Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Legend of the Poinsettia



A charming story is told of Pepita, a poor Mexican girl who had no gift to present the Christ Child at Christmas Eve Services. As Pepita walked slowly to the chapel with her cousin Pedro, her heart was filled with sadness rather than joy.  "I am sure, Pepita, that even the most humble gift, if given in love will be acceptable in His eyes," said Pedro consolingly.



Not knowing what else to do, Pepita knelt by the roadside and gathered a handful of common weeds, fashioning them into a small bouquet.  Looking at the scraggly bunch of weeds, she felt more saddened and embarrassed than ever by the humbleness of her offering.  She fought back a tear as she entered the small village chapel.



As she approached the alter, she remembered Pedro's kind words: "Even the most humble gift, if given in love, will be acceptable in His eyes." She felt her spirit lift as she knelt to lay the bouquet at the foot of the nativity scene.



Suddenly, the bouquet of weeds burst into blooms of brilliant red, and all who saw them were certain that they had witnessed a Christmas miracle right before their eyes.



From that day on, the bright red flowers were known as the Flores de Noche Buena, or Flowers of the Holy Night, for they bloomed each year during the Christmas season.



What will be your gift this Christmas season?  Will you give with all your heart, like Pepita? Even the most humble gift given in love is acceptable - remember that, when you see a Poinsettia this season...


Diane



 Thanks to annien.com for the story of the Legend of the Poinsettia


Sharing at:










 

17 comments:

  1. What a great story Diane! never knew that about this humble holiday flower!!! Your table is truly worthy of these magnificent plant. Simply Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew the story of the poinsettia.

    Ventura, where we live is known as "The Poinsettia City". There is a Poinsettia School, the womens' center is called Poinsettia Pavilion. The school district's logo has a poinsettia on it. And so, I a surprised that I never have heard the story.

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diane,
    I never knew that story...so glad you wrote about the poinsettia....I love your researcher mind.. pretty table too..
    Love, Mona

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never knew the story of the poinsettia, Diane. Thank you for sharing about it with us and reminding us the meaning of giving a humble gift. Your table is so pretty! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful post...thank you for sharing such a lovely legend. Your table is perfect. Have a wonderful holiday. Rosie @ The Magic Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful table you have set in.Love the napkin a lot along with the pretty red flower.cute little story about the flower.Hope you are having a lovely season...:)Lot of love and hugs Sujatha..:):)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely table, and I enjoyed reading about the Legend of the Poinsettia. So sweet! Carol sent me over to read this post (from Art & Sand).

    Merry Christmas!

    xo,
    RJ

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I am so glad you shared the story of the poinsettia for I hadn't heard it. The poinsettia centerpiece is perfect with the story and tablescape. I love the poinsettia place mats for they are beautiful. Have a great week!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  9. Diane, your table is so pretty. I love your china...it's gorgeous...and so perfect with the red goblets and the poinsettias. I like the way you built your post around the poinsettia story...I seem to remember there was a story, but I had forgotten all about it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful story to go along with your beautiful table!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful story and I love the poinsettia!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for sharing the beautiful story of this lovely flower, simply amazing, I never heard of it! You sure honored the lovely flowers by setting a gorgeous table for C'mas to go along with it! Merry C'mas!
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a stunning table, Diane & I had never heard the legend of the poinsettia! I must remember to share that with Ms. C.
    I love your red stemware and those silk botanical napkin rings. VERY pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, that chiffon napkin is beautiful. Great to have you at Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a neat story, Diane! I love to read stuff like this at Christmas time! Our very sweet neighbor just gave us a beautiful poinsettia, and I'll have to relay the story to her. Thank you!!!

    I hope all is going well with you this holiday season!!!! Decorate on, sister! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for sharing the legend Diane, I have never heard that before or taken the time to even think about why poinsettias are part of Christmas. I certainly will never forget this beautiful story or the meaning behind it~Happy Holidays to you!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete