Wednesday, July 24, 2013

She Sells Seashells!


I have had this tablescape in my mind for quite a while.  I think that I found these fabulous stems first:
 


I found them some time ago at Tuesday Morning.  They are Mo-Mo Panche and make quite a statement!!

Next, I found the Karen Lee Ballard placemats on One King's Lane.  They are indoor/outdoor mats with a vinyl coating.  I usually do not buy anything like this, but I thought that I could eventually use them at our condo in Florida and they would be perfect for the table on our balcony. You can see our view HERE.



Since brown is my favorite color, I decided to use brown Oneida "Asiatic" dinner plates with the addition of white and aqua plates on top:




I used napkins from Florida Linen in Panama City, Florida and shell napkin rings that I have owned for years. On the back of these napkin rings, the price is still written with permanent ink - it reads $ .79!!  I think seventy-nine cents each was a bargain!






I always think of my Towle "Diane" sterling, when I am planning a tablescape that involves water.  This silver was made in 1889 and is covered with wavy lines, which reference the ocean. I used forks and spoons of this pattern and completed the flatware by using old mother-of-pearl knives with sterling ferrules and silverplate blades.

All of these pieces were in my head for a long time, but when my lovely daughter and her family gave me some wonderful apothecary jars for Mother's Day, I finally had the whole table set in my mind.  I had to wait to bring back shells from the beach, which I used to fill the jars. Finally, the table was set! Well, not really.  When I added the shells, they jars looked pretty dull.  There was so much blue on the table and none in the jars.  Eureka!  I had an idea.  I headed straight for Dollar Tree to see if they had any aqua vase fillers.  This never happens to me, but they did!!!  The first store had them - yeah!!

I came home and added them to the jars and was so please with the results:




I think that I can transfer this idea to the beach - I have brown Fiesta and aqua Margarita glasses there. Many thanks to my daughter's family for helping me finally get this table done! Now, maybe, I can move on to some of my obsessions - I have not written one of those posts in a while! Speaking of my daughter, I have fantastic news!  She has reactivated Tablescape Times Three! You can read all about it HERE. While I probably will not be posting there, we will be sharing links to each others posts.  I am so excited, because she has some fantastic creative ideas and she and her new husband (also, brilliant and creative) will be sharing lots of interesting and useful information.  Don't miss it!! Best of luck, Andrea and Steve!!


Diane





Sharing at:

Cuisine Kathleen for Let's Dish

Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Thursday

The Tablescaper for Seasonal Sundays







29 comments:

  1. I love the Diane by Towle with this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane, this is one of your prettiest tables so far..right up there with the fish plates table.You really do this kind of table beautifully..I can see your heart in them.and I love,love the apothecary jars..perfect centerpiece..
    Love, Mona

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, certainly the stems make a statement with the wave-etchings in them! Everything is very summery from the placemats, gorgeous dishes and the fabulous apothecary jars filled with sea shells! Love it! Have a happy Summer.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it Diane!!! Of course that sea shell centerpiece is just a huge statement! I say, bring on the lobsters! Yey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful seascape Diane. It is perfect here and for the condo, too. Love the shells in the jars! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful table, Diane! The stems are so pretty & the apothecary jars make for a fantastic centerpiece!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, wow, wow! First, your table is gorgeous! I love the soft colors and all the nautical touches! The stemware and dishes are perfect. And, don't you just love the Dollar Tree? Sometimes it's a dry run, but looks like you hit it just right!
    Secondly, I visited your post at the condo...and the view...amazing...not sure I'd ever want to leave. You must truly enjoy spending time there.
    And finally, I also hopped over to your daughters blog. She's beautiful and so is her family! Looks like she's got a lot planned for the next chapter of her life!
    Thanks again for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Diane, I love the colors of this table. You sure added the right touch with the aqua colored glass added to your seashells in the pretty apothecary glasses. Those goblets are stunning and your Diane flatware is a treasure. It's all going to be perfect for your Florida condo. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these colors. The Aqua and Brown is really pretty together! The glasses are amazing and I can see why you bought them! I enjoyed this and the shells in the jars with the aqua filler is perfect.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Diane, your table is gorgeous. I love the soft tones and the seashell theme. The Towle flatware is so pretty. Very elegant beach cottage dining..

