Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Catching Up!


Kathleen of Cuisine Kathleen has given us the challenge of setting an all white table for the July 31st Let's Dish. I have been working on my table, but I started thinking about one that I did for Tablescape Times Three a number of years ago. You can view the post HERE. I remember how much fun that I had setting this table.  However, I am having a more difficult time finding something that I like and photographs well for Kathleen's challenge! We have had so much rain that photographing in my dining room has been a nightmare! I will have a table ready, though, but I cannot guarantee the success of it - lol!!




I want to thank everyone who asked about and prayed for my friend, Marge.  I am so thrilled to report that she went home from the rehab center yesterday on her birthday.  It was a glorious birthday present!! After being away from home in three different hospitals, since May 23rd, she was able to sleep in her own bed last night.  What a miracle!!




Some of you might remember my post Dreaming of Peaches.  Well, I am happy to report that delicious, ripe Georgia peaches are finally here.  This was terrific, when I was trying out the Facebook recipe for cake in a mug.  If you remember, in my last post Cake in a Mug!, I gave you my favorite cake in a mug recipe and added a new one at the end of the post that I had not tried previously.

I have had a terrible time with this recipe and wished that I had made it, before I gave it to the rest of you.  I bought the required angel food cake mix and a white cake mix.  I first tried the regular recipe and realized that for my microwave, the recipe called for too much liquid.  I made it again with better results, but it tasted like cake mix and I did not like that. I tried, again, by adding some white chocolate and regular chocolate chips, but they all sank to the bottom (this does not happen with the first one I shared).  Finally, I doubled the recipe (still cutting the amount of liquid) and...I still did not love it.  Wait just a minute here - didn't I just write that the peaches were in season??? Oh, my goodness!  I took the recipe that I doubled, cut the cake in half.  Then, I added fresh peaches and a couple of dollops of fat free Cool Whip.  Whoohoo!!  Who cares how the cake tasted, the peaches and Cool Whip did the trick.  This is how it looked on my Villeroy and Boch "Intarsia" dessert/salad plate:




Don't those peaches look fantastic - actually they were (not that I ate it all or anything)!! However, in all seriousness, I have not been impressed with the Facebook recipe.  My sister tried it with angel food cake and carrot cake and said that she was pleased with the results. Please let me know, if you tried it and what your favorite flavor was.  For now, I am sticking with the made from scratch one. 

I guess that catches us up on a few loose ends, so I guess I had better sign off and continue working on my white table for Kathleen.  However, just because I cannot resist, I am leaving you with a picture of my daughter and her family, while they were on a trip out west.  Can you imagine two weeks in a car with three children??? Everyone survived and had fun (I think!) -18 states in 12 days!!!!  I hope you and your families found something fun to do this summer.  August will be the month that I really get to enjoy my grandchildren!!

Diane





 Sharing at:








22 comments:

  1. Mmmmm the cake with peaches and cool whip just would hit the spot for me, Diane! The plates you used are so pretty. I'm so happy to hear about Marge and her return to home. There's nothing quite like sleeping in one's own bed.
    I know you'll come up with a beautiful table for Kathleen's challenge. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Diane, so sorry, I haven't been by. I have been away, opne week in Utah, came back to the airport and did not even come all the way home cause I had to fly to Canada the next day so we just stayed in a hotel close to the airport. I just got back from Canada last Sunday only to unpack and then pack for my trip to FL next, this Sat. So glad to hear about your friend Marge. Love your peach plates but I love the peach dessert even more. Yum!...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cake sounds wonderful.

    Good news about your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like we're old friends sitting at the kitchen table sharing news with each other! So happy that your friend mended well enough to come home. Nothing like being back in your own surroundings. And just saying "Georgia peaches" makes my mouth water! I will try your original recipe rather than venture out. I was wondering if you could make a vanilla cake by leaving out the cocoa powder and adding a bit more flour/sugar to make up for that particular dry ingredient. Maybe take the seeds from a vanilla bean pod to add for even more flavor. I will have to try it and let you know. Can you imagine this working with your peaches and cool whip? Mmmmmmmm.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds great Kadee! Usually, when I make this cake, I am desperate for something sweet and chocolate - lol!!

      Delete
  5. Uh, no I can NOT imagine 2 weeks in a car with 3 children. I can't imagine even 2 HOURS in a car with 3 children!!!! Heck, I can't even wrap my head around 2 hours in a car with ONE kid!!!! Hats off to your daughter and her husband!!!

    We will gladly take some of the rain you've been getting. We got a quick shot of the wet stuff here this afternoon in some parts of the city, but not nearly enough to make up the deficit. SO dry!!!

    I'm really, really glad to hear that your friend, Marge, is at home now. She has my prayers and good thoughts for continued healing and good health. She looks like a really nice lady.

    Good luck on your white table! I don't think I'm going to be able to do one since my surgery is coming up on the 26th. I have already put everything away in an effort to have our home spic & span and well-organized before I go in. I wouldn't be able to bear a house with things out of place for the months I'll be down!!!!!!

    Have a wonderful weekend! Take care!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Georgia peaches...there're none better but they are hard to come by. It's far more likely we'll get the tasteless ones from California.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking forward to seeing your white table. Your peach dessert looks scrumptious. I haven't had any fresh peaches this summer yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, yummy peaches! When life gives you bad cake in a mug, grab your peaches! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Diane, a gorgeous family photo!! Loved your white table, it's really very pretty. Not a baker, so I didn't try the recipe, although I had intended to, shame on me. Working on white myself. I had one good table years ago, how to top that or come up with something else, I know hard huh? Can't wait to see what you come up with. xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  10. Envious of your Georgia peaches. Our Texas peaches didn't make a crop this summer. I'm craving some good peaches for pie and cobbler.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well you made my mouth water with the thought of Georgia peach. The ones available here are blah. So happy about your friend going home. That was a long time to be away from home. Been there done that. Still hoping that will not have to happen again anytime soon for us. Yes, your daughter is very brave. I'm glad they had fun. I can't wait to see your table. I'm not sure I can pull it off.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those peaches look delicious! We enjoy Calhoun County, Illinois peaches and they have started to come in. I'm glad to hear your friend is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, Diane. Your white table is crisp and lovely. And anything peach catches my eye, which your picture did! Last year I made a trifle with fresh peaches (a variation of Susan's from BNOTP), and it was a huge hit! Now I'm thinkin'...I don't know if I'll be doing a white table. Not committing yet, but have fun with yours! ~Zuni

    ReplyDelete
  14. I too have been dreaming of peaches, and I'm dying to make a peach cake. Thanks for the heads up about that recipe, I'm still looking around! Looking forward to seeing your white table!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love peaches too, and we went from KC to Disney World in Florida with four adults and two kids. Wow, traveling can be fun but exhausting. Glad your friends has been able to go home. Good luck on the white table.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a pretty table! I LOVE peaches and on our last trip through the south, we missed the season. I'd like to travel back just for the peaches (and of course all the sweet people we met along the way!)
    I can't wait to join in on the White Table next week. See you then!
    PS...thanks for dropping by my site!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Diane, I forgot to comment yesterday when I read it on my kindle....wanted to let you know I made my very first cake in a mug today....it needs a little tweaking but it was really good and easy...maybe I need to focus more on cooking for two since we have been empty nesters for almost 20 years. lol any more good easy recipes? love all your pictures..especially of Andrea and her crew..how brave they were...
    love, Mona

    ReplyDelete
  18. Diane, I have been making the 3-2-1 cake for a long time, and we like it. I can't imagine what was wrong with yours. Maybe you just have more discerning taste that me and my family. I am sooo in love with that centerpiece on your all white table. It is gorgeous! Glad your friend is doing better. I know she was so glad to get back to her own bed. You have my mouth watering for some fresh peaches. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh yummy and I love to bake anything from cakes to bread, so I'm loving this! You have a beautiful family. The White table is simply gorgeous, so I guess we'll see each other at Kthleen's too! Your friend Marge is looking wonderful. Many blessings for her. Thank you for your visit sweet lady. I am going to follow you now, hope you want to do so back. Enjoy your weekend.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  20. We're close to the time when we'll be buying 3 bushels of fresh Porter peaches. I'll give your recipe a try! Thanks. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your peach! I've been thinking of a white tablescape Also We'll see if I come up with one But I'm sure yours will be great

    ReplyDelete