Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Appetizers and Desserts on the Porch


 Do you ever go to a really nice restaurant and want to order just an appetizer and a dessert?  Some of you may actually enjoy doing this, but I feel bad taking up table space, when the restaurant could seat someone who would order a larger meal.



So I decided to have my own dinner on the porch with only appetizers and desserts.  No one else would mind and it would be less clean-up for me!




First, I used a green tablecloth and, then, a beautiful flower runner and napkins by Raymond Waits that I had found at T J Maxx. I had only one runner - using two would have been much easier, but the fun of blogging is sometimes we have to be creative in using the things that we already have.  My solution was to use two different kinds of plates - Bordallo green "Cabbage" and JC Penney dark yellow "Pearl" in two different sizes.

On the runner, I placed the green dinner plate first and the yellow salad plate on top.  Where the green tablecloth was showing, I used the yellow dinner plate with the green cabbage salad plate on top. I did not like the way the cabbage plate looked on top of the green tablecloth, so I thought my two color plate solution was perfect!



You can see in this photo how the yellow dinner plate looked on the green tablecloth.




I pondered a bit over the idea of flatware.  Should I use two salad forks - one for the appetizers and one for the dessert? I thought about it and decided to use a cocktail fork for the appetizers. Instead of putting the salad/dessert fork at the top of the place setting, where it usually goes, I put it to the left of the plate and slipped the cocktail fork into the napkin ring for a little something different.  On the right side of the place setting, I used a small breakfast/dessert, mother-of-pearl Gorham knife with sterling ferrules. The cocktail and dessert forks are Gorham "Strasbourg".




The two stemware pieces were chosen for their colors.  Fostoria yellow "Moonstone" wine glass to serve wine with the appetizers and a green cordial stem by an unknown maker that I found at Goodwill (love shopping there!) in which to serve a liqueur for dessert.





I did not have a great deal of room for a centerpiece on the table, so I used a green covered box that has a bird on top and has the same Majolica feel that the Bordallo plates have.  I added four hobnail votive candle holders, so we could eat by candle light, if the sun went down.  Most of the time we cannot wait for the sun to set, before we eat - lol!




I very rarely show the outside of my house, but I thought I would thrown in a few pictures of what we can see from our porch.  This is the view of the lake on which we live.



These are some of the trees that allow us a lot of privacy from the other part of the lake.  The lake is on the other side of the trees and is very pretty, but I love feeling like I am surround by woods.



This is the flower bed that we can see from the porch.  The roses are not at the peak of their blooms, but I think you can imagine how pretty this bed is sometimes.






This is the view that we can see, when we look up.  Since the lake is down a hill from the house, we feel like the porch is almost a tree house porch!



This is our beautiful white Crape Myrtle.  It is 21 years old and gets more beautiful each year.  It is really the only thing worth photographing in our yard this time of year. Spring and Fall are the times, when we really see lots of colors!

I am leaving you with more porch scenes.  I hope that you have a special place, where you can vacation in your own home.  Isn't it great??









Hope this tour was not too long - so wish you were here to enjoy this lovely outside view and have appetizers and desserts with me - I am thinking boiled shrimp with cocktail sauce that I can serve in this Bordallo Pinheiro gravy boat with the "Strasbourg" cream ladle. Also, we can have bacon wrapped breadsticks, which I will make with the smaller, fat breaksticks, so that I can serve them on the darling Bordallo plate with the frog on the edge.  Lemon meringue pie and chocolate truffles for later - yum!

Diane





Sharing at:





















32 comments:

  1. Diane, your home looks so tropical and lovely. I would gladly sit down and enjoy drinks and those appys with you. Beautiful table too. Those glasses, I want them! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea Diane!!! Plus, with your beautiful view, the meal and the 'not-waiting' part is absolutely understandable!!! Love your set-up as always dear, you always make everything special!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love having hor d's and dessert, when I go with the girls sometimes we do that, we just make sure it is a little later after the dinner crowd and we have a cocktail before and we always think that sort of makes up for using the table...I love seeing outside your house, I love to see where people live...and what they see outside...your view is delightful, sure wish I lived on a lake,,,come on over for a visit I have the watermelon waiting for you...Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diane I enjoyed your tablescape a lot! The photos of your view is amazing. How lovely to live on a lake! I would enjoy eating on your porch for sure.
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great table. Love the views from your porch. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diane,
    I am so happy to see pictures of your yard! it is beautiful...and the idea of ordering apps and dessert.well, just my style but I am like you...I hate to do it and take up the table at dinner time.. I used to do that regularly at lunch when I was working...your porch and your table are just so southern..and beautiful.. I hope you've had a fun week with EC..
    Love, Mona

