Friday, March 1, 2013

Cherry Blossom Time!


Welcome to the "Pinkest Party on Earth"! It is time for the annual Cherry Blossom Festival in my city.  You probably think that I live in Washington, D.C., but you are incorrect.  I live in a city that has more Yoshino cherry trees, than Washington, D.C.  You must travel much farther south to find this festival!


For almost two weeks every March, Macon turns pink!  Blooming cherry trees are everywhere and pink clothing the is attire of the city.  You will never see so many men in pink jackets, ties or shirts.  Real men do wear pink - at least here, during the duration of the festival.  There are too many events for me to describe, so I suggest that you read about them HERE.

Every year during the festival, I try to set at least one pink table and this year, I decided to change things a little.  Instead of doing an all pink table, I chose to set a pink and black one.


The starting point this year was the addition of some new Cherry Blossom salad plates.  The last two years, I have used Narumi "Mountain Cherry" plates.  You can see those tables HERE and HERE. This year, I spotted a Diamond China "Cherry Blossom" plate on eBay.  I fell in love with it, but the seller did not have enough for me and neither did Replacements.  I finally found six on the Vintage by Paul website.



The blossoms on these salad plates were painted with black stems.  Aha, I thought - a chance to mix things up a bit.  I added a larger pink salad plate and a black square dinner plate from Old Time Pottery.


Black napkins with fuchsia napkin tassels were added, as was Gorham "Strasbourg" silver flatware.


All of the sterling serving pieces, though, are "Cherry Blossom" by Blackinton. The only eating utensils that I own in that pattern are four pastry forks and four teaspoons.  I have bought many serving pieces, but I have yet to find any real forks or knives.  I guess they have been melted through out the years, which breaks my heart.  When I think of all of the beautiful sterling silver pieces that have met this fate, I truly want to sit down and cry. To me, it is like losing a Picasso or Monet painting forever.  These older pieces of silver truly are works of art.  "Cherry Blossom" was made in 1903 and designed by Sidney A. Keller.





Even with the black added to the setting, there is plenty of pink on the table - a pink tablecloth under a Fostoria "Fairfax" mayonnaise bowl and  bonbon basket, along with Anchor-Hocking "Block Optic" depression glass salt and pepper shakers.



 I mixed pink and black glassware together.  The pink goblets are considered "Unknown" on Replacements, but every Carlo Moretti glass this size looks exactly like this one.  It is white inside the bowl, just like the Moretti ones. The black water glass is "Ebony" from Celebrity Crystal.  I found these six at Smith's Antiques in Destin, Florida for a very good price.


Another great antique store find were the two L. E. Smith (Smith Glass Company) "Mount Pleasant" black glass double light candle holders. I found these at the Emporium antique store in Pine Mountain, Georgia.  These were made from 1925-34.  They are in perfect condition and look so contemporary. I used pink candles in them to continue my color scheme.



Since it is very difficult to get real cherry blossoms at just the right time to use in a blog, I usually use a variety of pink flowers. This year, I started off with a black two-tiered wire server and flowers from our local supermarket.  After Christmas, I was browsing around in Dillard's at their after Christmas sale and spotted these crazy fuchsia sprays.  I remembered that I had fuchsia napkin rings and the tassels that I used in this blog.  I thought that I might be able to put them together at some point and bought the sprays for half price. I tried them in this centerpiece and I think they worked pretty well with all of the pink flowers. As many of you know, I usually struggle with centerpieces and napkins - I just never seem to have the right ones!!

I really wish that you all could come and visit with us, during the festival.  The 300,000 (yep, 300,000!) cherry trees in full bloom are something to behold and the events are fun and family friendly. The welcome mat is out - y'all come!!

Diane



Sharing at:

How Sweet the Sound for Pink Saturday

The Tablescaper for Seasonal Sundays

A Stroll Thru Life for Table Top Tuesday


Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Thursday













46 comments:

  1. Diane..this might be my favorite table of yours so far....there is so much pink in my Grandmother's things.she even had a pink kitchen..it has always been one of my favorite colors and reminds me of her...this table is beautiful and you did a great job with this centerpiece....good job...
    Love,
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving this beautiful pink with black table. The china is beautiful, the pink goblets, the centerpiece, along with the serving pieces. Lovely. I also adore pink and I have lots of too. Have a great weekend.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are two of my favorite colors, pink and black!! Love this table and I didn't know that Macon had a Cherry Blossom festival!
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, the Cherry Blossom Festival sounds amazing! Your table is a wonderful tribute to this special time. I really like the addition of black, which adds drama and keeps the sweetness of pink in check. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diane, this is a gorgeous table, those dishes are fantastic, love the tassels on the napkins. I am going to check out that website, too. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had no idea y'all had a cherry blossom festival! How wonderful for your city! I have been in Washington visiting David during their cherry blossom festival , and it is a sight to behold. I see now that I need to come visit Macon right away! Thanks for letting me know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful table setting. I love cherry blossoms. Oh, I can imagine how gorgeous your city becomes. And smell, that must just be heavenly. I love the black and pink combo and your vintage pieces are wonderful!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simply stunning tablescape! I guess Macon is the place to be right now, 300,000 trees - I can't even imagine how beautiful and breath-taking that would be. Love the Cherry Blossom plates, I have seen them here and there in my neck of the woods. If I ever see them again, I will give you the heads-up. Enjoy the next week pink weeks! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to know about those plates! Thanks, Diane.

      Delete
  9. What a wonderful tablescape! The black and pink together make it magical. The cherry blossom plates are exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is gorgeous! You've used so many lovely elements to celebrate the Cherry Blossom Festival. Thanks for stopping by for a visit. The Wedgwood pattern that you liked is Albion. I found it all through eBay. Currently there are two dinner plates on eBay from Replacements. Happy hunting! Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your table is beautiful. I love all your pieces. The candlestick holders and the salt & peppers are my favorite. I may try this with Fiesta in either Rose or Flamingo with black. I hope you post some pictures when you visit the festival.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your plates, tassels, and depression glass are just beautiful! Gorgeous tablescape!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness, Diane! I live here in Macon Georgia also and cannot wait for the festival and the Spring!! How I wish it would get warmer!! Your pink tableware is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, Diane!

    ReplyDelete

  16. A beautiful table with all those beautiful things.Black and pink comb goes very well...thank you...:):)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful table. Love the pink goblets.

    Thanks for being a part of Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a gorgeous tablesetting, I love pink and black,so effective, all of it is so pretty. Wish we lived closer would love to see all the cherry blossoms. Thank you for visiting,come again. Going to be a follower...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love love love pink depression glass! It's like the exclamation mark on you beautifully set table! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stunning!! I LOVE pink and black...so much so that I have my Powder Room done in those colors!!

    Thanks so much for stopping by!!

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would love to attend the cherry festival. Thanks for letting us know about it. Your pink and black table is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Meant to say cherry BLOSSOM festival :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. What absolutely beautiful pinks!!! It's all so lovely, but I think my favorite are the pink salt and pepper shakers. What a lovely tradition your city has and hope you are enjoying all your pinkness as white fluffy flakes are still falling from the sky here.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi lovely lady.
    Your Cherry Blossom Tablescape is Beautiful! I love the colors pink and black mix together you did a wonderful job putting this all together. Thanks so much for your sweet comments on my new tablescape "La Chef" I hope you have a wonderful weekend with your family.
    XXOO Diane

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your Cherry blossom table is so pretty, and I'm drooling over your sterling serving pieces. I LOVE sterling! I even like to polish it. :)
    I know what you mean about silver being melted down. I feel the same way.
    The bonbon basket is also really pretty, too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I did not know about this event! It sounds spectacular. I'd love to see the Yoshino Cherries in bloom and all the community embracing the color pink! Your table is very pretty! I like the black because it show cases the pink nicely.
    Our area is known for growing cherries but they aren't showy trees like a Yoshino Cherry tree. They do bloom very nicely but not quite the same.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I would never have thought to use the black with the pink, but it looks great! Love your new cherry blossom plates, and yes, that silverware is gorgeous. I can only imagine how gorgeous all those blooming trees are. it must be breath taking. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  28. I can only imagine how gorgeous it must be to see all those blooms! Your table setting is gorgeous. Love your dishes, S&P...all so pretty!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love this soft color and your table setting is fabulous! Thanks for your lovely comment dear, hope you'll give it a try soon...

    ReplyDelete
  30. Diane, your table setting is so pretty and I can only imagine the sights around your town when the trees are in bloom. It must be spectacular..Happy Sunday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh so pretty! I love the combination of pink & black. Your new cherry blossom plates are lovely. I can't imagine seeing so many beautiful trees in bloom! It must be an amazing sight!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Where do I begin Diane. It is all stunning.. From the silver pieces, china, goblets. How lucky you are to enjoy such beauty. I get to visit the Philadelphia Flower Show this weekend. It is pretty spectacular. This year the theme is Britain.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh Diane, I wish I could come visit during the Cherry Blossom Festival, too! What a table you've set in its honor!! Those dishes are sooooo dainty and pretty. I love the combo of black and pink. Your Cherry Blossom serving pieces are just gorgeous and I'm so happy they've found a good home with you. You love and cherish them! Your floral centerpiece just ties everything together. xo

    ReplyDelete
  34. Gorgeous table in pink!I can imagine how pretty the cherry blossoms up during the festival. I have seen them in Washington DC and I was in awe! Love all the pinks here!...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love your beautiful cherry blossom dishes and your tablescape is fabulous. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Sweetie Diane,

    OMG! I am blown away with your treasures. OMG! I how I wish I am your neighbour and I grab some of your precious.

    I love the way how you mix the distress set to the black beauty. If you could see me now, "I AM DROOLING"! LoL*

    Thank you for following me and hope you're enjoying Stockholm.

    Happy Mid-week, Diane.

    Hugs from D´Box,
    /CC girl

    ReplyDelete
  37. It must be beautiful where you live with all those trees in bloom! I love your tablescape tribute to Cherry Blossom Festival. Love you pink cherry blossom china and accessories. Lovely post Diane.

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  38. Adorable tablescape! The china is gorgeous! Lovely pink and black combination!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Love your pinks! I have a dear friend who lives in Macon, and I keep thinking I should head south for a visit some year during the Cherry Blossom Festival. Maybe I'll put it on the calendar for next year. It sounds like a wonderful event!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Beautiful table, love all the pink, I have a few pieces of pink depression from my Aunt. Love the combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I had no idea Macon, GA out-cherry blossomed D.C.!!! I need to get my hips down there to Macon one year to see that! The whole 2-week festival sounds like something I would revel in!!! Wait a minute...come to think of it, it seems to me I saw reference to that festival in some movie. I need to think about that now that the seed has been planted in my brain! :-) I love this pink & black combo! It's so chic! Reminds me of Paris where one would also be inclined to find a whole lotta cherry blossoms! :-) The fact that so much sterling silver has been melted and that we have lost the circulation of so much beauty is a real heartbreaker. I feel ya there! Now tell me this, Miss Diane: What exactly do you mean that you struggle with centerpieces and napkins? You create what comes to mind. That's the whole deal, and it always looks great! As my son would say, "Quit trippin'! :-) Have a good weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. This is such a pretty table! I love the cherry blossom plates! That festival sounds like so much fun! I think cherry blossoms are some of the prettiest flowers! You did a fantastic job with this table!

    I hope you will come post this on my first ever Link Party, the "FESTIVE FRIDAY FIESTA"! It's open now through Sunday at noon ET.

    Here's the link if you'd like to post it! Sure would love to see you there!

    http://the-home-girl-blog.blogspot.com/2013/03/welcome-to-very-first-festive-friday.html

    ReplyDelete
  43. Diane, this is a beautiful tablescape with the black and pink playing off each other. How wonderful that you live in a town with such stunning beauty each March. I've never seen cherry trees in bloom, so I really wanted to get to the Cherry Blossom Festival in DC last spring to celebrate the 100 Anniversary of the gift of the trees. But alas I didn't get to make the trip, and I think the timing of the blooms was off for the festival. Still it would have been a fun experience. Now I know of another festival. Will add this to my list of things I want to see. Thanks for sharing........Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  44. I came across your blog via another, via another, etc.

    I scrolled back through all your wonderful table settings.

    I just have one question? Where do you keep all of your dishes? I know my house is tiny in comparison to most, but even in my old home that was twice the size, I would not have had the space for all those dishes.

    I'll be back for more inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  45. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete