Tuesday, October 15, 2013

White and Purple


It is time, again, for a challenge from Kathleen of Cuisine Kathleen!  She has asked us to set another white table with just one additional color.  For this challenge, I chose white and purple.



The inspiration for the color came from my Fostoria "Fascination" water goblets in the lilac color,  These glasses were made from 1958 through 1974 and, also, came in clear and ruby. The other crystal piece is a footed iced tea glass made by Galway in the "Longford" pattern.




Fortunately, I had recently purchased Laurie Gates purple flatware from Horchow on sale.



For the plate stack, I used white chargers from Maryland China, Lenox "Opal Innocence Carved" dinner plates and large "Coventry" salad plates by J. C. Penney from Replacements.




White on white embroidered napkins were set on the plates with pearl napkin rings -


with a sprig of purple and lavender tucked inside.




Faux pearls were added to the centerpiece, as well.  This glass, bronze and marble compote was recently purchased at an estate sale.  I fell in love with it. Afterwards, I saw another like it on eBay and thought that I would enjoy having a pair of them.  However, the one on eBay was twice as much, as I paid for this one.  I decided that one was enough for now!




Lavender ceramic birds hopped around among the acrylic scatters on the table.




For dessert, I made a recipe that I found on Kitty's Kozy Kitchen, which you can find HERE. Kitty calls it a Heath Bar Cake Roll and she wrote that the frosting is the best frosting ever.  She was right - it is so delicious and it actually has flour in it!  I have been baking, since I was in the 4th grade and I have never seen a frosting recipe with flour in it.  That was one of the reasons that I wanted to try out the recipe.  Wow - it was certainly worth the trouble. It is delicious!!  I cut my cake in half, so that I could freeze part of it, but it is beautiful left in the original shape.  I hope Kathleen will forgive the brown Heath Bar pieces on the top - the rest of the cake is all white!




I wish that I could have shot this post on a day, when it was not raining - oh, well!  I still enjoyed the challenge of another white table.  Kathleen's challenges are always so much fun - cannot wait, until the next one!!


Diane




Sharing at:

Cuisine Kathleen for Let's Dish

Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Thursday

The Tablescaper for Seasonal Sundays

 



33 comments:

  1. Your table is stunning and elegant, Diane. The cake looks so delicious. I love your plate charger...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your table is stunning and elegant, Diane. The cake looks so delicious. I love your plate charger...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  3. The white dishes . . . the amethyst flatware . . . the lovely linens . . . and a yummy dessert too . . . PERFECT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diane, your table is soooo romantic. I'm in love with the compote as your centerpiece. It looks so pretty all draped in pearls. The purple flatware is a perfect accent color with your goblets. I love your layers of white dishes. Great job on the challenge! Now, I'll be over soon for a slice of cake. Thank you for the shout out, my friend! The frosting is wonderful on red velvet cake, too. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE IT! Especially the flatware. Kitty does have some fabulous recipes doesn't she!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very awesome table Diane...I love your chargers and the rest of the stacked dishes, simply lovely. Purple is such a pretty color to add to White, so elegant and inviting. Your centerpiece compote is beautiful! You met the challenge to perfection! Love a piece o cake too!
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  7. Diane, your table is gorgeous, and that dessert looks so luscious! Wish I had a piece right now. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really pretty! Love the purple and those birds are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now how did you know my favorite colour was purple, must be the "Diane" sisterhood kicking in again! ha Your tablesetting is so very elegant and flows beautiful together. Wonderfully done. Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the touch of pearls Diane! Such a dainty table! That cake roll looks really yum, I'm pinning so I can try it out one day! thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your purple and white -- and you even have purple flatware! You were so smart to choose those gorgeous purple glasses when you married. I have very little purple, but I do love it. The plate stack is also wonderful -- great textures!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful..Diane... I love your new compote..so romantic..
    You always set such lovely tables..and your choices always go together perfectly..so pretty..
    Love, Mona

    ReplyDelete
  13. That dessert looks divine! I love the addition of purple with the white. I have no purple in my collection!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How elegant to create this challenge tablescape with your white china. The just speaks to me of timelessness for the pearls are so perfect in the bowl centerpiece and napkin rings. Your lavender goblets are wonderful accent color with the touch of the tiny bouquet. Have a lovely fall week!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful! I just love purple and your table is so elegant and pretty. Have to check out Kitty's Heath cake recipe. It looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great minds think alike! Beautiful table, Diane. Gorgeous compote...sorry the other one was more than you were willing to pay...I know how that goes.
    That is the best frosting, I have been making it for 40+ years, it is what I always frost red velvet cakes with, thanks to my cake decorating sister-in-law!
    Have a great week...

    ReplyDelete
  17. OHH! Very Elegant!! So beautiful. I love those white on white embroidered napkins - they go so well with the pearl napkin rings. Too pretty to use! - I would be sure to swipe those all away before anyone sits down and hand them a nice paper napkin!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Diane...this table is...demure...I love it. I love that the purple is a barely there purple, and the pieces that are purple are beautiful. Your dishes are wonderful. Too bad about the eBay compote. Funny how we find one at a bargain price then we're not willing to budge on the 2nd one--I do that too. I came looking for your post this evening. :) I need to get busy on a table; I've been doing other decorating things, but the table is calling me. ~Zuni

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your table is a beautiful jewel! The dishes are so elegant and your compote is a wonderful statement piece! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Diane
    WOW describes your table and the cake! Love the purple!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So lovely...I love those pearls. That flatware is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very pretty Diane, love the pearls in the compote but I couldn't take my eyes off of the heath bar cake roll!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the purple & white. It is very elegant table! I love your chargers and flatware along with your compote & pearls. Just Beautiful!
    I hate when I want something and they charge so much.....it just wasn't meant to be. If it is, you will find it for the right price! Be patient my friend and thanks for stopping by.
    Blessings to you,

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your tablescape. Purple is perfect with all the white. The pearls are also very pretty. And even the cake is white! That's so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh wow, this is a beautiful table Diane. Love love your white chargers and white dishes. Purple is a great choice but for me, I don't have much in purple. I do have that same flatware but wish I had the purple goblets. Great looking table.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ilove the purple! Wonderful flatware ~ Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  27. What great photos of your pretty tablescape. Love your stemware and flatware. Pearls add that special touch.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm so glad that you added the amethyst for your color. I was tempted to use it for my challenge, but ended up going in another direction. Your table is beautiful, and I love the textures in the plates. Isn't Maryland China Company the greatest! Thanks for inviting us for a peak. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your table is gorgeous! I love the lilac with the white...so pretty! I have the Opal Innocence set too and love them as well. Aren't they versatile?! And that centerpiece? GORGEOUS! I love everything about it from the marble base to the crystals to the cut bowl. I found a similar one, however it had an oval shaped bowl at the top. It was a gift for my mother and she has it on her table too. Each time I see it, it just makes me smile!
    I hope you have a wonderful weekend...thanks for dropping by!
    Sharlotte

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful! Your accent color choice is stunning and love your chargers and napkins, especially. Your napkin rings with the "sprig of pearl and lavender" puts the picture over the top. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Diane, this is lovely! The pearls add a touch of bling! Love all the different elements. Thank you for taking he challenge, you met it head on!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love purple and white. The beautiful embossed textures of the plates, the gorgeous wine glasses, and the pearl napkin rings look stunning. You did a marvelous job of meeting the challenge.....Candy

    ReplyDelete
  33. So lovely!

    You're always welcome at Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete