Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Breakfast with the Hummingbirds!


A couple of week-ends ago, I was trying get ready to have breakfast on the porch, when I  noticed a cute shot of my husband's wheelbarrow.  He had already gotten out the wheelbarrow and the rake, so that he could get busy in the yard, as soon as we had finished eating.  Since, I was already using my camera for this post, I walked out of the screened-in porch to our small deck to shoot the picture.

This is what I saw:


As I was standing there with my camera in hand, I heard the crazy noise of hummingbirds at our feeder, which was just a few feet away.  I turned very quietly and started photographing those dear, tiny birds and I wanted to share a few of the picture with you.



First, one of the birds was standing guard on the feeder.  He was making that adorable warning sound that hummingbirds make.



Next, an interloper showed up and things really started to get wild.  They chased each other all over the yard, but continuously returned to the feeder.



Can you see them?  One on each side of the feeder fighting for territory!!



I hope you can make out both birds in this shot - one was sitting on the edge of the feeder with his back to the camera, while the other little bird came zooming in to chase the first one away!  Can you see the look in the eye of the second bird - wow! That one looks angry!!



This shot certainly looks like the two hummingbirds had made peace, but I am afraid that they had not! The fighting continued the entire time that we ate breakfast!  Oops!  I got so carried away with these little birds that I forgot that I am supposed to be writing, about dishes!  



This was our setting on the porch - not much planning here!  I just threw together a few things and carried them out there.




The plates, bowls and mugs are "Fanny's Garden" by Tabletops Unlimited.  The back of the china reads "Tabletops Avenue", but I think that brand is a part of Tabletops Unlimited - Replacements lists this pattern, under Tabletops Unlimited.  The napkins were purchased at a Lenox Outlet store on clearance a few years ago and the flatware is an Oneida stainless pattern, "Cantata".



I bought the green ruffled placemat at Steinmart. At one time, Steinmart carried green ones and gold ones.  I bought a supply of both.  I though they were so adorable, but it is very difficult to place flatware on them.  That is why the soup spoon and teaspoon are not in the usual place at the place setting!



Orange juice, sugar and cream were placed on the rattan server.  Coffee and the food were added to the server last to make sure everything was hot, when we were ready to eat.


This wonderful pot, which lives on the server, always, is very precious to me.  It was made by some very close friends, Huey and Anne Wheeler of Dawson, Georgia.  They are fabulous potters and, if you are on Facebook, you might want to look them up.  They are listed as: Folk Pottery by Huey and Anne.

Well, that is all I have to write, about the table setting in this post. However - getting back to the bird story - guess who won???





Diane






Sharing at:


Cuisine Kathleen for Let's Dish

Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Thursday

The Tablescaper for Seasonal Sundays







27 comments:

  1. Diane..this is great. I have tried all summer to capture hummingbirds and finally gave up...I love seeing yours..maybe I need to hang a feeder.
    that would probably help....Such a nice setting on your porch adn the wheelbarrow shot is wonderful...
    Love, Mona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! We are also enjoying seeing the hummingbirds at our feeder just outside our breakfast area. They also love the red flowers on the desert honeysuckle in our yard. Your new dishes are pretty! I have one set of the ruffled placemats, too, and they ARE tricky when placing silverware!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would you believe I've never seen a humming bird in our yard? Fighting or not, they are beautiful creatures to behold and I must say, the 'show' you saw was better than any reality tv around! Would be fun if you betted on which bird won! hahaha! Love that pot too dear, its rustic and unique!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed those pictures very much because humming birds are so exotic to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got great shots of the hummingbirds! Every time I try to get a picture of a bird, they fly away. I must be too loud! lol

    Your dishes are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those hummingbirds are so cute but they are so fast. I have a hard time capturing them. Your setting looks so pretty and very relaxed. I love eating out there but it is still too hot. The pot is very unusual, I love the handle...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my gosh, Diane...how I love, love, love hummingbirds, and how I would love, love, love to capture pictures like you did! One year my husband and I were on the screened porch and saw one of these "dances/fights"...it was enchanting! As for your sweet breakfast table, just that: so sweet. I love the picture of the wheelbarrow; I can see it on a card. :)

    Thanks for stopping by my rearranged furniture post; I don't know why I hadn't seen this post of yours, and I sure would've missed something very special! ~Zuni

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my gosh, Diane...how I love, love, love hummingbirds, and how I would love, love, love to capture pictures like you did! One year my husband and I were on the screened porch and saw one of these "dances/fights"...it was enchanting! As for your sweet breakfast table, just that: so sweet. I love the picture of the wheelbarrow; I can see it on a card. :)

    Thanks for stopping by my rearranged furniture post; I don't know why I hadn't seen this post of yours, and I sure would've missed something very special! ~Zuni

    ReplyDelete
  9. While we sat outside eating dinner last night, a hummingbird flitted to and from around our yucca tree. Oh, how I wish I had the camera ready.

    Your photos of the birds are so sweet. We find it a little too cool for breakfast outside, but lunch and dinner yes - while we can.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Diane, watching the hummingbirds is mesmerizing. I can see why you got distracted. Your setting on the porch is so pretty... I'll be right over with a Coffeecake! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous photos of the hummingbirds and they are so sweet. Your breakfast table of the Fanny Garden pattern china is wonderful being used on the patio. You have a lovely place to dine and enjoy the view. Have a great week!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great place for breakfast...and watching feisty little hummers!
    Have a wonderful week...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful post! Hummingbirds only feed one at a time! They do that in our yard too! I love them...you got great pictures! By the way your breakfast plates are pretty too!
    Blessings My Friend,

    ReplyDelete
  14. hummingbirds are fascinating little creatures! Great photos and fun post Diane!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow!! You got some great shots of those humming birds! Fabulous porch setting and garden. We have had some wonderful weather here - hope you are having the same so you can enjoy watching those humming birds come and go!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Capturing the hummingbirds is a major victory. Congratulations. The dinnerware is perfect for a cozy meal on the porch...with hummingbird music for entertainment. Thanks for inviting us for a peak. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love those dishes...and the ruffled placemats. Wonderful peaceful setting to enjoy while watching the hummingbirds.

    ReplyDelete
  18. One of the joys of dining on the porch. Your setting is lovely, and the added attraction entertaining. Love the shot of the wheelbarrow. That could be a notecard. '-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your dishes ! The hummingbird photos are wonderful !

    ReplyDelete
  20. How cool that you were able to capture the birds so beautifully!
    Love your pretty breakfast setting, too.
    We should do that more often because soon we won't be able to!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good p.m. Lady D!

    Wow! Hummingbird looks like having fun in your garden. They are blessed having you around.

    Looks so FAB on your unexpected settings. Love your dishes. So Fall.

    Have a nice w/end.

    Hugs,
    /CC girl

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love those hummingbirds! So neat. Your table looks great too.

    So happy to have you at Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great shots of the hummingbirds, I have always wanted a feeder. Love the pretty dishes too. xo

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow Diane, perfect timing with your camera. Fabulous captures of the hummingbirds. I love the snap of the evil eyed little guy, he may be tiny but he’s fierce! This is how we love to spend weekend mornings. Love your pretty table for two, great colors. Great post........

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the pictures of your little hummers, they are so sweet, I know I love to see mine come for a rest and some food...those dishes look so pretty out on your patio, what a wonderful place to rest and have a snack...Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the pictures of your little hummers, they are so sweet, I know I love to see mine come for a rest and some food...those dishes look so pretty out on your patio, what a wonderful place to rest and have a snack...Phyllis

    ReplyDelete