Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Rose: The Color, not the Flower!


Do you have a color that you love, but do not use very often?  I feel that way about rose and I have always liked the way it looks with other colors.  In this post, I am using it with green. However, I have previously used it with blue and white, when I was a new blogger on Tablescape Times Three.  You can see that post HERE.



The wonderful plates that I am using are Savinio "Fleur de Rouge" purchased at Tuesday Morning several years ago.  I have eight of the dinner plates, which do not have designs in the centers and four salad plates and four bread and butter plates, which do have designs.  Tuesday Morning, also, sold the soup bowls. However, I never bought those and have no idea why.  I guess it was one of those "I-can-always-buy-those-later" decisions, which always causes regrets..  Do you ever do that???

Here are the other three designs of the salad plates:








The bread and butter plates have the same designs and for this table, I mixed the patterns for each place setting:






I used a combination of napkins - green and rose flowered ones from Boscov's and a white organza one from Florida Linen.  How I acquired the pretty green napkin rings is an interesting story.  After Christmas last  year, I ordered four red and green jingle bell napkin rings online to match some that I already owned.  When the napkin rings arrived, these green ones were inside the box.  When I contacted the company, they told me to keep these and they would send the ones that I actually ordered - wow!  I was so impressed with the customer service that I want to give them a public "Thank you".  The company name is Decorating with Lace Outlet and they have great prices on linens.




The sterling flatware is "Imperial Queen" by Whiting.  It was made around 1893-95.  I have seen both dates. The pattern is similar to many of the Queen and King patterns made, during the late 19th century. One of the most expensive examples of these patterns was "English King" by Tiffany.  It was first produced around 1885 and can still be bought at Tiffany's. A four piece place setting costs $560.00 new.  The older serving pieces can be quite expensive!

Tiffany's English King




Sadly, I do not own butter paddles in the "Imperial Queen" pattern, so I decided to use Blackinton "Azalia" ones. I realize that "Azalia" seems misspelled.  However, that it the way that the Blackinton Company spelled this pattern.  I thought that "Azalia" blended well with the "Imperial Queen", although it was made a bit later (1902) in the Art Nouveau style.


 

For the stemware, I chose two patterns:




This one is "Maxim" by Circleware.  These are not expensive stems, but I do like the fact that they have gold rims, which repeats the gold on the china.




The green stem is even more inexpensive!  I found the first two of these at Goodwill (love Goodwill shopping!) for almost nothing.  However, the best part of the story is that later I found four more matching ones on eBay!  What are the chances of that? I have no idea who made them or what the pattern is, but I do use them over and over.

Well, that was my short tribute to rose - the color, not the flower.  If you would like to see another post using the Savinio china, I used it in another Tablescape Times Three post HERE.  I set a table with it for a dinner on my porch.

Hope this post has inspired you to pull out a color that you do not use very often and I wish you a "rosy" day - lol!

Diane





Sharing at:

Cuisine Kathleen for Let's Dish

Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Thursday

The Tablescaper for Seasonal Sundays






30 comments:

  1. Your table is so delightful, I love shopping at the Goodwill too...I love the silverware and the sheer over napkins and of course the stunning dishes, love the wonderful rose color...your table is so inviting if I lived near I would be over for dinner...thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your table is always exquisite Diane- you are lucky to have such beautiful collection of china and silverware! Love the different patterns on the plates and of course the overall set-up! Right now I'm craving for a similar set up since disposables does not equal 'fine dining' at all! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Diane. I love pink and green together, so this table is such a draw. It's lovely. The dishes are just beautiful; I especially love the rim design on the dinner plate. BUT...the sterling...Oh.my.gosh....BEAUTIFUL! I've never seen that pattern--WOW. Great table, Diane! ~Zuni

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your table setting is lovely Diane! You just don't see rose around that often anymore, but it is such a graceful colour. Love those dishes, I adore plates with large prints and flowers on them. Perfect, pretty post my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by - I checked out your blog and it is so cute! I love Atlanta, too! I used to live there and visit, as often and I can!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always marvel at your knowledge of tableware.. what the pattern names are and the history behind them. I also tip my hat to your finding pieces from here and there and bringing them all together in one very interesting tablescape! Brava!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely tablescape. I love that colour as well. Your silverware is absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I love those sterling pieces, so exquisite! The table is so pretty. The plates go so well with the tablecloth. Beautiful set! Love the colors. I love that color too and don't use it much either, don't know why. I am still in FL but will go home on Sun. Dd you see the wall accessories I added?...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! I do love that color but don't think I have much of it! The silverware is gorgeous!!

    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Diane,
    I just love your table.....rose is a beautiful color and you did it up right! Always love seeing your sterling pieces..so pretty...Glad to see your Goodwill finds..nice...
    Love, Mona

    ReplyDelete
  11. Diane,
    Your table is gorgeous! I love the dishes, the flatware, napkins, napkin rings, and the stemware!
    I understand not buying everything at one time, it gets expensive. No need to worry, I'll bet you'll find the other pieces if you decided to add to your set.
    The flatware is stunning. I love the pattern and textures. The second set is very complimentary, beautiful together.
    And your stemware! Goodwill? Really? You really had a lucky day! Those are beautiful too and to find additional pieces? Wow! This table really has a very interesting story! Congrats on all your treasures!
    Sharlotte
    (PS...thanks for dropping by my site!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those plates are gorgeous and the flatware incredible. Beautiful table!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Diane, this is a wonderful tribute to rose, indeed!! Your plates are gorgeous and the silver, well I just about had to hold on to my chair!! It's really, really stunning. Your stemware really plays well on this table. a gorgeous table. xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful china pattern...and those green stems are gorgeous. I love the old sterling...they had such lovely intricate patterns back at the turn of the 20th century.
    Have a great week, Diane...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Diane, my heart always skips a beat when I see that beautiful sterling pattern. You are fortunate to have these pretty patterns. The plates were a good find. I like the interesting details on the borders, and the fact that each plate features a different rose design. Everything about this table is delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your plates are so pretty, Diane, and really stand out on the rose colored tablecloth. The sterling flatware is exquisite!! Love the choice of goblets for a splash of color. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kitty! The e-mail that was sent to me with this comment completely disappeared from my e-mail account. I have no idea what happened to it. I saw it and the next time I checked to answer it, it was gone! I looked in the deleted file in case I had accidentally deleted it and it was not there, either. One of those crazy mysteries!!!

      Delete
  17. This is really lovely. I especially love those green stems. Beautiful table!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great post! Your table looks so pretty with those lovely dishes, and the green goblets REALLY made it pop. I always enjoy hearing the story behind all the table elements!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful color, beautiful cloth! It looks wonderful with the plates and drama of the green glasses! Lovely Diane!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  20. Delicious color story...I love the organdy napkin and the green goblets. Makes my heart skip a beat. Beautiful table. Thanks for inviting us for a peak. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete

  21. Thank you Diane..Those plates are my old buy almost 15years old.I am fond of these things and i keep buying them.Your rose plates are gorgeous.love the napkin fold.I don't find green goblets here much in our place..yours look very pretty.Lovely table indeed.Thank you for your stop...:):)Love and hugs..:):)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your sterling pieces are exquisite Dianne, I am totally smitten with them! I have sterling pieces, but no flatware, hope someday I'm lucky! The rose plates are beautiful and your setting is amazing! Have a lovely weekend.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful table, Diane! I can't decide which I like better...the Savinio "Fleur de Rouge" plates or that GORGEOUS flatware!! Oh my...and yes, lucky you to find matching stems to go with your very pretty green Goodwill finds. ~~clap-clap~~

    ReplyDelete
  24. So beautiful. Love all of the different plates and the organdy napkins are the best.

    Great to have you at Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful table, the pattern and color is lovely. Love the napkin covers, so elegant. The flatware is perfect with your china. Gorgeous table!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Diane,

    So nice to meet you! Rose is a lovely colour, soft and feminine, but also playful and dramatic! Your table setting is charming; love the napkin design!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a pretty table, the dishes are beautiful! I am going to check out that company, I love good customer service!
    Thanks for linking to Let's Dish.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is absolutely beautiful....I LOVE the rose color....and with the green glasses....divine.....can't believe you found the first two so thriftily.....I love that, truly!!!! Really, this is such a timelessly elegant table!!!
    Bravo!!!
    Love/hugs/blessings,
    Lana

    ReplyDelete