Monday, March 2, 2015

The Emerald Isle!


Once, again, it is time to join together with our Irish friends to honor St. Patrick! I have chosen to celebrate by setting a a table in the Irish flag colors.



The Irish flag was introduced by Thomas Francis Meagher in 1848. The green represents the Irish people, most of whom are Catholic. The orange color represents the British supporters of William of Orange who settled in Northern Ireland in the 17th century most of whom are Protestant. The white in the center represents the peace between the two groups. Thomas Meagher on the meaning of the Irish flag said, "The white in the center signifies a lasting truce between the Orange and the Green; and I trust that beneath its folds the hands of the Irish Protestant and the Irish Catholic may be clasped in heroic brotherhood." Thanks to the Enchanted Learning website for this information.



When I think of Ireland, I think of Shamrocks, beautiful crystal and the shades of green. This lovely old Belleek "Shamrock" sugar and creamer, definitely, reminds me of my visit to the Emerald Isle a few years ago.



Green and gold were my choices for setting the table this year, along with touches of orange.



Lots of Irish crystal - Waterford and Galway. Oh, how I love the way it sparkles!!!




The water glass with the gold rim is "Andover" by Fostoria and is an American piece.   Don't you love the Irish Leprechaun with the "Lucky Irish" shamrock.  He is one of my favorite pieces to use this time of the year.




Another favorite piece is this Bordallo Pinheiro teapot in the "St. Patrick" pattern. I found this at Goodwill.  Can you imagine anyone giving this away???




The remainder of the place setting consists of "Donatello" gold flatware by Ricci, Syracuse "Wayne" gold encrusted salad plates, cups and saucers and Mikasa "Ming Green" dinner plates.  I am hoping using all of the gold will help in my quest to find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow!!!



Kathleen of Cuisine Kathleen challenges bloggers to bring out the green and celebrate St. Patrick's Day with her.  This year we will link up and enjoy seeing all of the beautiful tables in the Blog Crawl. I cannot wait - it is so much fun each year.


I hope all of you enjoy your St. Patrick's Day, whether or not you are Irish.  I have to confess each year that I do have Irish roots, but I am afraid they are Orange and not Green!  I am just happy that the Irish flag honors both.  I am leaving you with a few more photos from my table. I hope you all find your pot of gold!!!




Diane










Sharing at:

Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Thursday 

Cuisine Kathleen for the St. Patrick's Day Blog Crawl 













22 comments:

  1. Great table. I too cannot imagine why someone would have given that teapot away.

    - Alma, The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Diane, I am simply swooning over that teapot! What a great find that was. Your table is gorgeous, as always. Rich and I visited Ireland and it was our dream trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh this is elegant and fun! That teapot is so unique- what a treasure! Love the leprechauns. The pop of orange and the flowers really bring this together nicely! I'm starting my ideas for mine but haven't gotten too far! See you at the party next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband retired too, at the end of Jan, that is why we are moving back to FL. But oh, the work involved before we could even move. I have way too much stuff and have started downsizing but it does not seem like there is even a dent yet, lol. I shouldn't have furnished the FL home but I did, now I have to sell a lot. Anyway, your tables are always set so elegantly. I really love that tea pot!...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  5. How beautiful! The crystal is as good as a pot of gold! I love your little leprechauns too. I don't have anything adorable like you do. This is really clever and fun.
    I learned about the flag too. I know my parents always argued about the orange and green but I didn't know what it signified. It is always fun to learn and that punch of orange is great and goes so well with the gold.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed learning the history of the Irish flag Diane, and how clever to use orange in your tablescape~ Of course Waterford crystal is perfect, and the shamrock tea pot and sugar and creamer are adorable! Your gold flatware is a treasure too! Happy St. Patrick's Day!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm....the crystal pieces? the china (all of it!)? the colors??? This table is just sooo cool, Diane. I love that you thought to incorporate the orange, as most St. P things are green or green and white. Very clever, and resulting in a very striking table! Love it as usual!! :) ~Zuni

    ReplyDelete
  8. Diane,
    Your table is beautiful.. I just love the sparkle of the crystal too. and those green plates make me happy! and my sweet friend, your photography is looking mighty good..
    Such a beautiful setting for St Patty's...
    Love, Mona

    ReplyDelete
  9. Diane, such an elegant table to celebrate St. Patrick's Day. Starting with the flowers in the crystal pitcher and the green and gold china place setting, just lovely. I am very fond of Belleek with it's amazing woven pattern. Great pattern on the lovely green teapot. Enjoyed reading the history of the flag.
    Happy St. Patrick's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the addition of the orange! The teapot is so much fun. Love all the crystal, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So very elegant, Diane! Your crystal and china are beautiful and what lovely flowers. The pop of orange was clever. Are the leprechauns Annalee dolls?
    Can't believe anyone would discard the sweet shamrock teapot. Glad you found it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Diane, This is such a great post! I made an Irish flag salad for my table tonight, but I love the orange scattered around yours. And those plates with the gold rims are stunning! Your leprechauns may be mischievous but their eyes are smiling--truly Irish eyes. What an amazing find in the teapot. Enjoy your pretty table. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you get the prize for elegance this year! All your fine things look so festive with the fun touches -- nice juxtaposition.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow so pretty Diane. The colours, cut glasses and the tea pot all makes the table truly a Irish connection. You have done a great job. Love Sujatha:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a clever interpretation, and a gorgeous table!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Diane. I am new to tablescaping and have really been enjoying the beautiful and creative tablescapes that are being shared on Tablescape Thursdays. Your post is great! The standouts for me are the information about the Irish flag, the Irish crystal, and the overall elegance of the setting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So lovely and elegant...love this look! Beautiful shamrock china...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful table. Using those orange napkins added the perfect punch of color! Love all the sparkly crystal, too! Happy St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The shamrock teapot was such a lucky find. I love when that happens. Your Saint Patrick's Day tablescape is beautifully elegant with the colors of the Irish flag. Have a wonderful weekend..... Candy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful table, Diane...I am so enjoying all the green, it's like I died and went to green heaven! Wish I were a tea drinker so I could collect cute teapots, I have passed up so many lovely teapots while thrifting...second thought maybe it's a good thing I am not, where ever would I put them! Love your little leprechauns.
    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful! I love Waterford too, but I adore that teapot. Someone was cra cra to give that away, it is so pretty! Wonderful table! My thanks for your friendship and crawling again this year! Happy SPD!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful - your crystal is gorgeous and I love the orange napkins!

    ReplyDelete