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh so lovely to have a place to enjoy and over look your pretty garden. The creative use of two different colored plates for each place setting is great ! The runner and napkins have the colors of summer. Your idea of appetizers and dessert sounds so much fun. Thanks for sharing all these ideas.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful view, Diane! I could stay in your porch all day. Your table is so pretty and so summery. Love the BP dishes, those greens are my favorites. I love dessert and sometimes I just want to order appetizers too to make room for it but get embarrassed at times. Good idea creating your own!....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favorite part of this table is the table linen. It's all so lovely. I loved the whole table (and really want to be able to wait for sunset to eat, too. It just sets so late right now!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your beautiful table, and your yellow wine glasses, oh so pretty. Like your sweet bird centerpiece too. Appetizers and dessert sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Diane, I could vacation in your house 24/7! What a beautiful view and area. I love appetizers and dessert. My kind of meal. totally. I do not feel badly about ordering that combination at all. sometimes it's even appetizer and salad. The table turned out so pretty!!!! Love the combination of the plates you used. Oh gosh. Love the yellow and green. the runner is perfect.. I could sit there all night after dinner! xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I wish I could join you. Love the colors of the runner and napkins. Everything looks so inviting.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  13. This table is gorgeous! I love those napkins and runner...and everything else on the table. You made a great choice with the plates.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A very beautiful table! Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my, my, my! What a gorgeous place! The lake, the forest, the trees, the beautiful lawn...it's all stunning! It must be very relaxing living in such a calming place. I could just sit for hours looking at the spectacular view!
    Okay, now for the table. Wow, again...I love the colors. The greens are perfect for the backdrop of your place. The table runners and dishes really compliment each other. And truth be told, I could probably live off desserts! I love them so! And since I'm confessing I usually begin with dessert first! haha
    Thanks for sharing and dropping by my site.
    Have a wonderful day!
    Sharlotte

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad you shared your beautiful views along with your pretty table. Love your majolica pieces. You mentioned the woods in your nice comment to me. Too bad you have to wait for the snakes to go away! We visited Vermont last year thinking it would be a wonderful place to live, but there are tick warnings everywhere! We are used to getting out and about in the woods all times of the year. I guess we are pretty lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely spot! Your centerpiece is perfect with your table setting, and the colors you chose are complimented by all the glorious nature around you!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a beautiful table...and I love how you eat what you want instead of going thru a whole huge meal...I love just eating appetizers and a dessert...totally fun!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just lovely! Your lot is like a bit of paradise. The table linens and flatware are beautiful. The colors are so perfect for the outdoor setting. I really enjoyed visiting with you today.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous setting, my friend! Your tablecloth is so pretty, along with the flatware. I love this outdoor setting, makes me want to go and sit there and eat appetizers and dessert, wow! Thanks for your kind visit and one day I will make a post gathering some of the designs I did at our past Factory, although I don't have the 15 designs, but just a few. Enjoy your weekend my friend.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love Raymond Waites patterns! You picked the perfect one for your appetizer and dessert dinner on the porch. Everything works so beautifully on your table. I could spend hours here! What a lovely setting!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful!!! Lots of preety things to see and enjoy.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your table is so pretty and I love your view.

    Gorgeous white crepe myrtle!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your table is so beautiful. I love the colors. What a nice view from the porch. We have white crepe myrtles and you are so right. They are about the only thing blooming right now.
    Have a great Sunday. Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  25. Everything is perfect including the views. I love how you alternated the plates.

    I have always wondered what a Crape Myrtle looked like and now I know. Are the trunks always so interesting?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you for your comment on my post! I just read down to where you described the appetizers - yum! Everything is beautiful, but especially the view. Your beautiful Crape Myrtle looks like summer fireworks!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my....I wish I were there for appetizers and desserts...:) Sounds heavenly! Your tablescape, porch, and yard are all beautiful! What a blessing to live on a lake and to feel like you are in a treehouse on your porch! Enjoyed every part of this post....Blessings, Vicky

    Life On Willie Mae Lane

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wonderful to have you be a part of Seasonal Sundays!

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  29. Loving your blog! New follower here, hoping you'll stop by my blog and say hello and follow back :)
    http://thecraftiestallie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  30. My husband and I will often split a dinner as we don't want to eat a huge meal... so appetizers and dessert? Heaven! And it looks like heaven is right outside your door! I am so passionate about trees and to be surrounded by so many lush trees makes me smile. Lucky you! Another great tablescape.. another bit of getting to know you better!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am going through your years' worth of posts and am just seeing this one for the first time. I LOVE THIS ONE!

    ReplyDelete