Wednesday, June 12, 2013

A New Find!


On my recent trip to Parrott, Georgia (read about it HERE), I ventured into an antique shop, Yesterday's. It was full of all kinds of vintage items.  My sister and I had a wonderful time looking around and I happened to peer down into a glass display case and spotted this wonderful, footed bowl.  I was not positive, but I thought the color of green looked like some of the old Fostoria pieces that I had seen.  I decided to buy it, along with two clear etched glasses (more about those in another post!).




Sure enough, when I returned home, I discovered that the bowl is Fostoria #2394 and Replacements had a photo of a candlestick in that series.  They, also, had a picture of the bowl in other colors.  I was so excited, since Fostoria crystal is one of my obsessions!



While, I  do own Fostoria green glasses, I do not own any this particular green (on my very long "wish" list!). The green in my bowl is one of the older colors that was used in the 1920s and 30s.  However, I had bought blue and green footed glasses at TJ Maxx some time ago and thought they would work for this tablescape.




I pulled out some of my rattan chargers and used Gibson blue dinner plates.  A "Sunflower" white salad plate was placed on top.



To pull the colors together, I found some napkins that I purchased at Florida Linen in Panama City, Florida.  Oh, how I love that store!!  If you missed my post showing all of the beautiful items they sell, you can read it HERE. I used my every day stainless flatware "Cantata" by Oneida.



Of course, the star of the table is the bowl!  I added small green moss balls and daisy mums. I carried daisy mums in my wedding many, many years ago, so they are always special to me.



This was a very simple table setting. I deliberately did it this way to prove that, even if we do not always have the perfect items we want  (Fostoria green glasses from the 20s!) to set a table, we still can make a tablescape happen! Most of the time, a substitute can be found that can be just as interesting. The next time that I use the green bowl, I will spend more time putting a tablescape together, but I was so excited about the bowl that I just could not wait!!  Don't you love it???

Diane




P. S. For those of you who have been asking about my friend, Marge - after three weeks on a ventilator, she was taken off of it today and is doing much better.  Thanks for all of the thoughts and prayers.  Also, please keep our blogging friend, Alicia Nichols of Tablescapes at Table Twenty-One, in your thoughts, as she lost her father today.


Sharing at:











19 comments:

  1. glad to see you back..I have missed you...glad to hear that your friend is better...and I have been thinking about Alycia a lot so now I know why....and I do love your new green bowl...beautiful color....I will have to look it up...very pretty Diane..
    Love, Mona

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful bowl and the color is so pretty. Love your tablescape too, it is beautiful. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. You found a gorgeous piece and I love how you used it on your table!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bowl is exquisite. I love the color as I love the glasses too. They work perfectly together. I am glad your friend is doing better, Diane....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a really beautiful bowl. You have a keen eye to spot such a gem! I love the pretty glasses too. Our TJM never has more than a couple of anything glass. Gorgeous table. xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy to hear that Marge is doing better, Diane!
    Your new treasure is beautiful bowl! I love the goblets you paired it with and your dishes, too. The napkins tie everything together.
    I carried daisies at my wedding, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm happy your friend is doing much better. Yes, Alycia is in my thoughts and prayers.
    Your bowl is gorgeous! The glasses are fabulous also. They remind me that I just found some that are similar. The napkin is great also

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the bowl - what a find! Love the blue and green and daisy theme! I have a daisy theme this week too! Thanks for sharing your lovely table!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad that your friend Marge is better...that's a huge victory to come off of a ventilator. Your new green bowl is an amazing find. I can imagine it used in so many different scenarios. Way to go! I would have bought it, too! I love your 'simple' tablescape. The blues and greens bring a wonderful feeling of 'cool' for a hot summer day. Thanks for inviting us for a peak. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty, those goblets are great! I love the white daisies in the green glass bowl, really makes them pop and it sings summertime! What a great idea to use it for flowers instead of a candle!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenna - thank you for the sweet comment. Unwanted to cleanup some confusion, though. I did purchase a bowl. The candlestick that I showed was the piece that Replacements had that matched my bowl.

      Delete
    2. Jenna - my Internet is out today and I do not type very well on my IPad. I meant that "I" wanted to clear up some confusion!! Sorry!

      Delete

  11. Thank you my dear Diane for you cute comment.yes we need to see the simple beauties around us which mother nature has given to us.i love your buy .The green bowl and the white plates looks great.Very elegant and a nice way to arrange the flowers in the bowl....Hugs..:):)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Simple tables are what it's all about with me this year. That lovely candlestick makes a great low vase. I love the glassware...by now y'all must know it is my favorite color combo!
    Have a wonderful week, Diane...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Maam Diane,

    Welcome back home. I was drooling when you showed your vintage finds and hope you enjoyed your trip.

    The simplicity of your table make more elegant and that matters for me. It more real and could just grab the chair, sit and chat.

    Happy Thursday, Lady D.

    Greetings from Stockholm,
    /CC girl

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think its a lovely table, sometimes simple is the best way to go. LOVE that bowl and those blue/green glasses! Awesome! Blessings - Dawn @ We Call It Junkin

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your bowl is beautiful! I love, love the color! It goes great with your table! Perfect!
    Blessings My Friend,

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Diane, that bowl is gorgeous! What a lucky find. I really like the blue and green stemware, and your plates look so pretty with it. Such a pretty tablescape. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dang it...that is the second or perhaps even the third time my post has disappeared!

    Repeat what I said...your beautiful bowl resembles one my Mom received as a wedding gift about 75 yrs ago.
    You can see it here:

    http://rettspace.blogspot.com/2010/01/my-birthday-celebration-with-mothers.html

    Hers is clear & has matching candlesticks, which are also visible in some of the photos.
    You've found a real treasure!

    ReplyDelete