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am loving your table!!! Crushing on that stemware for sure!! The mix of the blue and brown combinations is perfect. Pretty napkin and napkin ring pairing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Diane, i love those glasses!!! And the centerpieces. Wow they are stunning, glad they had the vase filler as it's the perfect finishing touch. Love the china and placemats. This whole table takes me to a very classy beach. It's fabulous. xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish our Tuesday Morning had those glasses! Having just returned from Martha's Vineyard, I am into the beach scene ;o) I am loving this table!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, hooray for your daughter's site revival!!! That's great! I'll hop on over there to take a peek as soon as I'm done here.

    I'm glad you were able to find the aqua dragon tears...and at the very first place you looked, too!!! That's great! No running all over creation in search of!!! They really do make a whale of a difference!

    The stemware is beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!! My goodness! You should be able to get TONS of use out of those!!! I love how the "wave" on them looks!

    GREAT buy on the seashell napkin rings!!! I would never have thought them to be so well-priced! Good job!

    Everything here will look and feel right at home at your Florida home! No worries there!!! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I LOVE it all. The napkins, the rings, the glasses, the jars and everything!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love anything sea shell and your apothecary jars full make a great centerpiece! The stemware is over the top cute, I haven't been in Tuesday morning in years, must start checking it out! Your table is perfect for summer~I did pop over to your daughter's blog and wow, what a story...I am so glad things have turned out so well for her and your family! Quite a story, and I loved that blogging and tablescaping has been such a wonderful outlet for all 3 generations.
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, Diane. What a fun post--your table is awesome, and then I popped over to Andrea's "new" blog, and it was so fun to get to know your daughter! I haven't been very good about visiting lately (as I'm sure you've noticed, LOL), but your comment on the giveaway brought me over. I was in love with the goblets, can see why you absolutely bought those cute placemats, loved the dishes/color combo, THEN...the sterling flatware. I've not seen that pattern, Diane, and it's absolutely gorgeous--and named for you! How cool is that?! I've spent way more time than I had visiting with you and your girls, but it was so much fun! ~Zuni

    ReplyDelete
  18. Diane, your sea shell table is offering a little escape for my morning coffee. I feel as if I'm at the beach. Love the new stems! How perfect for this table. The Towel Diane is one of the prettiest patterns ever with it's curves and waves. Great job! ~ Sarah
    PS
    I have a set of shell place card holders. This reminds me to pull them out and use them!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Diane, beautiful table...those shell filled apothecaries make a great centerpiece. The flatware is so pretty.
    Have a great week...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've been using my large jars for candy and cookies. Your idea iis calorie free!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Diane:

    I always find it interesting how a table evolves. I so know what you mean about finding those last few pieces to pull it all together. Neat glasses.

    I'm so happy to hear that your daughter is blogging again and that your granddaughter is doing well. I popped over and saw her post. Wow that is a LOT in 2 years!

    - Alma, The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete

  22. Pretty table.Love those elegant goblets.The blue plate looks lovely...Beautiful and a cool share..Love and hugs...:):):)

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a wonderful tablescape! It's perfect for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautifully done. Love shells in jars and all things nautical or seaside! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  25. The table setting is beautiful.

    I love the details:
    -those glasses are perfect with the wave design
    -the silverware with the ocean design is gorgeous
    -shell napkin rings and jars of shells, love them

    ReplyDelete
  26. Seashells are one of my favorite things, so you know I'm loving your tablescape. Love the stemware and napkins with the shell holders. Thanks for the tablescape inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love those beautiful glasses, they sure set the stage along with your wonderful shell collection...love the beachy setting...perfect, I have some things to do one, don't ask what is taking so long,,,

    ReplyDelete
  28. Those glasses make me swoon! Beautiful. I just did a shell table also! I love keeping my dining room table set since it is the first thing you see when you walk in. Happy Sunday! XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  29. The glasses are gorgeous and you have designed a stunning table to surround them! This setting is subtle elegance at its best.

    ReplyDelete