Wednesday, September 4, 2013

The Wise Old Owl





“A wise old owl sat on an oak; The more he saw the less he spoke; The less he spoke the more he heard; Why aren’t we like that wise old bird?”

Now, there is novel concept - you actually learn more by listening, than speaking - hahaha! In truth, I have heard this many times previously, but I still have problems with turning off my mouth and turning on my ears. What is the other saying - oh, I remember, "We all have two ears and one mouth for a reason"!!! I guess that most of us need a little reminder about that...

I used to collect owls many years ago, so when my granddaughter saw these owl plates on our recent trip to Florida together and insisted that I buy them, I was both amused and delighted!



I had no idea what I would do with them, but how could I resist that adorable face??? Somehow, I always manage to find great things at Old Time Pottery in Destin, when I am at the beach.

I thought that I might save the plates for Halloween, but I started thinking that they could be used for any Fall table. Looking for items that might look cute with the plates, I came across some placemats and napkins that I have had for a very long time.  I cannot remember where I purchased them, but it was probably somewhere like T J Maxx or Tuesday Morning.



The placemats and napkins are orange with stripes of different fall colors. I decided to use rattan chargers and wooden beaded napkin rings, because I thought they would look good with the brown in the linens.

Orange Waechtersbach "Fun Factory" dinner plates and black salad plates were, also, used with the owl on top. The black "salad" plates are in the "Fun Factory" line, but are really large saucers for the jumbo mugs.  They do not look like saucers (no indention for the cup), but that is what the label on the bottom read. All of the Waechtersbach  plates were purchased at Tuesday Morning at different times.



The footed ice tea glasses are Colony "Whitehall" in the amber color. Colony made these glasses in many different colors, as did Fostoria with their similar "American" line.




The green flatware is from World Market.  I think almost all of the tablescapers out there in blogland have some of these pieces. I certainly wish that I had more!





I made the centerpiece by using some faux mums that I had purchase on my trip to OTP and added a mosaic votive holder that I already owned.  To elevate the votive holder, I used a glass candle stick underneath.




Then, I just surrounded the candlestick with the mums. I knew that Dollar Tree candlestick would come in handy some day, when I bought it!





I could not resist taking this somewhat "spooky" shot of the owl, even though it is not Halloween, yet:



I hope you are getting in the mood  for all of the fun Fall and Halloween activities and I hope that you will learn a lesson from the wise old owl - listen more and speak less.  As for me, I am still a work in progress!!!


Diane





Sharing at:

Cuisine Kathleen for Let's Dish

Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Thursday

The Tablescaper for Seasonal Sundays

29 comments:

  1. I love it, Diane! Oh those owl plates are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this..you got a little wisdom and a little whimsy..you go girlie!!! And I always like it when you use fall colors..pretty table, Diane.
    Love, Mona

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful, Diane. I love the simple orange and black plates, and the owl plates are very cute. I would have grabbed a couple, too. Love how your centerpiece turned out. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sooo cut Diane! I especially love the footed ice ta glasses - gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This table is adorable Diane! The owl plates are the cutest, I can see my g'girls wanting to eat in them and me too! This post it's such fun too. Thanks for your sweet visit my friend.
    Big hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just came back to tell you that the amber glasses are gorgeous!
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  7. The entire table is lovely and those owl plates are precious. I have never been into owls, but after reading your quote and seeing your cuties, I might have to get something "owl".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this is so cute, Diane. The owl plates are really pretty, so whimsical. Good call on your granddaughter. I love the fall colors you put together. I can't believe summer is almost behind us....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those owl plates are so cute, Diane. I love the amber ice tea glasses with the straw chargers. The green flatware is such a perfect choice. I have a couple of those Dollar Tree candle holders sitting around waiting to be used like you've done. Great job! I just can't get into the Fall mood. xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are the cutest owl plates I have seen, Diane...and they are green! They look great against the Waechtersbach. Yes, lots of us bloggers have the WM flatware, it is so versatile and nice looking!
    Have a wonderful week...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your adorable owl plates! I couldn't give a hoot about the last days of summer, I'm ready for fall :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your owl plates are soo cute! I would have bought them too. I love your table. It does say fall but also fun to me! Great colors! I have amber tea glasses like yours, I wasn't sure who made them. Thanks for the info.
    Blessings My Friend,

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great way to start off the fall season with such a cute table!! The owls are adorable, good thing your granddaughter talked you into buying them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really cute Diane, owls are so popular right now, I bet you will have lots of fun with these! How special that your granddaugther insisted you get them, so sweet!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute theme for the end of summer. I was a Chi Omega so I used to have a fair # of owls. They've really become popular in recent years. I took photos of an owl themed table setting at a store recently. Thanks for sharing this special table.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Diane, I love these little owl plates! They must be quite popular because I've seen owls everywhere! I don't have any...yet! haha! Your table is precious, love the colors, perfect for fall...and that spooky shot? scary!!(not really but really, really cute!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, those owls are adorable and fun! I'm glad you didn't pass those up. Beautiful table - colors, patterns, textures - and a terrific centerpiece idea. I found you at Let's Dish.
    Blessings,
    Kim @ Curtain Queen Creates

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely table...those owl plates are great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm funny that way...I will talk and talk, giving lots of advice to my kids and other times I don't say a word, mostly when Mom is giving me advice!

    Owls bring a home good luck.

    Lovely post my friend, love the table setting. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your owl plates are so cute and so is the entire tablescape!

    Big Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the owl plates! Just so cute and you put your table together beautifully. My husband said an owl was just above his head in on of our trees last night when he went to take the trash down to the curb. Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is so cute! Love the owl plates! Fun fall table!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Diane, this is so fun! Love the owl plates, and yes, you did need to get those. The oranges look so great with them. Whooo could resist this wonderful table? I am all too familiar with the owl saying (and for good reason). laurie

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello Lady D,
    Thank you so much for always coming and visit Stockholm. I am so blessed to have you as a dear bloggie friend.

    You make me giggle with your lil owl plates. They are so cuties. I see that you have so much fun playing while I am hibernating.

    Hope to hang with you once again.

    Have a great week-end with your lovelies.

    Hugs,
    /CC girl

    ReplyDelete
  25. Diane, I'm so glad you stopped by today! The owl plates are so adorable and they are perfect for fall. I also love the Whitehall beverage ware. We had the same glassware in blue growing up and I was so happy last year when my mom gave it to me. Several pieces are chipped and I treasure them chips and all!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love your table. The owls are adorable. It's great how our tables come together from all sorts of sources.

    Wonderful to have you at Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  27. And to think it all started with your granddaughter's memory of you! That makes this whole tablescape even more special, doesn't it! Fun elements with the owl plate being the jumping off point.. with the rest of the pieces falling right into place! Very nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Diane, I think your grand daughter inspired you to create this charming fall tablescape. It is really cute. I find it very interesting that you can find a little something here and a little something there and end up with a terrific combination to pull together for a great display for your table. I don't get to Old Tome Pottery very often but I should make a point of going more frequently. I still collect owls and I would have bought them too.

    ReplyDelete