Doulton Fireglow! The shape of all the pieces is identical, too. I love the shape of the teacup -- that's what I fell in love with when registering as a bride. Your pattern works beautifully with your green and brown color scheme!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love your table.. I am a big fan of green and brown. The china used with the Fiestaware is wonderful. Pretty candlesticks and a beautiful plant.. It really did turn out quite nice.. xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  29. I like your brown and green. You're being too hard on yourself!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. The brown Fiestaware played quite well with your lovely wedding china, and I really like the tone of green in your tablecloth. I think your table lis great, but I've been there, too! Sometimes that jest don't look like we thought they would look. Thanks for the dose of encouragement and for inviting us for a peak. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love the green and brown together - and your flatware, just love the handles!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your table looks lovely...you probably thought it was dull after thinking Florida and seeing signs of spring, but the browns and greens feel woodsy to me, serene. We've all done posts that we would like to rethink, so just forget it! It seems like everyone loves it!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  33. This just goes to show you that "It's not nice to fool with Mother Nature!". :-) That old margarine ad just popped into my head! Mother Nature has provided a LOT of green & brown, and try as you may, you can't avoid it! These are the colors of the earth and trees, and those colors are just stuck in our heads! It just came right out in your creating!!! Don't think for a moment that this table is "just brown and green" and therefore uneventful!!! As for the Fiesta salad plates, thanks for the heads up on the size differential. The napkins are gorgeous, too!

    ReplyDelete
  34. It's funny how things turn out isn't it? Your table is quite festive, thanks for the heads up about the different sizes. hugs ~lynne ~

    ReplyDelete
  35. Personally I really like greens/browns...so much of nature has these colors...and I love your table!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I like the colors, very earthy and calming!
    Thanks for linking to Let's Dish!

    ReplyDelete