Monday, June 2, 2014

Minton Marlow


Do you have a favorite china pattern that you can use with many different colors?  One pattern that can be used like that is Lenox "Solitaire", which I recently featured in a post, which you can view  HERE.  However, the pattern that I am using this week is "Marlow" by Minton..



I cannot tell you how much I love this china. Do you see all of the beautiful colors of the flowers and the green leaves?  It is amazing and I think that I have used this china with every color you see.  For this post, I chose to use it with pink and blue.



After placing the china on blue place mats and adding pink and blue Fostoria goblets, I thought that I needed something more interesting for the centerpiece.  I finally realized that blue (actually, it is called "lavender") Wedgwood Jasperware would be perfect. Since, Jasperware is one of my many obsessions, I certainly had enough pieces to add to the table.



Of course, pink flowers were a must, so I made a trip to my neighborhood Publix to purchase some stems  and I had the perfect centerpiece for my pink and blue theme!





What is not to love about Jasperware?? All of the colors are gorgeous and, if you have an obsession, I highly recommend a trip to the Birmingham (Alabama) Museum of Art, which houses the Beeson Collection of Wedgwood.  My husband made a trip happen for me on one of my big birthdays and I truly was in china heaven.  Here are just a few of the many treasures that you will see there:



If you would like more information on the Birmingham Museum of Art, you can search the website HERE.




In addition to the Fostoria rose "5098/5298" and the blue "Wilma" goblets, I chose Watson "Bridal Flower" sterling flatware.



I always think of this flatware pattern, when I use "Marlow".  However, the pieces of this pattern, which was discontinued by 1910, are not always easy to find.  I have cream soup bowls and saucers in the "Marlow" pattern, but I do not have "Bridal Flower" soup spoons. I usually use Gorham "Strasbourg", when serving soup.



Pretty white on white embroidered napkins complete the place settings.  I found these napkins on Etsy a few years ago and I still think they are just lovely!!

There are so many things happening in my life right now and I am not sure if I will be doing any more posts for a while.  It will definitely be a "hit or miss" situation.  My husband is retiring this month and we are having to make some huge life decisions!! Of course, this comes at a time, when he has given me a wonderful gift to help create better photographs for the blog!  He bought me a set of soft boxes (told you he is a "keeper"!) to use in my dining room and they have made a world of difference! Shooting white has always been a challenge in that room.  Here is a photo that I took last year using a white tablecloth:



And here is a photograph that I took for this post using the same white Ralph Lauren tablecloth, but with the additional light from the soft boxes:


So much better!!

This is the first table that I have shot using the lights, so I am hoping that I will get better and better in figuring out exactly where to place them.  Oh, happy day!

If anyone is interested in seeing more of Minton "Marlow", you can find many different pieces on several sites, like eBay or Replacements.  There are two marks that were used on this pattern - the older, globe mark that was used from 1938-1958 and the newer, wreath mark that was used from 1959-1997. Most of my pieces have the globe mark, but I have some of the newer ones, too.  Fortunately they look alike, so it is no problem to mixing them together.



There is one more thing that I want to mention, before I close this post.  Over the Memorial Day week-end, one of my dearest friends lost her battle with lung disease.  She had endured a lung transplant eight years ago and was waiting for another.  She could not hold on long enough to receive it. She was very brave and grateful and she lived each day with a positive attitude. Without the first lung transplant, she would not have lived long enough to welcome all four of her grandchildren into the world. She leaves a legacy of three fine young men that she and her husband raised and their beautiful families.  She, also, leaves behind many grieving friends.  She loved life (she is the one in the middle in the back who is laughing), but when it was time to leave this earth, she did that with grace.  There is a good lesson for all of us here - we know what it is, but sometimes we forget.  Live each day with gratitude and, "when death finds you, hope it finds you alive" (Japanese proverb).  Rest in peace, sweet Mary. I will miss you always...

Hope to be back in blogland, as soon as possible!!

Diane





Sharing at:

A Stroll Thru Life for Inspire Me Tuesday

Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Thursday


17 comments:

  1. Beautiful post! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful table, Diane! The china is gorgeous. I love that it has so many different colors, it makes it so versatile. Your Wedgwood is very pretty as well.
    Congrats on your husband's retirement! And...I'm sorry about the loss of your friend. Just seeing her in the picture, I can tell she enjoyed life. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sweet of your hubby to buy you the soft boxes, Diane. I've never heard of them! Congratulations on his retirement and best of luck in those decisions. I'm sorry about the loss of your dear friend.
    Your dishes are so beautiful and I love your collection of Jasperware.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diane, I am so sorry about the loss of your dear friend. The photo proves she was well-loved by many friends. Your table is absolutely gorgeous! I can see why you adore that Minton pattern, and the centerpiece is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry for your loss Diane. Beautiful tablescape, love the Jasperware.
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your minton Marlow are indeed gorgeous but I must admit I am smitten most by your Wedgewood Jasperware Diane! I have always love these but didn't know what they were called and now I know!!! Love the pinks and blues and your right about the flowers too! Your hubs is solo sweet, sometimes you don't need fancy gifts but thoughtful gifts like these that truly count! He is a definite keeper! Good luck with all the changes, knowing you, you will adjust well dear, with a huge smile on your face to boot for sure! Sorry about your dear friend, but the proverb is so right. We don't know when it will come, but we sure wanna be ready and happy too when it does get here. Yesterday, I slipped 3 flights of stair which gave me a huge scare since I couldn't get up, luckily baby is ok just a sore behind for me, have to be careful at this point since I'm not just taking care of ME but another VIP in my life! Hope you have a wonderful day dear!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very pretty table...and I am so very sorry to hear about your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness . . . your table setting is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry for your loss Diane.Thank you to visit me and i am touched by your writing that you'll save my mothers advice.so sweet of you.When we practice it it is very true. You have shared a beautiful post.Love those blue wares.Awesome.Have a great week..:):)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Diane,
    Oh my, what a dear sweet friend you had in Mary and she in you. I am so sorry for your loss.
    Your china is beautiful! I love floral patterns, but oh my stars your flatware just took my breath away! amazing and so pretty!.
    Have a sweet day, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! I love that Minton pattern!!

    Big Texas Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your Wedgwood collection. I love jasperware as well. It's so delicate. The Minton dishes are perfect and lovely with your blue and pink table. I wish you a lote of patience and bravery for the decisions to come.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. The soft boxes make an amazing difference, thanks for that tip.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your table is STUNNING!! I love the blue and pink together and you showcase your exquisite china beautifully.
    I am so very sorry for the loss of your dear friend. Keep the memories of your friendship deep in your heart, and she will never be far from you.
    Take care, Rosie @ The Magic Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your Wedgwood is to die for! So pretty...and perfect for this table with that beautiful china.

    ReplyDelete
  16. First, I'm really, really sorry about your friend. She looks in the photo to have been a very friendly and outgoing lady. I know it's difficult to carry this burden, and I hope you can find peace.

    So your husband's retiring, huh? That's great...and not so great. My husband hasn't retired, but he has a job that has him at home more often now. I love that, except now he wants to "participate." I don't want for him to "participate" because he's slowing me down and making me very nervous. He wants to go everywhere I go. Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden. No, thank you! I'm very happy he's at home more, but I need to find him a hobby!

    Congratulations on your new toy!!!!! Wow...I'd love to have a couple of soft boxes for shooting around here! I have no idea where I'd store them, but they sure would make photography less of an editing chore!

    Your table is very, very pretty. The pink and blue together look fantastic! The Wedgwood is fabulous!!! It looks really right at home in this setting. As for those fabulous napkins and incredible silverware....I'm eating my heart out right now. Please pass the fava beans! :-)

    Have a great weekend, and I hope to see you back around soon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, Diane! I haven't been around much lately, and I've missed you! (I wanted to tell you that first!). Then, my condolences on your loss. I think it's wonderful that Mary is the one who has the great laugh in this picture. She must've been special to have had you as a friend.

    Your table is, as always, lovely. The crystal, the china, the sterling, the napkins, the Jasperware...each is so pretty in its own right, and sooo lovely together! Someday you're going to have to do a "where do I keep it all" post, because you just seem to keep pulling more and more beautiful, quality pieces with each post. I enjoy it all so much.

    I've been hit or miss and may for a while still; lots going on, but don't forget the first thing I wrote--I've missed you, and will miss you going forward.

    My best wishes to you and your husband as you adjust to this new phase. ~Zuni

    ReplyDelete