Sunday, October 20, 2013

Eeek!!!


“Will you walk into my parlour?” said the Spider to the Fly,
 'Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
  The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
   And I've a many curious things to shew when you are there.”

“Oh no, no,” said the little Fly, “to ask me is in vain,
 For who goes up your winding stair
     -can ne'er come down again.

And begins one of my favorite poems, "The Spider and the Fly" by Mary Howitt written in 1829.  I have always loved this poem and decided to use it as the inspiration for my Halloween table this year.




I found these adorable appetizer plates on the Crate and Barrel website and they were on sale - yeah! I had to add a few bugs - spiders get hungry, you know!





The black and white tablecoth was purchased from Boscov's online and the black and orange placemats came from my local Steinmart store. With all of the black and orange, I decided to use white flatware that that I bought at Walmart a number of years ago.




The centerpiece was a large faux pumpkin from Jo-Ann's that I decorated with a spider kit from Martha Stewart.

You have seen a few of the bugs that the spider wanted to catch, but the real stars of the table were all of the spiders!




They were clinging to the pumpkin -


 holding onto the napkins -



lighting the table -




and creeping down from the chandelier.



I hope that you are not afraid of spiders, if you decide to come celebrate Halloween with me. I find them lots of fun, as long as they are fake!!



Do you love Halloween, as much as I do?  Maybe, it is because I used to teach pre-school, but I love pretending on this day every year.  Now, I just have to decide whether I will be the spider or the fly!!


Diane




HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!



Sharing at:

Cuisine Kathleen for Let's Dish

Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Thursday

A Stroll Thru Life for Inspire Me Tuesday








29 comments:

  1. I love your table so much, the spiders are the coolest, love the placemats, it looks like little spiders are all around the edges...I love the spiders hanging from the ceiling...Love it all

    ReplyDelete
  2. So so cute Diane. I love Halloween too. Maybe because we are both educators. I loved it as a child too, it was so fun going trick or treating in my neighborhood. I find spiders eerie so I would choose the fly. Darling table

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable table...so many details, I love it! I'm working on my table for tomorrow, not doing a great job, lol! Terrific Halloween table. Have a great week.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  4. EEEEEK!!!!! I'm eeking in a good way Diane! In love with your beautiful Halloween table!!!! You know how much of a sucker I am for Halloween stuff and this is super awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this, Diane, I love Halloween, my fave holiday, not afraid to admit it either, and I used to dress up as a witch to give out candy to the kids. I used to get 100 + trick-or-treaters but it has dropped down to about 40 now. I used to take a vacation day from work, too. I am nuts. lol xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing table! I love how you kept the Hallowe'en colours and spiders but made it funny and whimsical!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Diane, what a fun table! The spiders on the chandelier are great! Love your little EEK plates, and those napkin rings are spectacular! The black and white check tablecloth is such a great backdrop for this setting, and how cute the spiders are, crawling all over the pumpkin. Love it! laurie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that poem too and your table certainly does it justice! All those spiders and you still made it an inviting place to eat! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect Halloween table setting. Love the placemats. I am starting to set my table for Halloween, so feeling very inspired from your post! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Diane, what a perfect poem to inspire your Halloween table. I love all you faux spiders!! The plates are perfect and look great on the placemats and on the checkered cloth. It looks like you had so much fun putting this together. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the creepy spiders. The black and white tablecloth is perfect for a Halloween table. Love the punch of the orange color with all of the black and white. I want the spider napkin rings. Where did you get them? ..... Candy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Candy - those napkin rings are Park Designs and I purchased them on eBay. Thanks for the sweet comments!

      Delete
  12. Diane~ Love your spider embellished pumpkin and spooktacular table! Your spiders on your chandy are so fun! I enjoy Halloween too as long as it's not too creepy :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Diane, what a fabulous Halloween table...just happy I am not an arachnophobic! The pumpkin is awesome...I thought it was real.
    Have a great week...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the pumpkin "tattoos" and your napkin rings best - but there is so much to look at! Lots of fun and creepy crawly details!! Nice inspiration, a great interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do love Halloween. I love the spiders hanging down -- what a great effect! Love the Eek plates and the black and white plates. Such a bold, bright Halloween table. Joni

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this, Diane! It's both spooky & fun. The plates are so cute and the spiders hanging from the chandy are a super idea.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your Eek plates with the spiders, Diane. Love the colors of the table, very creative!...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love those napkin rings!

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful table! Love your spiders and the black and white checks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am envious of your black and white tablecloth. I love it! Your table certainly captures the season. Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fun tablescape!
    I vote for spider. I really do like spiders better than flies.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi lovely lady.
    I love all your great Ideas for Halloween sweet.
    Thanks so much for your sweet comments on my Tablescape. I hope you are having a wonderful week with your family.
    XXOO Diane

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your table is spooktacular. Love the black and white checks for the background.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, I love the Eek plates! How marvelously creepy! Your spider table is perfect, as is the poem that you included. My favorite was the spiders dangling from the chandelier! Love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ha ha, so much fun Diane, what an absolutely eerie creepy table! Your plates are adorable and I love the fun stuff on the faux pumpkin. Everything looks ready for a crawly icky sticky web of fun!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my goodness, this is so cute. Love the tablescape and all the scary spiders. How fun. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  27. Best spiders and EEKie creatures! The centerpiece with the spiders on the pumpkin is just creepy enough. A black and white checked tablecloth is a great background for all the orange. My favortie is all the spiders hanging from the chandelier. Have a Happy Halloween!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  28. I couldn't get in the comment form from your latest post! Here I am to tell you I just love it, specially those pumpkin bowls, they're so adorable! Your entire table is beautiful my friend. Have a fun Halloween.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete