Monday, May 12, 2014

Lenox Solitaire - Eight Different Looks!


When I started planning a post for the newest challenge (wedding china) from Kathleen of Cuisine Kathleen, I pulled out all of my wedding china, crystal and flatware. I thought I might do two tables using my "fine" china on one and my "everyday" china on the other. However, I started looking on Pinterest for some fresh ideas for using Lenox "Solitaire" and could not find a single table set with it! Perhaps those tables are on Pinterest, but they did not appear in my search. I put away my Royal Doulton "Samarra", which was the pattern I chose as my everyday china so many years ago and went to work trying to create interesting place settings with "Solitaire". I decided to use a "Solitaire" dinner plate in each for continuity.



These are the ones that I decided to use.  For the rest of the post, I will show you the place settings and let you know what pieces I used. I am listing everything that I used and where I found the pieces. I decided to itemize everything to show that you can find tableware in so many different places and mix them all together!  Oh, what fun I had with this creating these place settings!! I just ran out of time to photograph them exactly as I wanted. We had some rainy days here, before I ran off to the beach on vacation!!



For this place setting, I used all of my fine wedding tableware:

Lenox "Solitaire" dinner plate, all purpose bowl and covered vegetable without the lid for a centerpiece
Tiffin "Argenta" iced beverage glass
Gorham "Strasbourg" sterling flatware

To these pieces, I added:

Villeroy and Boch "Intarsia" accent salad plate
Celebrity "Ebony" water goblet
Arthur's Court "Grape" napkin ring from Goodwill with black napkin from Dillard's
"Zebra" placemat from Old Time Pottery




Pink was the color that I chose for the next place setting: I have never been a "pink" person, but the older I get, the better I like it.  I once had a very fashionable older lady (I was young back then) to tell me that pink is an old lady's friend!! That story always make me laugh, when I think of it, but when I put on something pink now, I am beginning to understand what she meant!!

Lenox "Solitaire" dinner and bread & butter plate
Maxwell and & Williams pink "Paint" charger
Anchor Hocking pink "Block Optic" salad plate
Fostoria rose "5098/5298" water goblet and champagne/high sherbet
Carlo Moretti (I think!) tall pink water goblet
Whiting "Imperial Queen" sterling flatware 
Pink placemat from Big Lots
Raymond Waites Studio napkin from T J Maxx
Pink polka dot napkin ring from Florida Linen - Panama City, Florida



This place setting is the most casual one.  I set it for a breakfast meal.  Despite Solitaire's formality, it is plain and timeless and looks good with almost anything: It can be dressed up or down - it is like a "little black dress" for the table!

Lenox "Solitaire" dinner plate
Rattan charger from World Market
Home Essentials and Beyond "Curls Collection" salad plate from Old Time Pottery
Waechtersbach "Fun Factory" orange coffee mug
Old Amsterdam Porcelain Works creamer & covered sugar bowl from Rose Cottage - Pine Mountain, Georgia
"Citrus" juice tumbler from Pier I
Villeroy and Boch "Donau" white wine goblet
Bamboo flatware from Steinmart
Placemat and napkin from Old Time Pottery
"Grand Gems" napkin ring from Pier I



The next setting the the most formal.  I love mixing gold and silver together, especially, in my jewelry. Konstantino and David Yuman's gold and silver pieces are my very favorites, so I thought I would translate that jewelry into a table setting: You can use almost anything as an inspiration for setting a table!!

Lenox "Solitaire" dinner plate and bread & butter plate
Syracuse "Wayne" small dinner plate and cup & saucer
Gold "Baroque" charger from Old Time Pottery
Pickard "Rose and Daisy" gold creamer & covered sugar bowl
"Jamestown" sterling goblet by Reed and Barton
Circleware "Maxim" water goblet with gold trim
"French Renaissance" sterling flatware by Reed and Barton
Brown Ivy Hill Home placemat from Dillard's
Gold and silver organza napkins from Florida Linen - Panama City, Florida
Gold and silver napkin ring from Dillard's



I could not use several looks without incorporating everyone's favorite blue and white china! "Solitaire" is perfect with those patterns:

Lenox "Solitaire" dinner plate, cup & saucer, coffee pot, creamer & covered sugar bowl
Cobalt charger from Horchow
Johnson Brothers "Asiatic Pheasant" salad plate
Libbey cobalt water goblet from Dollar Tree
Artland "Williamsburg" cobalt shrub glass to hold the flowers
My Grandmother's Oneida "Jasmine" silverplate
Home Collection blue and ivory placemat from Dollar Tree
Sferra "Herald" blue napkin
Blue and white napkin ring - in my collection forever!!




Do you like purple?  I have a friend whom we used to call "The Purple Queen".  She has the most beautiful house you have ever seen (really!) and at Christmas, she uses purple, fuchsia, and teal as her main colors. It is gorgeous!! This one is for you, Carol:

Lenox "Solitaire" dinner plate and salad plate
Pryex "Festiva" purple glass luncheon plate
Andrea by Sadek "Buckingham" salad plate
Fostoria "Holly" water goblet
Fostoria "Fascination" lavender water goblet
Laurie Gates purple "Sizzle" flatware from Horchow
Lavender ceramic bird - Timeless Settings (timeless-settings.com)
Newbridge "Happy Days" lavender gingham placemat
Sferra "Dusty" lilac napkin
Honeycomb & bee napkin ring from One Kings Lane



Who doesn't love the beach? Take "Solitaire" along and create a elegant, but casual table setting. I love the blue and brown in this one:

Lenox "Solitaire" dinner plate and cup & saucer
"Whitaker" aqua salad plate by Paula Deen
Mo-Mo Panche "Beach House" goblet
Towle "Diane" sterling flatware
George Shreve mother-of-pearl knife with silverplate blade and sterling ferrule
"Coral Beach" placemat by Karen Lee Ballard (they have a finish that can be wiped clean - very casual!)
Napkin and shell napkin ring from Florida Linen - Panama City, Florida



For the last place setting, I knew that I wanted to use red with "Solitaire". I think red with the platinum trim on the "Solitaire" pieces is just beautiful and "Solitaire" looks great on the table for all of the red holidays! 

Lenox "Solitaire" dinner plate
Bordallo Pinheiro "Cabbage" charger
Maxwell and Williams red "Paint" salad plate
Royal Doulton "Samarra" bread & butter plate (O.K., I could not help myself.  I really, really wanted to show you my other wedding china pattern!!!!)
Fostoria "Spartan" green water goblet and champagne/high sherbet
Fostoria red "Westchester" water goblet
Watson "Bridal Flower" sterling flatware
Silverplate creamer by Two's Company for the flowers
Sferra green "Momento" napkin (hard to see in the photos, but it is there!)
Noble Excellence "Julia" reversible (reverses to plaid) placemat
 
Well, I have shown you all eight different place settings.  This might be the longest post that I have ever written, but I wanted to emphasize how easy it is to use "Solitaire" with so many other china patterns.  I am guilty of overlooking it, when I am choosing something new for a tablescape.  I have 20 place settings of this pattern and I really should use it more often. I still am happy, though, when I walk through my dining room and see it in my china cabinets. I am thrilled that I selected a pattern that is this timeless - I have never tired of it and I can use it for almost any occasion. I have moved many times, especially, in the early years of my marriage and never had to worry about my china fitting into new color schemes. How about you - do you still love the patterns you chose as a young bride?


I would love to know which of the place settings that you liked the best. My sister and my oldest granddaughter both saw all of the settings, when they were out on my table.  My sister liked the orange one best and, surprisingly, my granddaughter said that she would feel wonderful eating from the gold and silver one. I did not expect that - I guess everyone needs to feel like a princess once in a while!

 I cannot wait to see everyone's interpretation of Kathleen's challenge - what fun!!


Diane


Sharing at:

A Stroll Thru Life for Inspire Me Tuesday

Cuisine Kathleen for Let's Dish

Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Thursday


























22 comments:

  1. I can see you had fun playing with your dishes, Diane! You're so right, your Lenox pattern is so timeless and versatile. I think my favorite settings were the red (my favorite color!) and the blue and white one. Thanks for sharing all you inspirational settings with us. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane, I tried to leave a comment yesterday, but it didn't seem to go through, so I'm trying again. I think this is a brilliant idea! I love all the different ways you've styled your versatile Solitaire, but I think the pink is my favorite. We must have married around the same time, because I chose Lenox Windsong (with similarly shaped pieces) and Royal Doulton Fireglow (with a very similar pattern)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diane, I am so impressed. You remember so many pattern names. You were very successful showing how versatile your Solitaire is and went all out setting eight different tablescapes.
    It is hard to pick a favorite but the beach one is calling my name. This time of year a beach theme is so inviting.
    Hope you are having a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't choose a favorite -- they are all wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Your creations are so beautiful and I love the blue and purple. You are right the pattern is versatile and great to transform with color. It looks as it you had a wonderful time creating each style. have a fabulous week!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diane,
    I love your china...You are so right about it's versatility..and I am so jealous of all of your sterling..so beautiful. I like that you have one named Diane..how cool is that! My favorite is your gold and silver one...
    Love, Mona

