Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The Birds and the Bees!


Kathleen of Cuisine Kathleen has asked us to use birds, bees, flowers and trees in our posts this week. I hope that I have risen to the challenge!




I began with my favorite bird china, "Songbird", by H&C Heinrich. I love this china, because there are so many colors in it.  This time, I chose to emphasize the blue. Under the "Songbird" dinner plate, I used a Victoria and Beale pattern, "Cambridge".  Beneath that dinner plate, I used a cobalt blue charger from Horchow.

I think that I have the "birds" part of the challenge covered with the "Songbird" plates -




The white birds from Michael's -




And the Hofbauer "Byrdes" crystal vase.





For the flower part of the challenge, I thought the beautiful flowers on the china would count, along with -



The colorful flowers in the "Byrdes" vase and



the pretty flowers on the "Jasmine" silverplate flatware.





The bees are buzzing around white Fino Lino napkins.  The bees even brought their honey combs along!




I wondered how to show a tree on this table, but I finally realized that Mr. Bird on the plate was clinging to the branch of a tree - dilemma solved!








The crystal glasses I chose were Galway "Longford" iced teas and cobalt "Williamsburg" Artland shrub (more about that later) glasses, which I will use for juices at this meal.

Now, back to the shrub glasses.  A shrub was a common drink in the colonial period, during the 18th century.  I have a recipe for shrubs, but I found a wonderful explanation of them and several methods that were used to make the drinks on a website, Culinate.  The fabulous article was written by Ellen Jackson who is a food writer and stylist.  Instead of trying to put the entire article in the post, I am giving you the link HERE.

I think Kathleen was dreaming about spring, when she gave us this challenge and it was a fun to think about all the different elements.  Thanks, Kathleen!!

Diane





Sharing at:

Cuisine Kathleen for Let's Dish

Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Thursday


A Stroll Thru Life for Inspire Me Tuesday



25 comments:

  1. Beautifully done! I like the combination you chose for the plates and your floral arrangement compliments it all perfectly! Love the cobalt blue color accents and your birds. Those napkin rings are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous, Diane! I love the napkin rings to carry out the "bees" part of the assignment! I am short on bees at my house, alas. I enjoyed seeing the H&C Heinrich china, as my grandmother's wedding china (now in my collection!) is by that maker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful tablescape Diane! I love your china the most. It's not always you see this type of blues with birds and the bees, usually blue goes nautical at times. Love how you meshed it all together well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful Diane.....I wrote about bees today but had no dishes in it. guess I should have planned a little better. LOL
    Love, Mona

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful table,Diane. I love your bird china! It has such great colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diane you met then challenge and them some! Lovely table and the details are all so perfect!
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! I LOVE those bee napkin rings! Life to the full! Melissa @ DaisyMaeBelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I like your napkin rings too!!! I love how you brought out the blue in the plates. You have met the challenge! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How beautiful, Diane! I am drooling over your napkin holders, so pretty! Where did you find them? I love your bird plates too. Your table is simple but very elegant!..Christine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just gorgeous! It's so neat how your flowers perfectly mirror the colors in your china rims. Where did you ever get those napkin rings??? They are magnificent!

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  11. What beautiful china, Diane! I have never seen that pattern, but oh my, is it ever gorgeous! Yes, you rose to the challenge very well. Your napkin rings are so pretty and I love the napkins, as well. Happy Spring!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Diane, your table setting is just beautiful! Everything set off to their best possible glory! And may I say... those napkin rings are to die for! I love the dimensional aspect of the bee gracing the honeycomb. You realize by now I think your pantry must rival Martha Stewarts!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. So elegant! I love the birds and the honeycomb napkin holders.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You certainly arose to the occasion of the Let's Dish theme! Your china is lovely with the sweet bird and the other complementary plates with a blue hue. Your white ceramic birds add to the theme. This is a beautiful tablescape especially with the addition of the cobalt glassware and the story about the shrubs. Enjoyed your post!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  15. Diane, Love your/our napkin rings!!! But more, love those dishes. They are really works of arts. The flowers just set them off beautifully. Your birds are darling, but still love the one on the plates. shrubs - who knew.. But I do now. Just love your sweet blog.. and this table is one of my favs.. xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  16. So, so pretty. And that VASE! THAT VASE!!! I love how it is sculptured so perfectly!!! Your napkin rings are really, really unique with that honeycomb band. I've never seen any like those, especially in a nice silverplate like that. I love the pattern on your dishes. The bird looks so forlorn, though. Why is he sad? He's on that beautiful plate with those beautiful flowers...maybe I'm mistaking sadness for contentment? I hope that's the case! :-) Very pretty, young Miss Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What beautiful china! Your napkin rings and napkins are so pretty. Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  18. An absolutely beautiful tablescape! I love your china! It is perfect for your theme.....everything is so elegant! I have never seen your napkin rings before. Very nice. I just love the whole table and would love to sit at it and enjoy your company.
    Blessings My Friend,

    ReplyDelete
  19. Diane, your tablescape is beautiful! The blue glassware really brings out the blue in the china. I ♥ the napkin rings.
    Have a great week...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm sorry I'm late visiting you, my grands are leaving today and I'm a little sad, lol.. Your table setting is gorgeous. I love the beautiful stack of dishes and with the blue glassware, that is perfection! I need to find blue glasses, I haven't any..can you believe this, heheheheee...Enjoy your weekend.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your china is stunning, such a beautiful and delicate pattern and I love the floral scene with the birds. Adding some accessories with Bees is genius. How fun is that. Thanks tons for joining Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  22. Soooo pretty. You certainly had the right china for the birds and bees challenge, not to mention the bee napkin rings (they're darling!). Love your table, Diane. ~Zuni

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful table! I very much love the bee napkin rings!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lady D...
    TY for dropping in Stockholm, §:-)

    SOrry for my laziness or--- I can say business. So much work during end of the month (I am an Account Mgr) in Sweden's largest bank, that's the reason of my on and off blogging.

    To tell you the truth? I love and drool your treasures. Oh! wow, the birdie plates really make my heart jump.

    What a great start of my day. May 1 is holiday here and probably there too. So, have a day strolling our blogielandia.

    Have a great day and GB to you and you family.

    BTW, in your question regarding to substitue the soy sauce? I do use Coconut Aminos. You can grab anywhere in the U.S.
    Hope you like it. Try Tarragon if you have.

    See you around.
    /CC girl

    ReplyDelete
  25. You nailed it, D! Stunning, and I just love those napkin rings!
    Thanks for linking to the challenge at Let's Dish!

    ReplyDelete