Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The Russians are Coming - And Staying!


This is not technically a tablescaping post, but it about our blogs. Am I the only blogger who has a huge  number of  hits from Russia without the hits showing up as page views?  It is all very strange to me!  I cannot figure out why they are here or what they are doing.  I change my password often and I have set up 2-step verification with Google. Do any of you have suggestions?



I know that tableware has been very important in the history of Russia.  The is a Potpourri Holder made by the Imperial Porcelain Factory in the late 18th century.  It is part of the porcelain collection at the Hermitage Museum in St. Petersburg.  Somehow, though, I do not believe that all of these Russians are interested in my tableware!!



Here is the teacup and saucer that I own that was made in the old USSR and given to me by a friend.  You probably remember this from my recent Blue and White blog that you can see HERE. Again, I do not believe that the Russians are here to drool over this pretty piece!

The Russians are not the only stealth viewers that I have had.  Hits from Belarus, a country with a high number of internet hackers, Ukraine, China, and various other eastern European countries visit me regularly.

I did a search on Google trying to discover what the Russians are doing in my blog and I found several different answers.  One surmised that they were surfing for e-mails to sell, but they could do that with one or two visits and I am swamped nightly with them!!  I am stumped! Please help, if you can, and tell me how to stop them. It does not matter, if I turn off my computer or not - they are inside the blog no matter what I do. I use Firefox and, also, have two different virus and malware detection software programs. They have found nothing inside the computer.  However, I was warned a couple of times that someone was trying to install a program that could read whatever I typed.  Both times this happened, I was trying to log into my blog. I think my software stopped these attempts, but I am nervous that something might get into my computer eventually, which could prove disastrous!  If I cannot not figure out how to stop them, I am considering shutting down my blog and I really do not want to do that.  I love blogging!

I am leaving you with one more piece of Russian porcelain.  It is a 9 1/2" plate made in the 1830's and was sold in 2007 at Sotheby's for $26,060! It is a Russian Imperial plate of the Order of St. Catherine made by the Popov Factory.  Isn't it magnificent???



Oh, why can't the Russians just keep producing these beautiful pieces of china and leave my blog alone????

Diane

Sharing at:










20 comments:

  1. Diane, for a while I was getting comments on my old blog posts regularly from suspicious countries..and I have regular hits from links that are not legit....but I don't think my blog is important enough for them to bother me. I hope you get this resolved because I love your posts....
    love, Mona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mona. I have never had a comment from any of these "visitors", which worries me, even more!

      Delete
  2. Sometimes there are weird things happening, like today my top "referring sites" are a site about films (from what I get of its name) and one about vampires (again from what I get of its name)?!?
    I don't know why people from this sites would be interested in mine. I don't get comments from them either... If you ever find the truth about those mystery visitors, tell me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do get visits from all over the world, including Russia but I really do not know how to stop them. I had serious problems with the anonymous comments. I had to block those since they were getting very offensive. I don't know what they do but if you get answers on this let me know.

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Diane, I wish I could help you, but I don't have an answer. I do get visits from around the world, but I haven't noticed any from Russia. I hope that you don't stop blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I don't know why you;re getting those hits from Russia! I occasionally get comments that are just a jumble of words that make no sense and I just delete them. Thanks for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I stopped by to thank you for visiting my blog, and read your post. I get odd hits from Russia and Latvia also. I try to change up my pass words too. I had to stop the anonymous comments too, they were a little off. Thank you for stopping by have a great day, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  7. I get quite a bit of spam...I have even thought of going to the dreaded word id that we all hate so much. I don't know that there is any particular country involved...I just delete a bunch of spam every day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's very cold up there so I guess they have loads of time to surf. I get quite a lot of Russian hits too.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmmmm....I use WordPress, and I never really check to see where many of the views are coming from. This got me curious, though. I checked, and nothing from that country...thank goodness! Most of mine are U.S., Canada, and Australia. WordPress catches all my spam and just throws it into a pot. I can quickly browse through it to make sure there are no legitimate comments that got caught up for one reason or another (usually from a new commenter) and then just push one button to delete it all. (It's always really easy to tell which are legit and which aren't.) It never shows up under my comments. I'm sorry you're having this problem. It seems to be pretty prevalent out there. Do not...I repeat, do NOT let these spamming idiots chase you out of something you enjoy so much that allows all of us legitimate folks to enjoy your creativity!!!!!! Please!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do get views from all over the place. I put on the flag gadget and I'm shocked to see how many countries supposedly have visited. Who knows if they are legit or not! Fun to see that all the countries represented though! Love your post about Russian china!
    Miss Bloomers

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have no idea either. My blog is small, but I just looked at my stats and there is activity from there as well???

    Jocelyn @
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello my dear Diane,

    Graciousness... I was cruising the Baltic Sea and went around Tallin, which was once a Russian colony.

    I have some photos of one of the famous Russian porcelain and I was drooling inside. Unluckily, I can't bring back to Stockholm, due to a sky high price.

    Hope you have a great w/end.

    Hugs from Lissabon,
    /CC girl

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi lovely lady.
    I also wish I could help you, but I don't have an answer. I also get visits from around the world,. I hope that you don't stop blogging we would all miss you. Thanks so much for your sweet comments on my new Tablescape. I hope you have a wonderful weekend with your family.
    XXOO Diane

    ReplyDelete
  14. I get some spam, but I have never really checked to see where my page views were coming from. Now I am intrigued and will have to look.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I used to get a lot from China.

    Always trying to sell things.

    If they aren't leaving spammy comments I wouldn't worry!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I too get visits from Russia but not much spam. It is always a little worrisome. At Christmas time the DIA (Detroit Institute of Arts) had an exhibit of Russian Faberge eggs that we went to, it was fabulous. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  17. What lovely, lovely pieces! I get visits from Russia and all over the world. Who knows? But, I did take off the anonymous commenters and my spam comments went waaaaay down basically overnight. Thank you for sharing and thank you for the visit and sweet comment at The Dedicated House. Would love it if you would share this post at my Make it Pretty Monday party. Here's the link if you want to check it out. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2013/04/make-it-pretty-monday-week-44.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was starting to get some anonymous comments that were odd so I had to stop anonymous comments. I haven checked my stats lately. Sorry I don't have answeres for you either.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I Am Very Happy To Read Of Your Blog.Really Great Post.Its brilliant.

    fiestaware

    ReplyDelete