Sunday, September 22, 2013

Falling for Apples


It is time for another challenge from Kathleen at Cuisine Kathleen.  This week, we were supposed to incorporate apples into our posts.  Not a problem!  I am always ready to discuss apples, especially the ones that were carved by a late friend of mine - but more, about that later!



I was excited to find these cute plates on eBay.  They are made by China Pearl Fine China and, amazingly enough, the pattern is called "Apples"! Replacements, also, has tons of this china with many serving pieces and glassware to match. I ran into a little difficulty deciding what to use with them, because the color of the rim is teal!



I finally decided to use pale apple (!) green placemats and rattan chargers.  The pewter- look flatware is from Steinmart and the stemware is from Mikasa.

Recently, my husband and I took our oldest granddaughter back to school and my sweet husband planned a trip to Replacements on the way.  He stayed at the hotel, while my granddaughter and I had a fabulous time shopping at that wonderful heaven for tableware lovers. It was my granddaughter's first time visiting the store and we had the most fun in the overstock area, where the real bargains are.  My granddaughter fell in love with these cute apple bowls:



She asked me to keep them for her, along with the other pieces that I purchased for her, but told me that I could use them for blogging, if I wanted.  How lucky that I had them for Kathleen's challenge!  I think they should be used for dessert bowls with individual apple pies in them, don't you?



The real stars of the table, however, are the apples in this basket!  They are some of my most prized possessions and were hand carved by a very special artisan named, Sara E. Finney.  "Miss" Sara, as I used to call her lived at Hard Twist Ranch near Milledgeville, Georgia with her brother, Tut, and sister, Martha Lou. Sara made apples (don't you just love the apple core that she carved, too!) and red pepper swags.  She briefly made peaches and I totally regret that I never made it out to the ranch to purchase some of those. Going there was always a treat - Sara was a character and Tut collected toy trains, which always fascinated my son and me.



One of my favorite stories about Sara is that a very famous artist, Elaine de Kooning, once visited the college in Milledgeville and was taken to Hard Twist Ranch to meet Sara and see her work.  Ms. de Kooning (wife of the artist, Willem de Kooning) was so taken with Sara that she sent Sara an invitation to the opening of every exhibit that Ms. de Kooning had the rest of her life.  When I knew Sara, she was still so unimpressed with Elaine de Kooning and her artwork that she gave me one of the invitations - I still have it. Sara was a simple person with an incredible self-taught talent. Her apples were sold throughout the United States and abroad. A real Sara Finney apple always has the letters "S" and "F" carved on them.




All this talk, about apples has made me want to take a trip to the north Georgia mountains where we can buy the best ones, ever.  Kathleen,  thanks for giving me the opportunity to write about "Miss" Sara and reminding me, about those fabulous north Georgia apples!


Diane





 Sharing at:

Cuisine Kathleen for Let's Dish

Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Thursday

The Tablescaper for Seasonal Sundays
 


33 comments:

  1. Diane,
    I love this about the apples. Those hand carved apples are gorgeous..almost better than the real thing.. and you and EC did a grand job picking out some new things at Replacements..do they have a guest room in your honor?? LOL one day I am going to visit there and I will tell them I know you! you have such a sweet husband...Very pretty table..now I must get mine done!!
    Love, Mona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post! Your apple table turned out beautifully -- love the new plates! And what a great story about the hand-carved apples! I know you treasure them. I envy you the trip to Replacements -- that's on my Bucket List!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your table is not only lovely but the story really fascinating Diane! next time I see any wooden apples, I'll make sure to check the "SF"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such cute plates. I used to have an apple theme in my kitchen and I would have definitely bought these plates! Your granddaughter sounds like she is following in your footsteps. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your table looks wonderful and I love the carved apples! What a treasure & a great story to go along with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Diane, I don't know what is going on, but I can only see your top photo and not any of the rest. I'll try again later. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi again Diane! Well, I still am getting the blank box where the photo should be, but if I click on the small "x", I can pull up all the pictures. The plates are beautiful. I know you and your granddaughter had a ball at Replacements!! I love the hand carved apples...what a treasure to be sure. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved reading your tales this week! The memory you created with your granddaughter.... the memory Sara created for you! That's what it's all about, right? I love this time of year, too. Oh, how I wish I could bake a crisp or make a pie. The problem is is that I would be the one to eat the whole thing! And I just signed up for Weight Watchers! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Diane, what a perfect apple tablescape. I loved reading about Sara and her beautifully carved apples. Those apple bowls are beautiful. The color is such perfection, and you even have great apple plates! I think you win this challenge with flying colors. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Diane, lovely post and sharing the memory of Sara. The apple bowls are lovely. Love the apple plates too. I don't have any apple decor...sad face...Something to look for. xo Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Diane, Love your wonderful carved apples! The apples bowls are such fun! I've never been to Replacements and I live about an hours drive away...I'm afraid to go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful story about those beautiful wooden apples! The core is of course my favorite one! How much fun to have such an incredible memory to go with your table!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great history on the carved apples, Diane. Looks like your granddaughter is taking after you how fun! Her apple bowls are beautiful. I also like your plates. Beautiful table!...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  14. Diane, What a wonderful story about your well loved apples. They certainly are beautiful pieces. I would love to go to Replacements! Your hubby is indeed a sweet one. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like that you let your collection of Sara's apples be the star on your lovely table. They sure look real...even the one someone ate! Loved the story about Sara.
    Have a great week, Diane...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely setting and loved your Sara story. Her apples are wonderful works of art.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Diane! Thanks so much for sharing the story of Sara--her apples look incredibly real! The teal on the plates is very pretty with the green placemats and brown chargers, and the bowls are super cute! I am so impressed how different all the tables are!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Delightful story about the carved apples. She sounds like a true fun character and know your visits were always special. Now I will be looking at craved apples to see if they have her initials. Replacements is on my bucket list to do one day. Really like the apple bowls.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Diane,. Your apple table is filled with delights, and I enjoyed the story of Sara Finney's apples. What a talented lady! It makes me smile to think that your granddaughter is also one who loves dishes. Partners in crime! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your story about the carved apples. What a nice treasure to own!
    I like your apples plates and the new apple bowls. Your granddaughter chose well! How lucky that you could go to Replacements and shop!

    ReplyDelete
  21. And thank you for sharing that story! Her apples are beautiful, what a treasure! Love your table and the apple bowls are darling, no matter what you put in them!
    Thanks for taking the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Forgot to say, I would love the bargain section at replacements, what fun that would be!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Since you have the perfect plates, you must have loved the apple challenge! I'm glad you shared the Sara story. Meeting such people is what fills life with color.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a wonderful story to go along with your apple table! The table looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've always wanted to visit Replacements...some day. Great plates, and the jewels of the setting are absolutely the
    Sarah Finney apples. Thanks for inviting us for a peak. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  26. Cute apple plates and a great story to match. The carved apples are such a hit and especially the carved out one. Bet you had a great trip with your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Those Apple plates are adorable, along with the great story! I love red apples mostly, but in my Apple post I used Granny Smith's to match my dishes, lol! Your centerpiece with the apples in lovely too...love it all! Thanks for your sweet and kind visit. Hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you for the touching story about your apples in a basket. Whta a great post! I must admit, I thought the apples were real. They are to be treasured for sure. I am getting around a little late. I am house hunting in Houston.....
    Blessings My Friend,

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lovely! Those plates are great. I am so jealous! I've always wanted to visit Replacements...heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is a beautiful story about Miss Sara and I didn't even know there was a Replacements store. Now you have me wanting to come to Georgia... Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a wonderful post. Your granddaughter's love for ceramics will surely lead her to your hobby! I loved your story about Sara, also. What an artist!!
    Thanks for sharing. Your table is lovely--
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a great post! I loved all the apples this week, such a fun party! I didn't know Replacements had a "real" store, I thought it was just an online company. How lucky for you to actually visit and then shop their discounted section! Wow, you must have had a lot of fun. BTW, those little apple cups are too cute and yes, perfect for this table! Great job! Thanks too for all the information about Sara. I thought those apples were from your market, not carved. What talent...they are gorgeous and wonderful treasures for you! You always have such interesting things to share and pretty tables too! Have a wonderful weekend!
    Sharlotte

    ReplyDelete
  33. I have a collection of SF carvings from my mother-in-law...apple, eggplant, sweet potato, onion, carrot and one more I'm not sure what it is.

    ReplyDelete