Monday, April 22, 2013

Dreaming of Peaches


When I was looking through my china for something to use for my post this week, I came across some salad  plates that I had  never used previously.  I have only four of them - two with apples and two with peaches.  I purchased them at Tuesday Morning a number of years ago and truly forgot about them. When I saw the peaches on the plates, I started thinking about our state symbol - Georgia is, after all, the Peach State!

I remember going to pick peaches, when I was a child and there was nothing better than eating a fresh, ripe peach right from the orchard. My mother always made fresh peach ice cream in the summers with a hand-cranked ice cream churn.  The sad thing was that I would not eat it - I wanted plain vanilla! Now, I usually get my peach ice cream "fix" from a place called "Lane Southern Orchards", but more about that later.




I decided to use the plates to set a breakfast table for four.



The apple and the peach salad plates were set on dark yellow JC Penney dinner plates.  A Ralph Lauren "Paisley" tablecloth and placemats from Old Time Pottery are under the plates. Bamboo flatware from Steinmart was, also, used.  I chose brown napkins to repeat the brown from the flatware and the brown stems on the fruit plates.



Fostoria "Mesa" green footed goblets and Colony "Whitehall" amber juice glasses were added to each place setting.



Looking at the peaches on these plates made me start dreaming of how wonderful it will be, when the peach crop comes in this year.




A trip to Lane Southern Orchards is a must for anything to do with peaches!  Here posing is my youngest granddaughter on one of our trips last year.  Lane is located off I-75 near Fort Valley, Georgia.

Do not bother to stop by Lane, unless you really love peaches!  They do sell other products, but no peach product goes unsold there!



How would you like to try peach chutney?


Or peach cider - yummy!


Maybe, peach truffles - peaches and chocolate - whoohoo!!

Lane, also, sells the fabulous peach ice cream, peach bread, peach cobbler jam, peach muffin mix and the star of the show, fresh peaches. No Georgia girl would dare go through the summer without making, at least, one peach cobbler and the best ones are made with fresh peaches.

Many of you might drive south on I-75 on your way to Florida and I highly recommend a side trip to Lane's in the summer, when the peach crop arrives.  You can find out more information on Lane's website: www.lanesouthernorchards.com. 




I think for our breakfast, I will prepare French toast with peach sauce. Fortunately, I have peaches in my freezer and they will do just fine - wish you could join me!

Fresh Peach Sauce (From Southern Food Recipes)

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup water
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 3 cups fresh diced peaches, about 4 peaches
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, optional

Preparation:

Combine water, sugar, and cornstarch in a saucpan; bring to a boil over medium heat. Add the diced peaches and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract and cinnamon, if using. Use as a topping for waffles or pancakes, or spoon over biscuits or pound cake and top with whipped cream for a delicious shortcake. Makes about 3 cups.

Diane





Sharing at:

Cuisine Kathleen for Let's Dish

Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Thursday

The Tablescaper for Seasonal Sundays




21 comments:

  1. If you see a broom parked outside.. it's just me.. the wet spot is the drool over the anticipation of those yummy peaches in the peach sauce!!! I love these dishes. I know what you mean about putting stuff away into the "black hole"... I'm glad you found them and showed us this gorgeous table. Love love the flowers. It's all just wonderful! xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty table, Diane, with those gorgeous salad plates! I love your pretty glasses and the brown flatware that coordinates. Your granddaughter looks like a darling peach! I'll bet she loved that special field trip. Thanks for sharing the delicious recipe, too. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The peach sauce sounds wonderful. I love your salad plate. The table is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I would love to go to that store, Diane. I love peaches. I love your fruits plates. Aren't you glad you remembered you have them? They look so good on your pretty table...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful tablescape! Crisp, pristine...the colors are delightful. Oh my gosh! I'm going to the freezer to pull out some of my fresh/frozen peaches right now. We bought 3 bushels of Porter Peaches this summer and I peeled, sliced, ate, and froze them all! I just wish that I still had enough left to make it to July and the Porter Peach Festival. Thanks for the recipe and for inviting us for a peak. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man, you've got us all drooling. There is nothing like a fresh ripe peach. You've designed a beautiful table to go along with those amazing images.

    - Alma, The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  7. What time will you be serving breakfast...it would be a pleasure to sit at your lovely table, Diane. I love anything peach...those truffles sound delicious!
    Have a great week...

    ReplyDelete
  8. You were starting to sound like Bubba from "Forrest Gump" for a moment there, young lady! "Peach ice cream, peach bread, peach cobbler, peach jam..." :-) I loved peach ice cream as a little kid! My Mom would make it the same way your Mom did - with that hand-crank ice cream maker - and it was SO good! I loved the plain vanilla, strawberry (with fresh strawberries from my Dad's garden), coffee (yes...as a kid!), and my favorite of all...black walnut!!! The peach ice cream was always so perfect in summer, though. Loved it! I'm glad you're able to enjoy it now!!!

    This is a really pretty, soft table that would be such a welcome sight in the morning for breakfast! How on earth could you have possibly forgotten about those beautiful plates?!??!??! The two colors of drinking vessels look great alongside, and the placemat is the perfect backdrop!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful tribute to a fun day!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love when I find something like that. I found some Fiesta Christmas dishes in a box I thought was empty. I don't remember putting them or buying them.
    Your table is beautiful. The plates are very nice. Now I want some peaches.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a pretty table! The colors are just so warm. I love your peach dishes too. They look great against the dark yellow dinner plates.

    I am now following you. I thought I was already, but I guess not!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am enjoying this great table the the tribute to our Peach State! I do love fresh peaches! Pretty table.
    hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a beautiful table Diane. makes me want some peaches..
    Love, Mona

    ReplyDelete
  14. Diane, I was drooling over the plates and then you showed the peach cider (oh my!) and peach truffles (slay me!) and the drooling just increased. I can't even imagine what those two specialty items taste like. It is a perfect table and I am dreaming of fresh peaches too now! Way too far away but we did prune the peach tree last weekend. I had to move it last year because all though we had tons of peaches on it, they were tasteless and my neighbor said it probably wasn't getting enough sun, but it did survive the move!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, what pretty plates! We have a few months till peach season here, but it's one of my favorite things about summer. Love fresh peaches!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pretty table..Peach is my favorite fruit.The green and the brown goblets are very nice..:Happy week end):):)

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's wonderful to have you at Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh what a fun day to share with us. I would have loved going to the shop wit you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey Diane I'm new following,thanks for visiting LoblollyLane and your comment is so appreciated.
    Love this tablescape it is just peachy.
    Now my mouth is watering for fresh peaches,can't wait.
    Jo @ LoblollyLane

    ReplyDelete
  20. Peaches make me think of Summer holidays when I was a child. So your table setting brought back many memories. I've never had peach cider, though.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, those are great plates! What a nice find to have dug up. Your table turned out great but the pictures of all the peach goodies is making me hungry! That peach cider looks really good- I've never heard of peach cider before! Yummm, peach sauce with French Toast!

    ReplyDelete