Sunday, April 6, 2014

Birds, Nests and Eggs - Oh My!!


Once, again, Kathleen of Cuisine Kathleen has issued a challenge. For this link-up, Kathleen has requested that we set a table using Birds, Nests or Eggs.  My question to myself was, "Why stop at one?", so I used all of them!







I found these adorable bird salad plates at Tuesday Morning.  They had only three designs, but these were originally part of a set of  plates featuring reproductions of John James Audubon's birds of America. They  were created by I. Godinger for the National Audubon Society. Actually, they are identified as "dessert plates", even though I will use them for salads - wouldn't you love to have the entire set??

I know that black dinner plates seem strange for Spring, but each salad plate had black in the design and I liked the way they popped on the dark color.  I shot this post on a very cloudy day and shooting in my dining room is always a challenge, so the photos are not as well lit, as I would have liked! I simply must get my friend, Mona, of The Hidden Art of Homemaking to help me pick out a new camera and teach me how to use it!!  If you would like to see her beautiful photographs, you can visit her blog HERE.


 


I do love birds, so I already owned this beautiful "bird" box that I use in my family room to conceal television remote controllers. I thought it would be a fun centerpiece on this table.




Other birds in white and green found their way to the table.  Who doesn't love birds, when you see them - real or faux???



For the nests, I used individual nests that I purchased at Jo-Ann's and added a bit of moss to them. I looked everywhere for tiny eggs, but could not find any, so I resorted to candy ones.  Win/win for me - I had plenty left over for the edible nests that I make at Easter. I, also, used a larger nest with eggs on the table, but I did not get one acceptable photo of that - sigh!






I was excited, when I started putting this post together, because I quickly realized that my Fostoria topaz "Versailles" water goblets would be perfect additions to the place settings.  I love this crystal and, if you have read my blog previously, you know I have a "slight" obsession with Fostoria products.  The topaz-colored "Versailles" pattern is really interesting.  The "Versailles" etching was used on several different colored blanks (rose, blue, green and topaz).  All of the blanks had the #5098 stem, except for the topaz one.  They used the #5099 stem for it.  I have no idea why, since all of the "Versailles" pieces were made around the same time - mainly 1928-43. Here is where it gets interesting, though.  The same #5099 stem was used on the topaz "Trojan" etching and the rose "Trojan", too.  This is probably too much information for most of you, but it is so fascinating to me!  Who made these decisions and why?  I do love a good mystery!!



This is a photograph of the "Trojan" etching. I own a couple of these water goblets and use them with "Versailles", when I am hosting a meal for ten people.




I decided to use my very Spring-like, sterling flatware pattern, "Bridal Flower" by Watson.  This pattern was made in 1910 and created by Joseph E. Straker, Jr., just at the end of the Art Nouveau period. The details on these pieces are incredible!



Now that Spring has finally arrived (the dogwoods and azaleas are blooming!!), this table is not just a dream! Birds are everywhere chirping and singing outside and it feels wonderful to hear them so happy.  If Spring has not arrived where you are, I would like to assure you that it is coming and you are in for a treat!!


Diane




Sharing at:


A Stroll Thru Life for Inspire Me Tuesday

Cuisine Kathleen for Let's Dish

Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Thursday

The Tablescaper for Seasonal Sundays
















27 comments:

  1. I love your beautiful Bird salad plates Diane - their good enough to hang on the wall too! so pretty! You made a pretty easter/spring table setting. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bird plates on the black just reLly pop, Diane. I love your stemware and the sterling flatware... sigh!! Your pretty remote control box is simply stunning as the centerpiece. Ooh how I would love to rummage through your cupboards!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your stemware is gorgeous! The bird plates are so pretty and unique. They do pop with the black.

    Have to finish my table so I can join in. I have birds, nests and eggs too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous post on the birds. eggs, and nests! The bird plates are the perfect way to set the theme. Your yellow crystal goblets are exquisite. Your photos are lovely. Have a beautiful week with all the blossoms and birds!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous, your china and crystal are fabulous. Beautiful tablescape. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely gorgeous and chic with the black.

    We don't do much for Easter since it is usually just the two of us, but I am going to copy your idea and head over to Jo Ann's to find some little nests for my Easter table.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty tablescape and great idea to use the beautiful bird box. Two weeks ago, I used the same bird dishes on my blog. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just beautiful! Those plates are lovely- I hope you can find the rest of the patterns. I like the black because as you said it pops the colors of the plates off them nicely. The used of the black (remote) box was a great idea- I have one too with birds- never thought of it!! I do adore your Fostoria stemware. I love that Trojen etching design. The birds nest and birds accessorized the table perfectly! Too tweet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful, Diane! The bird plates have such wonderful coloring and do look great on black.. Love your centerpiece, is it wood or metal?
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Exquisitely beautiful. I am in love with the Fostoria stemware, it is truly beautiful. Bravo for a challenge well met.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those water goblets are so beautiful. The bird plates are so nice. How fun to be able to use that bird box as centerpiece...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful pieces you have! Beautiful table.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely! I really had a hard time deciding what color to use. There were 2 other patterns in my dozen, so I just used the pink tonight. Black is a great idea, love what you did with it. The flatware is beautiful as well as the goblets.
    Thanks so much for taking part in the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your plates are so pretty, Diane, but my favorite here are the yellow glasses, so pretty!....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  15. Diane, Your table is beautiful. I've always heard every room should have a touch of black and you have proved a tablescape does well with it also. Your bird plates are very special. I share your love of Fostoria crystal. I enjoyed your explanation about the Versailles pattern ...very interesting. Your beautiful bird box is exquisite. Much too nice for remotes! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Diane! I do like those beautiful plates and I think the black under plate gives them such elegance! Your information about the stems is so interesting. I too would love to know who gets to decide about these things! The beautiful bird box is a great idea for concealing remotes and makes a great centerpiece, too. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, Diane, for stopping by All the Pretty Dishes and leaving me your great suggestion to layer a plain place mat on top of my teacup tablecloth. I think that sounds like a great idea,
    Randee

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think black is a great neutral to use at all times of the year, Spring included. It makes the rest of the colors pop...like in a gallery. It's a very bold and cool choice, and they look terrific as the backdrop to your Audubon plates...which are gorgeous, by the way!

    Your obsession with the Fostoria is understandable. We all agree on that one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The Audubon plates are new to me and happy to know about them. Lovely designs, and they look good on black. Pretty table with all that gorgeous crystal as an accent.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very attractive, and the salad plates are perfect for the theme. Love that stemware!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I enjoyed reading about the history of your gorgeous goblets!! I have very little knowledge of "the good stuff" because we never had any! You also have about the prettiest remote control box I have ever seen!! Your table sooks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, what a stunning table! The bird box makes the perfect centerpiece, and the black elements really make the pretty greens and bird plates pop! Your crystal is beautiful -- I love everything Fostoria! My mom's crystal is Navarre.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautifully done, the plates are gorge, and look fab against the green!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, Diane, you really have outdone yourself! Everything looks so pretty. And your choice of black was perfect with your new beautiful Audubon plates. I am absolutely drooling over your Fostoria stemware and flatware! This is really a stunning tablescape and truly honors Kathleen's challenge! Rosie @ The Magic Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  25. New follower here! Found you at the Tablescaper link party. LOVE your table setting. So beautiful and festive! Definitely captured the theme!! Happy Spring! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have these plates too but have yet to use them. Great table. Thanks for being a part of Seasonal Sundays.

    - Alma, The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete