Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Cake in a Mug


Do you ever get the urge for something sweet, but you do not want to wait for a  cake or cookies to bake? I feel that way often occasionally and I really do not want to have an entire cake sitting around for just my husband and myself to eat. When I cannot stand it any longer, I usually bake a "cake in a mug".  Since most of you have been blogging for a while, you might already know about this wonderful idea, but in case you do not, I wanted to share.  My daughter gave me the recipe a couple of years ago and I am hooked!




The other day, I started working on this table, because I had some flowers that still looked good and did not want to waste them.  I decided on a green and pink theme, because the flowers were pink and I had some plates that I had never used.



These salad plates are "Charmed Rose" by Lynn's China and were very inexpensive.  However, I bought them, because I liked the green and pink colors, which decorate them.  You can barely see it in the photo, but the rim is the palest shade of green, which blends into the white center.



I looked through my vintage glassware and found pink "Rosaline" wine glasses by Cris D'Arques/Durand and green water glasses by Hazel Atlas. I had planned to explain to you all about the water glasses being part of the Hazel Atlas "El Dorado" line, but after I had already started this table, I found an old advertisement for that line on the internet and these glasses were not shown.  Replacements lists these as being "El Dorado", but I have always thought they just did not look like they were. "El Dorado" pieces have round dots on them.  So now, my tutorial is on "hold"!!  Apparently, no one has ever written the definitive book on Hazel Atlas, so it is difficult to identify some of the pieces. I will have to get back to you on this one!!!





The other piece of vintage glass is the pink "Teardrop" Indiana Glass compote that holds the flowers.




I had pink and green reversible placemats, along with green "Samarra" and pink "Coventry" plates, so I used those with the Lynn's china.



Reed and Barton "French Renaissance" sterling was added to the place settings.



Now, back to the "good stuff"! While, I was putting this table together, I decided that I was really hungry and thought of a cake in a mug.  It would not take long and I would not have lots of leftovers to tempt me later. Oh, my goodness!!!! I could make a couple and use them in this post.  Then, I could eat part of one later - win/win!!!!



So, that is exactly what I did!!! One cake is really too much for one person (taking the 5th on whether or not I have ever eaten a whole one myself!!), so two make a total of four servings.  They are not the prettiest cakes, so I added a huge strawberry to each and sprinkled some powered sugar over the cake.  I am leaving you with the recipe that my daughter shared with me, but I have realized lately that there are many variations that you can find online.  Hope you like it!!


Cake in a Mug

4 tablespoons of flour
4 tablespoons of sugar
2 tablespoons of baking cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips (really any flavor will do)
Small splash of vanilla

Add dry ingredients to large coffee mug, mix well.  Add egg and mix thoroughly.  Pour in the milk and oil.  Mix again. Add chocolate chips and vanilla.  Mix everything, one more time.  Put the mug with cake mixture into a microwave and cook on high for 3 minutes at 1000 watts (ovens may vary).  The cake will rise above the rim of the mug - this is normal. After the 3 minutes, take out mug and let cake cool a bit. Tip the cake out of the mug onto a plate, cut in half and enjoy!  You do know that recipes that you find while blogging have no calories, right????

Diane

P. S.  I just saw another recipe for a cake in a mug on Facebook.  I have not tried it, yet, but I thought I would add it, anyway. Buy two kinds of cake mixes.  One can be any flavor, but the other must be an angel food cake.  Mix the two together and put into an airtight container.  When ready to make the cake, mix 3 Tablespoons of the mixture and 2 Tablespoons of water in a mug. Cook for one minute in the microwave.  You may add ice cream, fruit, etc.  Good luck - I cannot wait to try this one, too!






Sharing at:

How Sweet the Sound for Pink Saturday

The Tablescaper for Seasonal Sundays

Cuisine Kathleen for Let's Dish

Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Thursday







25 comments:

  1. Your table is beautiful and I love the cake in a mug idea. I will have to try the one from facebook sometime. It sounds so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane,
    I have never made a cake in a mug but that will soon change..LOL I love your table..the colors are beautiful...I just wish I knew as much about all things dish as you do..or maybe it is just a good thing that I know YOU!.
    love, Mona

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Diane, I have tried both cakes in the mug and love them! I wish I could share one with you at your pretty table. I love those floral plates with your pink and green goblets. The placemats are the perfect choice for displaying all your pretties.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your tablescape is lovely and I have to tell you, I was thinking about the cake in a mug recipe just yesterday. I knew I had seen someone post it either in a blog or on Facebook quite a while ago, but I never wrote it down. My hubby is diabetic and gets upset when I make cakes because he shouldn't eat them...but this little treat I can make and he'll never know. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect! You just gave me the answer about 'why I don't make a BIG cake just for hubs and me'...because I would eat the entire rest of the cake!!! Your table with the pink hues is lovely. I love pink depression glass and the centerpiece is very pretty. Big hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  6. MMMMM, this looks yum and easy! and your table looks so pretty Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO Pretty! I have always loved pink and green together. The dishes are beautiful! Perfect to serve a yummy, no calorie dessert from :)

    Kindly, Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your tables, always, Diane! And I have made a mug cake (or two) in the past. They really helped when I felt like I was going to go crazy wanting something good and chocolate-y. ;-) xi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous recipe! Your table is beautiful! The plates and goblets are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete


  10. Nice table setting.Like your table mat and the lovely dishes.The cake looks yummy.Love and hugs...:):)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Diane!
    Thanks so much for dropping by my site! I'm so glad you did, now that I've found you, I'm your newest follower.
    I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this table. It is just beautiful. The colors are so soft and friendly and your room is gorgeous.
    I'm an empty-nester, so making an entire cake it out because I have zero willpower. ugh. I WILL make this cake in a cup though. They will be perfect for the two of us. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hah, Diane - Thank you so much for stopping by. I did a little chuckle to myself when you mentioned that pretty scarf!! I adore scarves and wear them all the time...in fact, I have seven crates of them!!! All colour coded so I know which crate to grab. Maybe it does have my name written on it....
    Suzyq

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a pretty tablescape! Pink & green are great together. Your stemware is lovely and thanks for the cake in a mug recipe. I've heard of it, but never tried it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness, where to begin?!?! Love the green HA glass, love the pink, love the china, the pink glass compote...can I come shopping at your house? Hee hee. And thanks SO much for that recipe - I printed it immediately. My girls & I will enjoy making it. Blessings to you - Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, my heavens! What a fabulous idea for when the sugar cravings get the best of me... love this recipe! My printer is not hooked up yet so I will bookmark this post for sure! And the pink and green combo has always been my favorite.. so preppy.. so New England! Thanks for sharing everything with us!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my, what a pretty tablescape!I love the colors and the lovely accents. Your china is simply gorgeous, looks so elegant and matches the carnation centerpiece so beautifully:)Thanks for inspiring us and for your sweet visit! Happy Sunday!Hugs,Poppy

    P.S. I love the cake in a mug idea! Thanks for sharing the recipe, I'm pinning it:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Diane,

    I just love the pretty table you've set!! Pink is absolutely one of my favorite colors, and it really looks classic paired with green. I love your plaid placemats, beautiful china, stemware, and elegant sterling. The pink flowers in your centerpiece really pop, and it all adds up to a beautiful table!

    I haven't seen the cake in a mug recipes, but this looks like a great idea. Does it have the texture of a molten lava chocolate cake, by any chance? Those are a real favorite around our house. :)

    Thanks so much for your visit and your very sweet comments! That "Wind In the Willows" book you spotted is a copy that our son gave me for my birthday a year or so ago. Believe it or not, I'd never read it and neither had he. We read lots of books together when he was growing up, so I'm not sure how we missed that one. Those were such special times.

    I hope you have a wonderful week, Diane.

    Hugs,

    Denise at Forest Manor

    ReplyDelete
  18. Everything is so pretty about this post....the tablesetting and the recipe! I am going to give your cake in a mug a shot. I will confess I have never seen or thought about making a single serving of a cake treat, so am very glad I came upon your recipe. Thanks for sharing my friend, I pinned it to share with others. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the idea of a cake in a mug, being alone most of the time. Your plates are really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Diane, I love that Charmed Rose pattern. it's gorgeous, and your flowers are perfect with it. The pink and green stemware are both so pretty. Your table is summer perfection with the flowers, and the pinks and greens. I make the 3-2-1 cake recipe frequently (your last recipe), but I've never made the other cake in a mug. I keep the two combined cake mixes in zip lock bags, so I can whip up a cake in seconds. I have a bag with strawberry and one with chocolate. My grands think they are wonderful. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a pretty table, all of the pinks and greens. That salad plate is darling.

    Wonderful to have you at Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your table setting is so pretty, delicate yet the plaid mats give it a fun pop.
    The cake looks pretty AND delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just reading some of your back posts that I missed. I can't seem to catch up lately. I love the cake in a mug recipe. Thanks. I plan to use it.

    Your tablescape is very attractive and I was interested in all the names of the pieces.

    I think your flowers are exceptionally nice and the placemats, china, glassware and flowers all compliment each other nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  24. (I knew I couldn't have missed following you!) I almost missed this stunning table setting here! I'm glad you shared the names of the beautiful elements you have in your tablescape, as they are gorgeous! The plaid mats are perfect too, along with the yummy cake, my friend.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am just seeing this pink and green, Mom. I love it!

    ReplyDelete