Monday, May 6, 2013

The Mothers in My Family


Many times, when I post a table setting, I really do not use it for entertaining. So often, when I am entertaining, I forget to take pictures.  Therefore, I use the tables that I post to work out ideas that I will use for actual entertaining later.  Today, this post definitely will not be used, but I set it to honor and remember the mothers in my family.



I set a table for eight and each place setting represents someone dear in my life who could sit at the table - my daughter, my sister, my mother-in-law, my two sisters-in-law and three nieces - two are my nieces and the other is my husband's niece who is like my own. I, also, will be remembering my mother and niece who left us way too early.

Being a mother can bring such joys and sorrows, but almost every woman who decides to raise or help raise a child deserves to be honored on Mother's Day.  We all bring baggage into our marriages and to motherhood, but most of us do the best we can and, when our children turn out well, it is a miracle and source of great joy! A mother is usually the glue that holds the family together and each mother should be celebrated on this special day of the year!



I decided to set a mostly pink table, because there is no mistaking that a pink table is meant for women and I tried to make it look as frilly as I possibly could, even though most of these women are not "frilly" ladies.



I started with a white Ralph Lauren tablecloth, pale pink placemats from Big Lots and pink dinner plates.  On top, I added Lenox Marchesa, "Painted Camellia" accent plates.  These plates will eventually be passed down to my oldest granddaughter, since I allowed her to choose a pattern that she liked in the Lenox store once and this is the pattern she asked me to buy.



Pink napkins with white organza napkin overlays with white napkin rings that I made (well, painted!) were added, along with Watson "Bridal Flower" sterling silver.



For those of you who have read my blog previously, you know that I have an obsession for vintage glassware.  For this table, I used two of my patterns - Cambridge "Diane" and Fostoria #5098/5298, which is sometimes called "Fairfax".



I love the gorgeous stems and the beautiful etching on the "Diane" goblets.




I used five cut glass vases - four small and one a little larger to hold flowers for the centerpiece. The darker pink flowers were not as red as they appear in the photographs.  I did most of the photography on this table on a very rainy day and the colors did not show up very well.

I do wish that all of these mothers could be with me on Mother's Day, but they will be celebrating at their own homes with their children and/or grandchildren.

So instead - Happy Mother's Day to Angel, Robbye, Kay, Mom, Mona, Leann, George Ann, Andrea, Trudie and Babs!!!! Thanks for all of your efforts in trying to raise good citizens and lovely human beings!! You all are or were truly amazing women!!
 



Diane




Sharing at:

A Stroll Thru Life for Inspire Me Tuesday

Cuisine Kathleen for Let's Dish

Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Thursday

How Sweet the Sound for Pink Saturday

The Tablescaper for Seasonal Sundays


33 comments:

  1. Diane, this is just beautiful. I like the idea of setting this table just the way you did it... I had been thinking about setting a table where I would like to have my Mama and Grandmothers eat....maybe this is just the inspiration I need....lovely post and so thoughtful and loving...
    Love, Mona
    by the way, you have done a wonderful job at being a Mother...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do the same. My real tablescapes I hardly ever take pictures of; I'm too busy with the actuall entertaining to do so. Your table is gorgeous! I love your feminine set of dishes. I also love the pretty small vases with flowers in a runner manner. I have just my mom, no more dear Mil, in the past 4 years. Have a nice week.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diane, this made me weepy. Such a beautiful table, I love your crystal, especially "Diane", and the china, Camellia. Love it. I wasn't planning to do a tablescape this year, maybe you just convinced me to try. Happy Mother's Day! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do make believe tables just for the sheer joy of setting a table. Once in awhile I take a pic of a real one.

    I love this post and your beautiful table.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Diane, I loved your post and got all teary-eyed when I read it. What sweet sentiments you wrote to honor those important women in your life. I loved your whole table, but my very favorite were your vintage stemware...oh my, I'm swooning!! Happy Mother's Day to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh such a beautiful post and so full of special sentiment. Your china and crystal are gorgeous. So beautifully done, thanks so much for joining Inspire Me. The really was inspiring. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty,sweet, elegant and feminine! Happy Mother's Day, Diane!...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a thoughtful post! I loved how, when setting this beautiful table, you thought of those you wished to honor. You have put so much meaning behind each piece of flatware, goblets, and china. This was not something haphazard and I love that. If you only lived closer I would share some of my crystal with you as I am downsizing and need to find a new home for some of it. After reading this post, I know you would be the right person! Thanks for sharing this special and meaningful celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Diane this is so pretty. You put together such a nice arrangement of pinks. Those dishes are a wonderful pattern- she has good taste! Your vintage stemware ads perfection. What a nice tribute to those who can't be with you one way or another.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a beautiful post. The table is gorgeous and the women in your life sound strong! I love the pink. Every woman should celebrate pink!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just gorgeous, love the dainty and feminine look of your table. Ah, pink, what's not to like. Great tribute to the women in your life/family too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A beautiful table, with such a special meaning! Love it!
    Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, Diane. What a beautiful, touching post. I read every single word with anticipation of the sweetness with which you set your table and how you described it. And the Diane crystal...my, oh, my....I, too, am nuts about vintage crystal, especially if it's etched. How sweet that it's called Diane. I thought I pretty much knew all the Lenox patterns, but not Marchesa...how very sweet that that sweet little girl of yours picked it out, and that it'll be hers. Love it. My Boehm chickadee china will be my chickadee's too. :)

    Thank you for visiting my Duck Egg theatre seat post. You are absolutely right; it IS more welcoming! I hadn't thought of it that way. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

    Happy Mother's/Grandmother's Day, Diane. ~Zuni

    ReplyDelete
  14. Diane, this is a gorgeous post. Words, table and the precious china that your sweet girl will get to have and use. This table is so very pretty. I love every piece on your table! xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  15. Diane, I really enjoyed this post, not only the beautiful china, linens, flowers and sterling, but also the idea of a table for the loving women in your life. Your grand daughter's choice of china is so pretty too. I think setting this table was a labor of love for you. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  16. Diane, you always set such a gorgeous table. I love the floral plate with the pink behind it. Your glassware is simply stunning! Happy Mothers Day to you and all of the ladies that you mentioned in your post!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  17. Diane, your table is beautiful and so elegant even if it is mostly pink!
    Happy Mothers Day...have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful post!! Both the words and the table! It is amazing that you can mix such beautiful china and vintage stemware with something from Big Lots and have it all look like it was meant to be! I hope you enjoy your Mother's Day weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Whether the ladies who would sit at your table are/were "frilly" or not, I know they would enjoy and appreciate the effort you put into creating this pretty, feminine table! I love pink, and it looks so pretty here! The plates, the glassware...everything is just so pretty!

    I am so sorry your Mom is no longer here to hold and guide you. I have no doubt that she watches over you, though, and she is very proud of what she sees. Very nice table, Diane! I wish you the very best Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a gorgeous table. It's full of love for sure! I would love to be a guest at this table. The pink makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  21. BEAUTIFUL table! I love the pink!
    I'll have to check Big Lots! I havent shopped there in years! LOL
    I didnt know what I was missing!
    Lori @ http://jasminebrook.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your table is lovely, you manage an elegant and girly table setting. I love pink, but I know decorating with it can be tricky.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is a great tribute to the mothers in your life (past and present). It is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Diane, this lovely pink tablescape is the PERFECT tribute to all the wonderful women in your life! I think you did a spectacular job of bringing all the elements together. The soft outer wraps of the napkins are gorgeous & the various shades of pink everywhere just make it oh so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I was not raised with fancy table settings and still do not do so. However, I do enjoy seeing what other beautiful setting others do. Yours very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  26. We have never owned anything to fancy, I dont think I have even held something this fancy! They are beautiful though!! I also found you on How Sweet The Sound Linky party. I hope you can come visit me :D

    Teresa @ Freebies 4 My Family!
    Http://freebies4myfamily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very feminine and pretty, love the napkins! Happy Mother's Day:@)

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a beautiful way to remember some very special ladies. Pink is the perfect choice I think and those Lenox plates are absolutely stunning! Your granddaughter has great taste! Your delicate glassware is perfect with this pink tribute Mother's Day table. Hope yours is happy,
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a beautiful way to honor so many special ladies. Your frilly Mother's Day table is gorgeous, and I love your vintage stemware. Thanks for inviting us for a peak. Happy Mother's Day! Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a beautiful table in your pinks. The tablecloth, placemats, pink dinner plate, Lenox plates and the organza napkin overlays. Good idea to paint the napkin rings and your vintage stemware is so so gorgeous. Can't say enough about each placesetting.

    ReplyDelete