Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Obsession Number Eight - Fostoria Glassware


Little did I know that almost 47 years ago, when I married and chose my everyday glassware that I would start a love affair with Fostoria.





Avocado green and harvest gold were all of the rage in those days and I had chosen a china pattern with green.  These simple Fostoria "Mesa" glasses were the ones that stole my heart and I still appreciate and use them today. However, my Fostoria collection has grown just a bit (lol!), since the 60s.

This post was not written to give you the entire history of Fostoria, but I will tell you that the Fostoria Glass Company began in 1887 and last factory closed in 1986.  A few patterns were made by the Dalzell-Viking factory from the original molds, until 1998.

The history of the Fostoria Glass Company and all of the beautiful glass that they made is extremely interesting and I highly recommend that you purchase one of the many books written about them. Even though much of the Fostoria pieces were made during the Depression years, Fostoria is one of the companies considered to have produced, "Elegant Glassware of the Depression Era". Most patterns are not really considered "Depression Glass".




I decided to arrange my patterns by age and the ones in this photo were designed in the 1920s.




My oldest pattern is "Spartan" green and was introduced in 1927.  It was discontinued in 1944. It has a #5097 stem and a #80 needle etched pattern. It was made in green, clear, amber and plum.




In 1928, the 5098/5298 (5298 indicates an optic bowl) line was begun.  The #5098 stem has, also, been called the petal stem and the goblets from this line have been referred to as "Fairfax".  The reason for the reference to the petal stem is because looking down into the glass, the stem ends in a petal form:




The reference to "Fairfax" is inaccurate, as I soon discovered, when trying to purchase pieces of this line.  "Fairfax" refers to the matching dinnerware, serving pieces and accessories, like candlesticks. You can see a couple of those - a mayonnaise bowl and bonbon dish in the third photo in this post. 5098/5298 was made in seven colors and mine is rose. The pieces in this line were manufactured, until approximately 1940, and were used as blanks for etched patterns, like "June" and "Versailles".




Speaking of "Versailles" - this pattern was etched on four different colors: blue, green, rose and topaz.  All, except for topaz, used the 5098/5298 blank.  For some inexplicable reason, topaz was applied to a completely different blank! The stem used for it is #5099! Collecting always leads to these wonderful little mysteries. This same stem was used for another topaz etching called "Trojan". "Trojan" was made in rose, too.  I own topaz "Versailles" and a couple of the topaz "Trojan" goblets seen below:




Both of these patterns were discontinued in 1936.




 Here are my patterns from the 30s, 40s, and 50s.




Fostoria "Westchester" was made from 1935, until 1942.  It was made in five options - amethyst, clear, cobalt, green and ruby.  I am fortunate to own ruby.  There is no way to photograph or describe the beauty of the red color of these goblets.  They are truly stunning. The stems are #6012. These stems were used for several other patterns.  I believe that all of the others were clear with some sort of etching or cutting  on them.




"Holly" was a pattern that had an extremely long production run.  It was manufactured from 1942, until 1980. It was made using a #6030 stem and a beautiful cut pattern of holly around the glass. It is very thin and delicate.  It was only made in clear, although Fostoria did later manufacture a pattern of green giftware also called "Holly".  However, it looks nothing like these beautiful goblets.




Pieces in the "Fascination" line were made from 1958-1974.  The options were clear, lilac and ruby. Mine are lilac.  The stem is #6080, which was used, again, on "Trousseau".  This was a clear pattern with platinum trim, which Fostoria continued producing, until 1982.

One of the many things that has contributed to my obsession with Fostoria is the use of so many different and beautiful stems. The variety is amazing.



The last grouping of my Fostoria is from the 60s, 70s, and 80s, which includes those first glasses from my wedding tableware.




Almost everyone probably has encountered a piece or two of "Jamestown" at some point.  The "Jamestown" line offered glassware in amber, avocado green, blue, brown, clear, green, pink, purple, and ruby.  "Jamestown" brown was produced from 1961-1982. Some of the other colors were in production, as early as 1958.  These glasses are quite heavy, since they  were made of pressed glass.




Fostoria's "Andover"  is a beautiful, gold-encrusted pattern made between 1964 and 1974.  The stem is #6097, which was used on quite a few different patterns.  One is very similar to "Andover".  It is called "Richmond" and has gold trim without the encrusting. Fostoria made very few gold-encrusted patterns and "Andover" is my favorite by far.




I have already discussed my dear, old "Mesa" glasses, which were made from 1967, until 1974.  However, I did not tell you the color choices, which were available at the time.  This line came in amber, blue, brown, clear, olive green, and red. My daughter owns some of the brown and it is really pretty. Anyway, I found these fabulous matching salad plates recently on eBay and was thrilled to add them to my collection.




Oh, these crazy, wonderful "Moonstone"  wine glasses and sherbets! Fostoria manufactured these for eight years, between 1974 and 1982.  I must admit that they are not particularly my style and there are several other colors that I would have liked better.  The options were clear, dark blue, green, light blue, peach, pink, plum, taupe and this yellow.  However, on one of my visits to Replacements, I found the sherbets in the clearance room.  Have you ever been to Replacements?  Oh my goodness, the trip is worth just seeing the clearance room!!!  Anyway, the price was too good to ignore, so here I am with my "Moonstone".  The funny thing is that I have used these so often, especially in tablescaping - who would have guessed??




Dear reader, thank you for your patience!!  This has been a very long post, but we finally have arrived at my last pattern!
This one is called "Wilma".  It looks much older, but was made from 1974-1982. It came in several different colors (blue, iridescent, pink) and clear.  "Wilma" was used as a blank for other patterns, like "Navarre", "Meadow Rose", "Regis" and several others. The stem is #6016 and is gorgeous!

I wish that I owned all of the Fostoria famous patterns - "American", "American Lady", "Colonial Dame", "Coin", etc. However, I do have a few years left, so I guess I had better close this post and do some "Windows" shopping on eBay - lol!!

Seriously, if you have any questions regarding Fostoria patterns, please send me an e-mail or include it in a comment.  I would be happy to help .  I love doing research and it would fun for me!

P.S.  Have a look in your glass stash and I'll bet there is a Fostoria pattern in there somewhere! I would love to hear about your favorite.


Diane







 


10 comments:

  1. Diane, what a wonderful post! I enjoyed seeing your extensive collection of Fostoria. I sent a link to your post to my mom, whose wedding crystal is Fostoria Navarre. She also has my grandmother's collection of Fostoria Royal-Amber.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing - and my question is - how long did it take you to set this all up - and how long to put it back in the cupboards? Stunning photos - the glasses are so shiny and bright - love all the different colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so knowledgeable! Amazing that you love to do research too.

    I love Fostoria and have my mother's Meadow Rose plus a number of stems and dessert plates I have bought.

    You do have a large collection that requires storage. It took some time to set all the glasses up for your beautiful pics.

    I enjoyed your post, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Diane, what a collection. I'm in love with the red ones, and the Wilma pattern looks so pretty. I'm really liking your moonstone pattern, too. I think I only have a Fostoria pitcher and a cream and sugar, in my stash, and that's it! I also have a pretty butter dish, but I'm not sure if it's Fostoria.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing collection! I'd never heard of Fostoria but here in the UK we have bohemian glass which is coloured. I love the designs on yours - thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the sweet comment! I found your blog and so happy to see it. I have visited England several times and love your country, especially the beauty of the countryside and the tableware!!

      Delete
  6. Well, you make me regret disposing of the few pieces of Fostoria that I owned. Throughout multiple moves and due to breakage, I had odd lots of glasses so I donated them to a charity shop.

    I loved learning so much about color, patters, stems, etc.

    And I guess I need to start hunting for some Fostoria.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing collection, I think it wonderful that your collection is so close to your heart. Keep doing your window shopping and enjoy, that's what life is all about!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting Diane and my, what a wonderful collection you have!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello my dear Dianne,
    OMG! your collections priceless. Your feel you taste is like mine §:-)

    Love every inch of your treasure.and thank you for sharing to us, spec. me. I drooled all the way down.

    Happy happy Holidays and may God shower his blessings to you and yours.

    Hugs from D´Box,
    /CC

    ReplyDelete