Thursday, January 29, 2015

To My Valentine...


At my house, we always have a double celebration on February 14th.  We celebrate Valentine's Day, of course, but also, we celebrate my husband's birthday.



Each year, I try to honor him on Confessions of the Obsessed. Last year was the exception - I honored his mother, instead.  She had a big birthday in February that was worth celebrating, but you can read about that special occasion HERE. This year, the post is all about my Valentine!!



This post, especially, is an opportunity to say, "Thank you!" for all of the wonderful things that he does for me and the rest of our family. He is a master of doing thoughtful things...



What do you say, about a man who recently went to fetch the mail from the mailbox and, on returning, presented me with a copy of "Southern Lady" magazine.  He had secretly subscribed to the the magazine for me.  I so enjoy reading that magazine, but had no idea that he had ever heard me mention it.  How can you not absolutely adore someone who knows you so well and would go to all of that trouble???? Thank you, dear...



Last summer, after he retired, we went on a long driving trip to New York state and other surrounding states, as well.  On our way home, I mentioned that Lenox had a warehouse outlet in Cranbury, New Jersey. Amazingly enough, I had a great coupon, which was still good.  Of course, he insisted that we stop and he patiently waited, while I shopped.  He helped by showing me a few things that he thought I might like (I did!) and I had the time of my life in that store.  For those of you who live nearby, I am totally jealous!!!  I wish I could spend a week-end there...



For those of you who do not live near the warehouse, here is a collage of some of the photos I took, while shopping.  China heaven!!!



He has surprised me so many times with things that he heard me mention once or, maybe, twice.



Once he arrived home, after work, and gave me this stunning Towle "Princess" sterling tomato server. This piece, I had mentioned more than twice!!  It is one of the most beautiful pieces of silver that I have ever seen.  I thought I might receive it for a birthday or Christmas gift (at least, I was hoping!!). However, he bought it early and gave it to me, because Replacements had only one and he was afraid that it might be gone, before some occasion came along.  Can you see the cut-out tomatoes and leaves in the bowl????  Isn't it gorgeous!  I can never thank him enough for this one.



I do not want you to think that I love him, because of the things that he gives me.  It is not that at all.  It is because he pays attention to the things that interest me and makes me feel that they are important - that I am important to him. I cannot think of anything that could make me happier.  He is better to me than I deserve, I am sure, but I am grateful that he keeps me around...

He is smart and funny and has the most beautiful eyes that I have ever seen.  He is a great dad, grandfather, brother, son and husband and I can never express to him how much I love him.  I have known him, since I was 14 years old and I hope that I will know him still, when I am 114!! And who says love cannot last????

Happy Birthday, dear - I love you to the moon and back and I hope this wasn't too embarrassing - lol!!


Diane








Sharing at:

Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Thursday

Bargain Decorating with Laurie for Valentine Par-tay!











20 comments:

  1. He is quite the catch Diane - such a sweet, caring, thoughtful and darling husband! You both are blesses to have each other! Happy birthday to him! And happy Valentines day to you two! Love the black, red and white combo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a beautiful post about your love for your sweetheart, Diane, and I am writng this with tears in my eyes. He's a keeper for sure and I'm sure he feels the same about you with all the loving things he does for you. How lucky we both are to have known our sweethearts since we were 14. I wish mine was still with me, but he'll always be in my heart.
    By the way, your table is gorgeous! I have that same Mikasa English Countryside pattern.
    Happy soon to be birthday to your hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how sweet! Happy Birthday to your husband!

    I love your table. Something about that red,white & black is just so eye catching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a wonderful post about your husband! Happy early birthday to him. Beautiful table as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a beautiful tablescape and a great post about your thoughtful husband!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful love story! You are truly blessed to have each other. I love your tablescape. The little heart shaped bowls are just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your table setting is beautiful...may you have a meaningful combination celebration for your husband's birthday and Valentine's. You are blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful table and it sounds like you have a one in a million guy. I need to get busy and do a Valentine's Table. Thank you for dropping in on my blog. I am your newest follower, you have a lovely blog.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh what a wonderful tribute to a sweet hubby you have. He reminds me of mine who takes me places that he knows I will enjoy. What beautiful little heart plates you have! I would love to go to that Lenox store. Wow! Thank you for praying for our precious and brave Rea....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful table and a wonderful tribute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, no one is going to beat you on a romantic post! What a wonderful man! The table is so fun, especially those little heart plates and I love it on the checked cloth.
    I have never seen a tomato spoon like that! What a find. How fun that he listens and then surprises you! Give him a hug for me - he is a great example!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this sweet table.............it is beautiful, but even more beautiful was this wonderful post about your
    hubby...........that is such a blessing to hear, as it is sort of a rarity these days. We have been married
    44 yrs. and have taught marriage classes for years, so it is always a thrill to me to see folks who have
    been married many many years and they are still happily married, not just enduring...........

    May you have many many more wonderful years together,
    Blessings, Nellie

    and Happy Birthday to your hubby and Happy Valentines Day too, just a tad early!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a great celebration!

    - Alma, The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  14. Diane, visiting you from Normandy France today via Laurie's par tay.
    Your special occasion table is so lovely, perfect for your Valentine.
    I think he's a keeper, n'est pas?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your table is perfect for a more masculine Valentine, I just love the black and white check paired with the red and pink roses~ Your hubs sounds like a really great guy~my oldest son was born on Valentine's Day too and he is also super sweet and thoughtful...Hmmm, I'm guessing people born on Valentine's Day really are Sweethearts :)
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  16. He is definitely a keeper. How wonderful that he listens and picks up on something you want and then surprises you with it. I love my sweetheart, but I'm afraid I have to practically hit him over the head. Your table looks so pretty. Black and white with red and pink - perfect V'tine combination. Thank you for joining the party at my place.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Okay, now I've had myself a good cry! What lovely things you've said about your husband. You hit the nail on the head: It's how they show their love! The tomato spoon happens to be an amazing perk! It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful tribute to your Valentine!! Happy birthday to him. Beautiful table, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Diane, I had tears welling up in my eyes reading this beautiful tribute to your very thoughtful husband. I love knowing that true love is alive and well, especially for you and your sweetheart. Wishing your Valentine a very happy birthday and a lovely Valentine's day to the both of you! (I also teared a little knowing that I probably will never get to visit the Lenox outlet center).... Candy

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful tribute to the man you love...and a beautiful table, too!

    ReplyDelete