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun idea! I can't choose a favorite. I love the versatility of china such as this. We chose a simple pattern as well, and I'm amazed at how easily it is to mix it with other pieces both formal and informal. Thanks for putting this together. I didn't have time to get a table set for the challenge, but your post makes me think I should have simply pulled together photos of previous tables done with our wedding china used in different ways.
    Have a great time at the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Diane, your post pushed me over the brink to get my own post linked to Kathleen's challenge. Thanks for the inspiration! '-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love all of these...don't think I can pick a favorite. I love how each place setting shows how versatile your china is. Score!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. Just. Wow! That pretty much says it all. Thanks for inviting us for a peak. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  11. To me, this is what it is ALL about! Department stores should make this into a flyer and hand out at their wedding registries. I convinced both of my daughters to choose simple white china patterns. One was gold bordered with little gold polka dots in the band from Tiffany's and the other chose platinum bordered white from Wedgewood. They both still love their choices.
    Linda @ A Toile Tale

    ReplyDelete
  12. At first I thought I liked the pink setting best, then I liked the cobalt blue, but then the purple just caught my fancy. After that the beachy blue setting really won me over. All are informal, yet all are equally pleasing to the eye. Great job at demonstrating how many wonderful looks you can get from a one neutral dinner plate.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just love how you used your wedding plates with all those other dishes! I hardly believed they were the same plates! You exceeded the challenge!! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, you were ambitious to do eight so totally different place settings, Diane! Each one beautiful.
    I was never "pink" person, until recently...I even have several clothing items in pink...must be true it is an old lady's friend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, Diane, you were a busy girl!! Thank you for a look at all your choices for use with your china!! You have more than won the challenge, from what I can see! I'm partial to the orange and purple looks, but your other choices are really outstanding. Don't you just love this hobby?! Rosie @ The Magic Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  16. HI Diane,
    Wow, so much versatility and beauty here, love that! My favs were the silver and gold as well, and the one with the cobalt blue.......just so eye catching, but they were all incredibly creative and pretty...........
    Thanks for sharing your great ideas,
    Blessings, Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  17. I knew you have quite a collection Diane, but I never knew this much! And I know you have other china not as fine as these but equally beautiful - WOW! I love them all, and picking out a favorite is super tough!!!! Lovely settings dear!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your Lenox solitaire is so elegant! It is also so versatile! What beautiful scapes you have created! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love how you used the Solitaire in 8 ways! Each is so different and so pretty! Please excuse the delay in visiting, I thought I had been here! Must be the allergy meds! Have a great weekend. Hope to see yu Wed for the Summer Whimsy party!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Diane,
    Thanks to you, I feel less hopeless about setting a fabulous table with my mother's Solitaire. I love color so much and thought I was stuck with boring china for the rest of my life (or until I had the guts to "accidentally" drop it - all of it - on a concrete flooršŸ˜³).
    Is your Solitaire IVORY or WHITE (please say ivory!)? I can't quite tell from the pictures, which are so professional-looking, btw. And while I'm on the subject, what camera did you use to shoot these pics?
    Thanks again for the inspiration. Maybe my Thanksgiving table will look a LOT more festive this year without needing to have an "accident." ;)
    Cheers!
    Samantha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Samantha! How sweet of you to comment on this post. I chose Lenox Solitaire, when I married and, through the years, have been a little frustrated, too. I decided to do this blog to try and help others realized that Solitaire really is quite versatile. My Solitaire is IVORY - yeah! My camera is a Canon Power Shot and I do like it, although, there are not as many settings, as I would like. However, it is easier to use, than the SLR Canon that we, also, own. Since shooting the post, I have invested in two light boxes and they have made a tremendous difference with the lighting issues in my dining room. My husband recently retired, so I have been taking a short break from blogging, but I am anxious to return soon. Good luck with your Thanksgiving table - I would love to see what you do. Send me an e-mail!! So glad the Solitaire dodged the accident with the concrete floor...

      Delete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete