Monday, October 7, 2013

Pumpkin Soup Bowls #2 and Poblano Corn Chowder


My daughter had a big birthday last week-end (Happy Birthday, Andrea!). Since I received so many sweet comments, about the pumpkin bowls that I featured in my last post, I thought I would show you how I used them for Andrea's birthday dinner.



I changed some things and kept some things on the table.  Obviously, I kept the soup bowls, but I placed them on Villeroy and Boch "Intarsia" salad plates.  I, also, used "Intarsia" bread plates and dinner plates, which I used on top of chargers with a harlequin design from One King's Lane. I kept the napkin rings and green Ralph Lauren napkins, but added the matching tablecloth.



I used the same pattern clear glass, but used the water goblet, instead of the wine glass.  I took away the green Fostoria glass and added Celebrity "Ebony" stemware. I continued to use Gorham "Strasbourg" flatware, but added individual butter paddles on the bread and butter plates and a dessert fork and spoon for birthday cake and homemade ice cream.  The ice cream was compliments of Andrea's Dad - my husband is an expert at creating homemade ice cream!!



I took away the pumpkin tureen that I used for the centerpiece in the previous post and added this black metal Mikasa candle holder.  It usually has five glass votive holders, but I liked the way the two small pumpkins looked on each end. I could not decide what color candles to use, so I put small cream colored  ones in tiny glass holders and set them in the larger glass ones. Then, I added amber glass fillers.  I, also,  used a few of the Fall leaves from the first table setting. 



A few of the ceramic pumpkins and gourds from the other table were used, as well.



This is how our birthday table looked, as compared to the table on the previous post:



Which one do you prefer?  Isn't it fun to use pieces in different ways? Well, I hope you enjoyed seeing a couple of different tables using the pumpkin bowls. I had fun mixing up things, but I cannot decide which table I like best.  However, I know what I served in the bowls is my favorite soup - Poblano Corn Chowder. The recipe was originally given to me by my friend, Jo.  You will find it at the end of this post.



Here is the "Wonder Woman" birthday girl - I will have to save that fun, family story for another post!!




Poblano Corn Chowder

½  cup chopped onion                                                        ½ cup granulated sugar
3    ribs celery, chopped                                                      1 tablespoon lobster base (optional)
½  cup plus 2 Tablespoons                                                  ½ cup flour
      butter, divided
1 poblano pepper, seeded and diced                               1 (15-oz.) can creamed corn          
1 quart heavy cream (you truly can                                  1 (15-oz.) can whole corn kernels, drained  
   substitute skim milk for this)                                             
1 quart half-and-half                                                           1 to 1 ½ pounds raw shrimp, diced
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
Pinch of ground chile de arbol (can                                   Salt and sugar to taste
 substitute cayenne pepper for this)

    Puree onion and celery in food processor.  Drain liquid.
    In large Dutch oven, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat.  When hot, add the puree and diced poblano pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until vegetables are soft but not brown, about 5 minutes.  Add cream (or skim milk), half-and-half, black pepper, chile de arbol, sugar and lobster base, if using.
    Bring to a boil (be careful, cream with rise quickly and overflow).
    Meanwhile, in a separate saucepan, melt remaining butter.  Add flour.  Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Continue to cook for several minutes.  Remove from heat.  Gradually add the mixture to the  chowder, whisking constantly, until thickened.  Simmer 3 to 4 minutes.  Add corn and shrimp.  Simmer  1 to 2 minutes, until shrimp is cooked and turns pink.  Season to taste with additional salt and sugar. Makes 8 servings.  However, with skim milk, the soup is much thinner and makes more, than 8 servings.

Hope you love this, as much as I do!!

Diane




 

Sharing at:









25 comments:

  1. Mmmmm, looks so yummy Diane! Belated happy birthday to Andrea! She's lovely! Both table setting is perfect I think, and the menu seems equally splendid! I'm sure everyone had a great time and a full belly in the end! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful table setting with the adorable pumkins soup bowls! Although I love both settings, I like the one in the first potos caz I love the dinner plates! Happy birthday to your sweet daughter and many blessings!
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  3. .....I love the dinner plates, salad ones and the fabulous check black and White chargers...I mean!
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the beautiful birthday spread--looks like it made your daughter so happy! Don't know which one I prefer, although I love the embossed pattern in your pumpkin tureens. Thanks for stopping by my blog, Sunday View and leaving a comment on my paper pumpkin. Would love to have you join the blog party any time. I just became a follower and would love for you to follow me back!

    Best,

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diane, I love all your tables but this is my new FAVE. And the soup. I want a bowl right now!! Looking forward to the next post about the dinner. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday to your beautiful daughter! At first I thought it was you, but then I don't think I've seen a photo of you! lol xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awesome! Happy B'day to your daughter.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Hope to see you on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Diane, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Diane, Happy birthday to Andrea! What a beautiful tablescape. In fact I would call it stunning. I love everything about it. Have a beautiful day... Candy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday Andrea.. Diane, both of your tables are wonderful but I do like Andrea's best...and WOW that soup looks yummy..
    Love,Mona

    ReplyDelete
  11. How can you ask me to choose? They are both beautiful and I would love to sit down at either.

    We are having a dinner party this weekend, but I don't have room at our small table to go big on the table setting. You inspire me to get creative.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday to beautiful Andrea!! I know she loved her wonderful meal you and your hubby served. Both tables are so pretty, Diane, and I just can't choose a favorite. The chowder sounds super delicious and wish I could sample some right now. xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both tables are gorgeous...such a different look this week with the black.
    Happy Birthday to your daughter.
    Have a wonderful week...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Diane, It looks like we both have birthday girls in the family! It's amazing how different the table looks with just a few changes. Both are wonderful! Happy birthday to your daughter. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  15. My favorite kind of table is the one that allows a few changes for a whole new look.. I'm totally in soup mode with the change in weather and yours has the kind of flavor I like.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love those lidded pumpkin bowls!!!

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  17. A gorgeous and yummy table at the same time. Love the pumpkin soups especially.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love hose dishes, happy birthday to your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful table, and I love the centerpiece. I like both tables!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Diane, I love your mini pumpkin tureens paired with the harlequin chargers and your V&B plates! Your chowder sounds delicious! Happy Birthday wishes to the birthday girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a festive table! Love the plates with the pumpkins added. HB to Andrea, my sister is an Andrea too. Patricia, Maureen, Kathleen and ANDREA. What was my mom thinking, LOL. It was supposed to be Gail, but the church wouldn't allow it, had to be a saint. Today they name the kids after cold remedies, LOL! Hello Mucinex.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy birthday Andrea! Your mom created a very special table because you are very special to her. This is fabulous, Diane, so lively. I like the centerpiece too and I love your Villeroy & Boch. I love their plates but I don't see them in outlet stores anymore, which is the only place where I can afford them....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy Birthday to Andrea! She is a beautiful young woman!
    I like both tables. They each have their own personality. The Villeroy and Boch design is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the Poblano too! Thanks for visiting me and for liking my new lamp my friend. The chairs you like are vintage Dutch and they have claw feet as well. Have a lovely week.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello Maam Diane,
    Oh! the pumpkin bowls and tureen? How I wish, I could own this treasure one day. Too hard to find in Sweden as they are not celebrating Haloween.

    What I do here is to drool all my American friends tables.

    Happy week, Maam and to your lovelies.

    Hugs from D´Box,
    /CC girl

    ReplyDelete