Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Seventeeth o'March


"Oh, the music in the air!
An the joy that's ivrywhere -
Shure, the whole blue vault of heaven is wan grand triumphal arch,
An the earth below is gay 
Wid its tender green th'-day,
Fur the whole world is Irish on the Seventeenth o'March!"

Thomas Augustin Daly



What a happy occasion to be Irish for a day! Thanks to Kathleen of "Cuisine Kathleen" and her St. Patrick's Day Blog Crawl, we all can be Irish.  Acutally, I am part Irish, but my ancestors were from the wrong part of the Ireland.  Sorry, Kathleen!!




However, I have visited the proper end of Ireland.  Here is my favorite photo of that trip.  I cannot resist using it in most of my St. Patrick blogs.  It is a perfect example of how many shades of green there are in Ireland.  This photo was taken on the Dingle Peninsula - what a magnificent drive that was!



This year for my table, I brought out my Belleek "Shamrock" plates, again. I had recently purchased two additional ones, so I moved the festivities into the dining room. I was so excited, until I realized that I had only two sets of Shamrock place mats with four matching ones in each set. I would not be deterred, so I used four of one set with two of the other design. I placed one of those at each end of the table.



Mikasa "Ming Green" dinner plates hold the Belleek salad plates and the flatware is "Strasbourg" by Gorham.



 The stemware is a mixture of "Andover" by Fostoria with the gold encrusted rims and "Killarney" by Tiffin.



The centerpiece is a collection of Waterford crystal pieces, along with a darling Irish lad and lassie.




The Celtic Cross and the Seahorse (the symbol of Waterford) were both purchased at the old Waterford factory store in Waterford, Ireland.  I was so excited, when my husband and I finally arrived there. Well, I was excited for a couple of reasons.  The first reason was that this was my husband's first experience driving on the "wrong" side of the road and I was excited to have arrived in Waterford alive! It was not that my husband's driving was bad, but the streets were so narrow in the small towns along the way that I thought we would hit every car parked on the side of road!  The second reason that I was excited is pretty obvious - I would be able to shop at the famous Waterford store!


When you think of Ireland, what images come to mind - Irish crystal, Belleek china, Shamrocks, Leprechauns, gold coins? After having the fun of visiting there, I think of how green it is, even in the Fall,  However, what I really remember are how kind and welcoming the Irish people were. 


 I, also, remember the sweet smiles and pink cheeks of the children. It truly is a beautiful country with beautiful people.  As they say, "If you are lucky enough to be Irish, you are lucky enough!"  Kathleen, I am sure you feel this way. Thanks for encouraging us to be lucky for a day, too!!


Diane





Sharing at:






28 comments:

  1. Your table is beautiful Diane. Love your perfect mix of china and am somewhat jealous of your Belleek. :)

    Also love the gorgeous photo and your trip to Waterford story is fab!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Diane, those placemats are gorgeous -- and so perfect for this table! We will all be coveting your beautiful Belleek Shamrock plates -- stunning! And I love your pretty centerpiece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Diane, your table is perfect for St. Patrick's Day. And what a breathtaking view of Ireland. I have not been there so thanks for sharing it. I have a friend who has a home there who has been inviting us to come....maybe someday...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your table and your story of your trip to Ireland. Your belleek plates are so beautiful! What a treat that you were able to go to Waterford ..it's on my bucket list!
    Miss Bloomers

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew your table would make my Irish ❤️ swoon, Diane! How lucky to have Beleek plates and the beautiful pieces of Waterford. You did an outstanding job of coordinating all your accessories. Your table is beautiful! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was going to wait until Kathleen's party but I will go ahead now and tell you how pretty your table is! Love the Beleek dishes and of course the Waterford Crystal! Gosh I love that green stemware- I need some of those!! The gold coins and hat are adorable on the plates and the Irish lad and lassie are so sweet! How wonderful that you got to go to Ireland and see it's beauty and do some shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely St. Patrick's Day table. We are going to a St. Pat's party so I won't be setting our table in green. I am celebrating 3.14 Pi Day so I am going with a math themed table on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Diane,
    Your table looks ever so festive. Love all the green and everything Irish.
    All your waterford crystal is gorgeous, especially love the green goblets.
    Your lil Leprachans are so cute too, and love all the nice touches.
    So are you making a Irish dinner to go with this??

    My dad was Irish and took it very seriously. Have no idea from where in Ireland.....never thought to ask! lol
    My visit to Ireland was only to stop at Shannon Airport on the way home
    from Germany. But the view out the windows were amazing, their grass
    was incredibly green and rich looking, in fact, don't think I have ever seen grass that pretty since.

    I sometimes make Irish Calcannon for St. Patrick's day, especially when my daughter was still home, cause she loves corn beef hash, and when I
    found the recipe for Irish Calcannon, she liked it even better. I am hoping to find some time to post the recipe this week, cause it really is good,
    and simple to make.

    Have a loverly day spreading the luck of the Irish! lol
    Blessings, Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your saint Patrick's Day table. The picture you took in Ireland is absolutely wonderful, like a postcard. My last trip to Ireland was the one that convince me to settle in Brittany, because the landscape is rather similar.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, dear Diane, you are most definitely on the right side of tablescaping! Beautiful table. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous, Diane! When I think of your tables, the words refined and elegant seem to fit them perfectly..and this one does not disappoint...so beautifully put together..You have such refined beauty...and it shows in your tables...
    Love, Mona

    ReplyDelete
  12. So gorgeous Diane, all that beautiful crystal~ love the photo of Ireland~
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Diane, this table is exquisite. Your Belleek china plates are just so lovely, and you've coordinated everything so well. Your placemats and Waterford have me swooning. I've never been to Ireland, so thank you for the beautiful picture. You're so right about the many shades of green! Happy St. Patick's Day! Rosie @ The Magic Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh My, this is beautiful...the dishes the crystal and wonderful to hear about your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am part Irish and appreciate your thoughts on Ireland! I have not been to Ireland to the Waterford factory but I have today been to the Waterford/Wedgwood outlet store today! Your beautiful centerpiece of Waterford crystal says all things good come from Ireland! I'm so glad you have 2 new Belleck plates for your dining table is beautiful with the addition. Have a great March 17th!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  16. I so enjoyed your story about your trip to Ireland!! I might have to put this on my bucket list now, I just have to remember not to let my husband drive!! Your table is beautiful, love the Belleek!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful table with the Belleck, the Waterford crystal, and all your pretty green details. Happy St. Pat's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have but a few pieces of Beleek...wedding gifts that I've cherished all these years. Using the Waterford pieces as your centerpiece is a brilliant idea...literally and figuratively. I would love to visit Ireland one day. I didn't even know that there was a wrong end. My paternal grandmother was a Brandon, and they hailed from the Isle of Brandon. We're all pretty much potato famine Irish. Thanks for inviting us for a peek. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a lovely, elegant table...Love those plates!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my goodness, your table is so beautiful with all the Waterford crystal in the centerpiece, Diane. Love the Shamrock plates.
    Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a pretty and festive table. The pic you took in Ireland is breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Diane,
    Gorgeous Saint Patrick's Tablescape, dear one!!!
    The Waterford crystal relects the light radiantly
    throughout your place settings!
    I adore your Celtic Cross!!!
    I've not been to Ireland, but my heritage is 1/2 Irish.
    Thanks for your sweet comment and recent visit!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh how pretty Diane. Those cutwork placemats are gorgeous, and I think the addition of the two round placemats makes the table more interesting. Balleek is always beautiful. Those green Mikasa plates are beautiful too. The Waterford is a gorgeous centerpiece, and your little Irish children are so precious. Happy St. Patrick's Day to you. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  24. You are right, Diane, lucky indeed! :) Love your pretty table, Belleek makes my heart sing! Everything just sparkles! I have a dozen loaves of Soda Bread in the oven, and I made a corned beef early to I could make some hash. I bought myself a Balleek casserole dish last year on St. Pat's Day, so I am anxious to use it, and of course, show it to you!
    Thanks so much for taking part in the 6th annual St. Pat's Bog Crawl! Slainte'!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your photo of Ireland. I can see why you love it so.
    You look all set for St. Patrick's Day. Your table is just lovely and ready for company.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  26. So many beautiful elements on your table, Diane! Your centerpiece is lovely and so appropriate. The darling lad and lassie are precious and I love how you wove the Shamrock garland around the waterford pieces. The Celtic cross is exquisite. How special you were able to visit Ireland and the Waterford factory. I am dreaming of a trip there. Your china, crystal and linens all work so nicely for your theme and are beautiful patterns. Cute irish hats and coins on the plates.

    You have the gift of tablescaping and write so well.

    Thank you for your very kind comment. Happy St. Patrick's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Diane, this is just a spectacular St. Patrick's Day table....I adore what you've done with all your special "Irish" pieces. I'm especially in love with your centerpiece & the way you combined so many beautiful items.

    We, too, visited Ireland a few years ago & DH drove STICK SHIFT on the wrong side of the road. I held my breath many a time...those narrow roads with STONE fences scared me.
    You brought back some wonderful memories for me. Someday I'll go back, I hope.

    Hugs,
    Rett

    ReplyDelete
  28. How pretty! Love how you paired the beautiful Belleek plates with the "Ming" green:) and the Waterford crystal horse and Celtic Horse is simply gorgeous and beautifully showcased at your elegant table! Everything is so sparkling, shiny and green...loving all your Irish pieces and how lovingly they are incorporated at your table. Stunning picture of Ireland! Thanks for sharing with us~hugs, Poppy

    ReplyDelete